What is it with people? - Vintage Mustang Forums

15Likes

post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

What is it with people?

Ive got my 64 F100, 07 Harley and 15 Indian on CL.

Im thinning the herd to make room for new stuff.

I get daily emails from people who have not bothered to come and see what they are interested in, their only interest is in how far down they can beat down the price.

I wonder if many of these people are re-sellers looking for a bargain or just people who are bored and web surfing.

No one ever asks me the questions that a potential buyer should be asking when buying a 53 year old truck.

These things are priced to move, but Im not giving them away. Ive never gotten a decent trade offer.

It makes me want to build another garage and keep all of it.
j persons and Israel like this.

1964 F100 292/AT Au Revoir old friend
2010 F150 Scab (mine)
2014 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible (hers)
2012 Caliber (hers under protest)
2015 Indian Vintage (mine)
2007 Harley Heritage Softail Classic (hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 AM

My response is "I only negotiate in person. If you aren't interested in looking in person, you aren't interested in owing this vehicle."

Wayne

1967 C code convertible

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:05 AM

"What's your bottom dollar?"

DUMBEST TEXT TO SEND A SELLER.

I feel your pain...I'm trying to offload a 24' car hauler and people wanna trade a bag on peanuts for it...

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:15 AM

If I get a 2nd response from a buyer I ask them to make me an offer. This has resulted in a conversation that has sold several on craigslist.
The serious buyers will come in person. The real bargain hunters will ask lowest price 1st.

Wayne

1967 C code convertible

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:25 AM

I agree with the "make an offer" idea.

If I've put a price on something, I don't back off that price and give a different price. THat's just me negotiating with me and beating myself down to boot. Why would I do that?

Put a price on it and if someone asks for your "lowest price", give them the reasons you know it is worth what your asking but, if you are flexible on price, say "But I'll consider any firm offer you make on the item."

Part of it is, no one wants to pay more than they have to, even if they are a very serious buyer. Part of it is that some people (especially on Craigslist) ask WAY too much $ up front just fish for a sucker or to give themselves wiggle room down the road. I don't (personally) play that game either. I figure out what something is worth and that's where I start trying to sell it. Then again, I don't (ever) put up anything for sale that I don't want to see gone.

I've had VERY good luck selling vehicles on CL. Last one sold in about 12 hours. Did I not ask enough? No. I went on KBB and did my homework and that's the starting price. It was a work vehicle and the buyer bought a different truck from me a few years back and he knows I don't BS in my description and my stuff is maintained right. Paid full price. Didn't even bother asking anything other than "next time you want to sell a truck, call me first."

Which is another good point...you need to make money on every deal, but keep an eye on the long game. A satisfied buyer who knows they got good value is an asset down the road.

Phil
IndyFive-O likes this.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:34 AM

With so many scams today, where did you meet and how were you paid?

Wife,........."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted piece of sheet."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:42 AM

State in your ad "NO TEXTS, NO EMAILS" Calls only excepted. That usually weeds out the tire kickers and scammers!
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastang68 View Post
State in your ad "NO TEXTS, NO EMAILS" Calls only excepted. That usually weeds out the tire kickers and scammers!
Also the kids and teenagers who are trolling Craig's list and aggravating people just for yucks.

There is another angle to this also. In a lot of foreign countries, someone's asking price is just where you start to try and talk them down. Well now days, a lot of those foreigners are in the U.S. I have read some news articles of people with this mentality trying to talk down even grocery stores on their prices.
Fastang68 likes this.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec

331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

One of the last tnt's on my 289 may she rest in pieces. It ran in the
high 11's low 12's when it was at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWPZGfMT0

Last edited by macstang; 03-17-2017 at 10:48 AM.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

My bottom line for this truck is 10k. It is 100% rust free. Frame, pans, cowl, inside the doors, bed. No rust anywhere. I dont know how much filler is in it. Im guessing the 292/AT are original and have never been rebuilt. Its a nice driver, sure it could use more work as any 50 year old vehicle can, but IMO 10k is a fair price. If it doesnt sell, I will keep it. I cant build another or find another in this condition for 10k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowered.jpg (33.2 KB, 53 views)

1964 F100 292/AT Au Revoir old friend
2010 F150 Scab (mine)
2014 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible (hers)
2012 Caliber (hers under protest)
2015 Indian Vintage (mine)
2007 Harley Heritage Softail Classic (hers)
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:09 PM

my favorite are when I get - what's the best you can do since I have to drive three hours to your place? why do people always think I should drop the price because they live too far away?
Israel likes this.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Just some guy

Garage
My wife tags along with me to swap meets and knows my style. (She says) If I dither around and keep coming back to something it means I want it but don't want to pay the asking price. What I think I'm doing is coming up with my best offer that they will either take or leave. I'm not much into back and forth haggling. Last time I was doing this she got tired of waiting around and marched up to the guy and said "What's the least you'll take for it?" NO! Crap. NO! That's NOT how you do it. But anyway the guy was thick skinned and didn't mind. I paid the man (still a bit too much), left, and had a little discussion with wifey. I really dislike when people throw a bottom dollar question like that at me and I won't do it to others.
2+2=GT350 likes this.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:59 PM

I use a non-pc word for these people. It was a medical word for a few hundred years. The word also matches my mustangs timing sometimes. It starts with an R and ends in etarded. LOL.
I sell stuff online all the time.
I constantly get people who offer me 50% or more OFF my asking price.
I think to myself. WTF is wrong with these people all the time.
Why would someone start a negotiation so low? If I want $1,000.00 for an item. What the heck makes them think I will accept an offer of $200.00, or $500.00?
I don't get it either.
69bosssvt likes this.

Joe in Detroit
1969 Mustang Sports Roof (SAG = Sports Appearance Group) 1 of only 5,729
1966 Ranchero Custom 1 of only 11,000 made. (For Sale)
2014 Mustang V6 premium pony package
1969 Mustang Grande (sold)

Personal Quote from 5-1-15. ''DRIVE IT LIKE YOU HAVE TO POOP!"

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"
Tom Petty, Runnin Down A Dream.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:22 PM

Garage
People seem to think that just because it's craigslist means that it should be half off the price you're listing it at. In any post/ad I'll put "I'm open to fair offers but no low balling and am not going to respond to your offer of half what I'm selling it for." People are stupid and lazy and I bet even if you agreed to sell something for half the price that some percentage of those people wouldn't even show up or you'd never hear from them again.

1965 Shelby GT-350 Clone, 351w 450hp/tq, TFS 185cc Aluminum Heads, Edelbrock Air Gap Intake, 650cfm Holley Ultra Double Pumper, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, T-5, 4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes, Shelby 1" drop, Bilstein Sport Valved Shocks, Maier Racing 620 coils, Moog UCA's/LCA's, Adjustable Strut Rods, Opentracker Roller Spring Perches, Competition Crossmember, 1 1/8" Front Sway Bar, Maier Racing 4.5 Mid-Eye Leaf Springs, 9" Ford 3.50 Trac Lock, 3" Shelby Side Exhaust, 17" Foose Wheels.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:40 PM

The best text I ever got was for an ad I had on Craigslist, I had a haybine for sale for $2800 and a hay rake for sale for $1200, guy texts me and asks me if I'd take $2800 for both. So you just want me to toss in the hay rake for free then? I didn't even respond to that kind of bs.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:00 PM

My favorite example was a car ad that got a reply from a guy in/near the Arctic Circle. He proceeds to tell me that to put my car on a boat to Seattle and then onto a truck for the final XXX miles was going to cost him multiple thousands of dollars so the best he could do was some number that was seriously inadequate. I ignored him, Two days later I sold the car locally at nearly full price, all cash. The guy then follows up indignantly as if I OWE him a reply. Since he asked, I told him his decision to live next door to Nanook of the North is not my problem and for him to think that I would subsidize his choice of residence is delusional. To rub salt in the wounds, I snarkily told him the car has been sold so best of luck in your search.....
fordguy and happystang like this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA has moved on to its next caretaker*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page