F!U! DTE and Ticketmaster! F!U! RANT ON! - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

13Likes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 AM

My wife was really on me hard about seeing "The Celtic Women" and they are coming here in May. I buzz on over to F*master and pick up two tickets. The tickets themselves are not too expensive....but, the dang stuff that the rip off ticketmasters add on is just outrageous.

When I told her how much the total for her extravaganza costs, she said "What?" I don't mind paying...but getting bent over in the transaction is just nauseating. Oh well, if it keeps her happy....I guess. She did tell me that I have to wear a suit to the event. Say What! I ain't wearing no suit. Dang, what happened to just wearing a pocket tee to the Doobie brothers concert or Moody Blues. I hate having to dress up....
DrHawkeye likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 AM

Garage
I have not been to a concert since the early 90's. A band that my wife & I like was going to be playing locally & I would surprise her & get tickets. Holy S@#T the prices are crazy expensive, $372.00 each seat for row H on the floor, second level seats are $196.00 each. Are they nuts with these prices?. I think back in the 80's & early 90's when I saw most of my share of rock concerts the most I paid for tickets was $50.00. Prices for sporting events is just as insane.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.

Last edited by MikeG69; 03-18-2017 at 10:41 AM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_H View Post
Agree, if I had to pick one corporation to just completely, utterly, and irrevocably destroy, it would be Ticketmaster. I HATE that group so much.

I don't appreciate the scalping.
I don't appreciate the $15 rape fee.
I don't appreciate the artificially high ticket prices.

The whole thing is just ****ed up. The only bands I've been able to go see recently were Iron Maiden and Motley Crue, both of whom specifically dictated that their ticket prices could not be increased and both of whom sold through sources other than Ticketmaster. I also got to see the Doobie Brothers / Journey, but just because I was a walk-up and they were offloading tickets at the door.

It's a real shame because I legitimately think that Ticketmaster is singlehandedly a huge factor contributing to the decline of our music culture. Unless you like niche smaller bands, it is really difficult to be able to go see more than a couple concerts a year because it just isn't affordable. Fortunately, I am mostly in the metal scene and those shows are definitely a lot cheaper than more standard rock.
Not many metal/rock bands playing the big places anymore. In the last few years, Maiden, Sabbath, Journey, I think are the only shows I've seen in arenas or sheds. Def Lep is there, but I haven't seen them in years because of the package they're doing (and the cost of good seats). Most of the shows I'm seeing lately are at smaller clubs, and price can vary big-time on those.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG69 View Post
I have not been to a concert since the early 90's. A band that my wife & I like was going to be playing locally & I would surprise her & get tickets. Holy S@#T the prices are crazy expensive, $372.00 each seat for row H on the floor, second level seats are $196.00 each. Are they nuts with these prices?. I think back in the 80's & early 90's when I saw most of my share of rock concerts the most I paid for tickets was $50.00. Prices for sporting events is just as insane.
Back in the day, bands made their money selling albums; now they don't make jack for album sales (F you iTunes). Now they make money by touring, so that's why ticket cost has been going way up, and most bands have special packages that increase ticket price by adding goodies, M&Gs, special access, etc, and that will take up the first 20-25 rows. Getting nosebleed seats is the only way to get cheap seats.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:25 AM

Garage
When Tool started touring again and tickets went on sale at the end of 2015, I logged on to Stubhub to look at the seating chart for the venue I was interested in. This was the day before the tickets went on sale.... for some reason, it showed a big list of tickets in the list like they were for sale. It wouldn't let me buy, however. Early the next day, I looked at it again anticipating the need to see where my seats would be and it was blank. Later, within minutes after tickets went on sale and I came up empty handed, I checked Stubhub again and the list of tickets for sale was full again... I was so pissed off, I haven't tried to get Tool tickets again. I feel like they are not releasing all tickets at the time they go on sale and are putting them on the resale sites to make more profit. When I went to Philly to see Pearl Jam and saw a Stubhub booth inside the arena, all I could do was shake my head.

This was passed about 6 months ago:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...nate-bill/3183

Mike Manley

'69 Mustang Mach 1 - 351W 4V, 4 Speed Toploader
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:36 PM

I remember the good old days, when Zeppelin or the Who would play the Garden, they would only sell tickets through the mail. We used to wait for the sales announcement, write up a check and drive into midtown Manhattan to the post office directly across the street from the garden and drop our envelope into the local mail box.
Got 6th row seats for Zeppelin and 18 row for the Who. $16 if I remember correctly.
1970s,the good old days.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:45 PM

Can't help playing devil's advocate. First I'll say the ticket re sellers like Stub Hub piss me off too! How many are against free enterprise?
We don't have to buy ridicules priced tickets. It's not like jacking up price of water to $100/gal to people dying for lack of drinkable water after Katrina!

Not a rant, just a comment!
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:24 AM

Funny story about Tool. I was out drinking a beer with a buddy a couple of years ago and he was telling me that he was looking up old friends on Facebook. He looked up one of his childhood friends named Adam Jones, and as you Tool fans know he is the bands guitarist. Wasn't long till my friend was backstage at a Tool concert. Regarding getting tickets, I use Ticketmaster but I logon for the bands pre sales using an American Express card. I was able to get good seats within the past year to see Garth Brooks, Bon Jovi and Journey. Maybe try using the advance sales either through charge card promotions or the bands fan clubs? I know I tried getting Garth Brooks tickets in 2015 the moment they went on sale to the general public and I couldn't. I am sure without the Amex card I wouldn't have been able to get decent seats at these past few I have attended.

67 Shelby Clone
2008 Shelby Convertible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page