Garage Lift - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes
  • 3 Post By sessayan
  • 1 Post By sessayan

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage Lift

I have been planning and wanting to get a garage lift for about 3 years. I needed to have a reason to do it and i finally got the 2nd car last year. Got the lift installed but i head a clearance issue even though everyone said it would fit so i had to notch the ceiling adding to the cost Now I just need to convert the rollout to a high lift door.

Anyhow, IT ROCKS!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:10 AM

hmmm, nice, when are you planning to get a bigger garage? lol that 3rd car, like kids, may pop into the picture at any time!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Garage
What is your ceiling height?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

115 Inches standard but in the area where i created a sofit, its 123.

Steve E.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geicoman58 View Post
hmmm, nice, when are you planning to get a bigger garage? lol that 3rd car, like kids, may pop into the picture at any time!

I hav3 two more spots avail! I am planning to add a coupe when the right one comes along.

Steve E.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM

Your garage looks awesome. I am contemplating a lift and would like to ask a few questions. Which Bendpak model did you purchase? Why did you choose Bendpak? How much was it? Who did you buy it from? Thanks Alan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I purchased the HD9ST which is the narrow track version. Bendpak because I see them everywhere and they are like 30 miles from me. I try to support my local businesses when possible. $2855 plus tax.

You can try to set it up yourself but after watching the installers do it whom i paid $500 to, I am glad I didn't. The crew of two had to crane lift it off their truck and did everything very slow and careful. Garage forums are full of folks who talk through how they assembled them on their own using creative ways to do so. They run on 110 but I put in 220 as they run better that way as i understood it so I had to pay an electrician to do that as well.

Bendpak cannot sell you a lift directly because of liability issues. I contacted them directly and they put me in contact with a local re-seller who also had the installer contact. I used Garage Equipment Supply out of Moorpark CA. 800 281 7729.

Measurements matter. Its more then just taking your roof height and your cars height and doing math. The Bendpak lift has locking arms that are spaced out about 2 or 3 inches. As you go up, they lock in place and require air to unlock. The key is that you have to go up to unlock them so you need a buffer beyond what you think you need to get the lift down. I would go with 4 or 5 inches to be safe. Anyhow that's the learning from this project as I had to spend a bunch of money changing the rafters in my garage increasing the area by 8 inches.

Good luck on your project!

Steve E.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 PM

Garage
Nice! You will use the crap out of it and gain a whole bunch of new friends!

I installed a 2 post lift in my garage, my ceilings are 10ft and measuring the height of the car figured it would be perfect. Forgot one thing, the antennae...had to cut a hole in the ceiling and box it in just for that.

69 Mach 1, 351W, T5, owned for 29 years, 03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, 65 fastback, 289, C4 (son's), 67 fastback, 289, C4 (wife's)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:10 PM

Steve thanks for the detailed response. Good feedback on the height, sorry you found out the hard way. Bendpak looks to be a good product. I have a three bay garage that is 11 ft tall. I want to put a teardrop trailer on the rack. My mustangs is ~51" and the trailer is 65" tall. So I have 16" space to work with. Does that sound like enough extra space? How are you going to fix your garage door to open fully? Regards; Alan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarson View Post
Nice! You will use the crap out of it and gain a whole bunch of new friends!

I installed a 2 post lift in my garage, my ceilings are 10ft and measuring the height of the car figured it would be perfect. Forgot one thing, the antennae...had to cut a hole in the ceiling and box it in just for that.

Lol, yea that's one of my problem's two! Thinking about going with a power antenna because cutting a hole will not work unless I want the antenna in the office which is above the garage I just dont have the space
Alan _MacDougall likes this.

Steve E.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan _MacDougall View Post
Steve thanks for the detailed response. Good feedback on the height, sorry you found out the hard way. Bendpak looks to be a good product. I have a three bay garage that is 11 ft tall. I want to put a teardrop trailer on the rack. My mustangs is ~51" and the trailer is 65" tall. So I have 16" space to work with. Does that sound like enough extra space? How are you going to fix your garage door to open fully? Regards; Alan

16 inches sounds like plenty Lucky you.

The garage door fix is to install a high lift spring system. That will move the rails to the ceiling and should give me the clearance i need. I looked at 2 options there, one was high lift ($450) and the other was to change my roll-up door to a barn door opening out. That is a $2800 option and probably the better approach but i am going with number 1 for now.

High Lift Garage Door Conversion

Steve E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page