Why do I wake up at 3am? - Vintage Mustang Forums

19Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Why do I wake up at 3am?

I've been doing this for years. It is why I'm posting on here at 4:30 am my time since I can't sleep. I even do deep breathing, meditation and play music that goes with it. I was taught this technique long ago. I get into my floating away feeling totally relaxed state but I don't go back to sleep. It helps some but I'm not getting my proper dose of REM so it isn't a solution. It just helps.

Well, it turns out that this is an actual thing. I had no idea, LOL. Apparently, it is relatively common.

"3am is when your liver regenerates. To do so, it needs glycogen. The problem is that adrenaline causes your cells to use up glycogen. So if you are often stressed, your body may not have enough glycogen for the liver to regenerate at 3am. If your liver cannot get the glycogen it needs, your adrenal glands will compensate by releasing adrenalin, which is why you are wide awake and ready for action, not exactly a state you want to be in at 3am.".

Adrenal Cocktail Recipe
cup orange juice
teaspoon cream of tarter
teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic salt

I had no idea. What is even more intriguing is that when I woke up and generally when I wake up at this time I go for the OJ just naturally. I don't have this cream of tarter stuff though. That sounds a bit bleh to me but I suppose I should go get some and see. I might like it. The instructions with that cocktail up there say to drink right before going to bed. I have been hitting it when I wind up waking up which is too late to prevent the alarm clock syndrome.

I thought I would post this for other people that have this or if somebody has this problem and finds something else that works well please feel free to add your thoughts.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec

331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

One of the last tnt's on my 289 may she rest in pieces. It ran in the
high 11's low 12's when it was at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWPZGfMT0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 AM

fuunnn me also I fall asleep at 6 30 to 7 PM the dog is also awake .. DAD take me for walk... LOL
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 AM

Consult your physician. There are all sorts of causes for not sleeping well. I've had trouble sleeping for years, sometimes still do, but now not so evident as it once was. In my case I found out I have moderate/severe sleep apnea after undergoing testing at Duke University Medical Center. You need a diagnosis, talk to your doctor.
Start there.

68 FB 302GT in progress, really.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I need the sleep apnea test and I've tried to get my hospital to work with me but they won't. My problem is that my major medical doesn't kick in unless I am hospitalized and even though this is an over night test in the hospital, they do not classify it as hospitalization. I would have to pay for the whole thing out of pocket. Can not afford that so I just keep tabs on myself when I have awakened feeling suffocated and I try sleeping in different positions even including in my easy chair sometimes. I love my chair, LOL. I bought it at Ivan Smith and it is black leather but the leather is like pillow soft. I actually splurged on myself for once buying this chair because it was not cheap. It has a position which lays almost completely horizontal so I do sleep in it sometimes. I also have chronic bronchial asthma and I take medication for that.

This 3 am like an alarm clock thing though has been fairly well identified as a liver/glycogen issue and related to stress and anxiety. It may also be related to me having hypoglycemia but I have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder which I also take medication for. I may need to split my dose and take half a pill before I go to bed. I am going to try that but its not a solution so much as a get me by.

Geez. I'm a wreck with all these genetically inherited disorders and conditions but I just deal with it.
Ironstang likes this.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec

331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

One of the last tnt's on my 289 may she rest in pieces. It ran in the
high 11's low 12's when it was at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWPZGfMT0

Last edited by macstang; 03-20-2017 at 07:29 AM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 AM

I wake up at 3 because I'm old and I have to pee.

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
X2
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Garage
I woke up at 3am cause i started worrying about whether or not the epoxy i sprayed on the car is curing properly...
app01 likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 AM

Wake up to pee, then my mind starts thinking about what I need to do on the car, or some other project I am working on Next think I know is I am in the garage at 4am.

www.PalmieriConcepts.com custom showboards
10.17 @134(still practicing)
70 Mach 1 w/Boss 460 Stroker Engine-Build http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...ld-thread.html
70 Boss 302-May 70, Dearborn-Build http://www.palmiericoncepts.com/My-M...970Boss302.htm
62 Corvette-Build http://www.palmiericoncepts.com/My-M...roon/index.htm

MCA, MCCNE Member
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Huntingky likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:38 AM

Garage
Among a long list of things, it could just be your natural bio-rhythm, and that's when your body feels it's time to be awake. Unfortunately, we humans haven't completely adapted to a 9-5 day. The most important factor of this is if you feel rested and ready to go. If you do, then go with it. If you don't (because you're not going to bed early enough to get about 8 hours), then look into other problems. I found out first summer of med school that my natural clock runs from 10am to 2am, because at 2am I was ready to sleep and got to sleep fairly easily, and woke up regularly at 10am, rested and feeling good. Which explains why it took me forever to get to sleep at 9pm as a kid, and sleeping til 10am was quite easy.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 PM

Yep, time to pee!

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I resemble that remark

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017:
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM

While in the military I was east coast-west coast back and forth between the two coasts. Add in irregular hours, and here I am at age 56 unable to sleep more than 2-3 hours a shot. After fighting it for years, I gave in. I sleep when Im tired, I dont look at the clock. I feel much more rested and have more energy when I let my body do what it wants to do, instead of trying to make it do what I want it to do.
DrHawkeye likes this.

1964 F100 292/AT Au Revoir old friend
2010 F150 Scab (mine)
2014 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible (hers)
2012 Caliber (hers under protest)
2015 Indian Vintage (mine)
2007 Harley Heritage Softail Classic (hers)
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:48 PM

I work shifts. Week on and then a week off. 12 hour shifts. It goes like this. Week on for 7 days on day shift 6 am -6 pm. Then 7 days off, then back to the day again for 7 days. Then the fun part begins...7 nights 6 pm-6 am. then a week off and then repeat. Then back to days again....I wake up sometimes and don't know where I am or where I should be... or who or what. I do like the 7 days off though. For some reason, people like to turn their faucets on/shower/flush/etc so that makes me have to work faster to make more water for them...lol About 4 million gallons on my shift. Really, it's a job that would fit "George Jetson". I mostly push a few buttons and tell the computers to go cat go. Like he would say,when Jane would ask him how his day went today, "Brutal, just brutal, I had to push the button too many times today".

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:49 PM

Sounds like Amityville Horror to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page