Stress - Vintage Mustang Forums

13Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Stress

Have any of you suffered stomach problems from Mustang build related stress?

I'm trying to figure out my stomach problems and narrowing it down to the build of my 69'. I don't feel it in my mind but I know stress creeps in without your knowledge sometimes.
My blood pressure seems to have risen a little also. It's got me thinking that I may be acting a little anal on this build. I may have to relax on this a little and let it just come together.
I sorta blame these car show I watch. They turn out such great cars I feel I need to do the same.
Just wondered if any of you were in the same boat as I am.

God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:07 PM

I get really stressed sometimes and that's when you need to step away--and for as long as necessary. It's supposed to be a hobby, not a job but when it starts giving you the same feelings you get from a job then something needs to change.

I'd also suggest to stop watching those shows

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 PM

They get their cars done in under an hour. Why are you so slow?

I had to walk away from mine for a while and it's frustrating knowing that I can't work on it, but much more satisfying when I can. Scale back your plans and you'll enjoy it more. You'll also take the time to do it right.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:24 PM

Automotive stress test:
Have someone remind you that your car is rusting, and lecture you about how much work it's going to be.
If you feel the need to double over in pain, you've found a source of stress/anxiety.

I'm not trying to be funny. I had a overworked co-worker that was having anxiety attacks and didn't know why. I started yelling "get to work, work overtime" and she doubled over right there.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 PM

Garage
I don't believe in stress. Serves no purpose. I just go with the flow like floating down a lazy river.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:08 PM

Do you tend to get fixated on something big that you need to accomplish? This makes me "driven", to finish whatever I am doing...especially if it's something that I just want to finish....like sanding down the primer on my '66. No longer an "enjoyment", just push push push to get done. This creates stress and exhaustion because it's hard to make an "I'm done for today" point to stop and let it go. Is your mind working over "the problems" at work or home, while you should be resting your brain? I do this a lot. I need to do like "Rambo" said, "Let it go....Let it go"...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwstang View Post
Do you tend to get fixated on something big that you need to accomplish? This makes me "driven", to finish whatever I am doing...especially if it's something that I just want to finish....like sanding down the primer on my '66. No longer an "enjoyment", just push push push to get done. This creates stress and exhaustion because it's hard to make an "I'm done for today" point to stop and let it go. Is your mind working over "the problems" at work or home, while you should be resting your brain? I do this a lot. I need to do like "Rambo" said, "Let it go....Let it go"...
I would say that some if this applies to me. I have the attitude now of "this is my car, I am the one working on it and paying for it so if you don't like it don't look". It's just that I wanna do my very best and do it right. It has cost me some time and some extra money doing it this way. However I don't feel like I am stressing or worrying about anything. I've just noticed I get a sick stomach when I start thinking about the car. It has to be subconsience but whatever I think it is stress related and from the car. I started the tear down in Oct. 2014 and have spent enormous amount of time on it doing everything myself. I am not feeling burnout at all. I guess I am going crazy.

ps. the car show builds are addicting as there really is nothing else on that interest me.

God bless.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:27 PM

Not even Bobs Burgers?

1964 F100 292/AT Au Revoir old friend
2010 F150 Scab (mine)
2014 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible (hers)
2012 Caliber (hers under protest)
2015 Indian Vintage (mine)
2007 Harley Heritage Softail Classic (hers)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
I would say that some if this applies to me. I have the attitude now of "this is my car, I am the one working on it and paying for it so if you don't like it don't look". It's just that I wanna do my very best and do it right. It has cost me some time and some extra money doing it this way. However I don't feel like I am stressing or worrying about anything. I've just noticed I get a sick stomach when I start thinking about the car. It has to be subconsience but whatever I think it is stress related and from the car. I started the tear down in Oct. 2014 and have spent enormous amount of time on it doing everything myself. I am not feeling burnout at all. I guess I am going crazy.

ps. the car show builds are addicting as there really is nothing else on that interest me.

I get that feeling you're talking about when I am thinking about almost anything these days. It's especially associated with a task that I'm not sure how I'm going to do it but really needs to be done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ruger likes this.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:19 PM

Garage
I stress so much about work, thinking about the Mustang is my reprieve. IT can be stressful if it's fighting me of course, but generally speaking, the old car is stress relief more than anything.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
I stress so much about work, thinking about the Mustang is my reprieve. IT can be stressful if it's fighting me of course, but generally speaking, the old car is stress relief more than anything.
Yep. I get that way about school and the Mustang has been a great outlet for stress.

I try to maintain not that I'm going to make the car perfect, but that I keep making it better.

1967 Mustang 302 - Build Thread
1976 Triumph Bonneville

From Los Angeles. Going to college in Santa Cruz, California.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
I try to maintain not that I'm going to make the car perfect, but that I keep making it better.
Oh yeah. "Perfect" is a unicorn that you're never going to catch. If I had to have an anxiety attack over every rock chip or whatever, I'd get out of the car hobby and do something else.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 AM
rpm

Ha, you guys must be young. Working on the 69 is therapy.

Bob

There are 2 types of people, those who own pickups and those who borrow them.

69 M code Mach 1, 393w AFR 185, C5 trans, 3.50 traction lok N case, 13" 01Cobra 4 wheel disc, QA1 4 wheel coil covers, Chromo tube susp arms, Triangulated rear arms, Convertible inner rockers & seat riser, 6 point roll bar.

Build Pics http://s782.photobucket.com/user/rob...?sort=3&page=2

Build Thread
http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php...bitch-is-back/
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:59 AM

Garage
I got stressed out about the last one I did but A) it wasnt my car and B) i wanted it done so that I could start on my car. I worked myself into the ground...it really was unhealthy.

Anyway...with mine I set long term milestones. 30/60/90 day goals. That helps it be a lot more manageable. It's easier for me to stomach (bad joke...sorry) "in 30 days i want to have the engine built, in, and the cooling system done" than...by the end of this weekend I want to have the engine built.
I just started getting serious about the body work this weekend. So now I'm mixing up my short, mid, and long term goals to include things that are perceivable gains since body work takes...forever. Meaning now, i throw in things like "30 days: epoxy prime, interior painted <-cause that doesnt take NEARLY as long and I can see the progress immediately".

I also keep my expectations in check. I'm not a professional. I'm just a dude with the tools necessary to build a car. I know my car is never going to be a show winner...it may never actually be IN a show. Mostly because I dont care about that crap. I just care that my car looks good to me, is fast, stops great, handles well, and most of all...is FUN

...i do worry sometimes about my wife figuring out exactly how much money i have in the car though...that sometimes does keep me up at night...
gwstang and ruger like this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:59 AM

I do get stressed out by Jane, but in a totally weird way.

If I'm working on a project on the car, I'm pretty okay. If things start going badly, I'll worry but it's more a nagging-in-the-back-of-my-head worry than a sick to my stomach worry. More frequently, I'll just drag my heels if things aren't going the way I want them to go.

If I'm working on a project and I'm at Chas's house (the guy who did bodywork/paint on my car, and who also taught me to rebuild an engine), then nothing matters. Doesn't matter what kind of terrible thing is happening, I am cool as a cucumber about it. One time I lit my car on fire at his house and the flame was burning up the carpet in the passenger rear floor pan and had almost reached the rear seat and I just blew it out like a candle and laughed about it.

If I want to drive Jane, I get knots in my stomach. But as soon as I'm actually driving, everything in the world is allllllllrightttt. I could not possibly be bothered by anything while driving that car.

This is true despite 3 years of daily driving and tens of thousands of miles... every morning when I go to start her up, I've got butterflies. And 30 seconds later as I back out of the garage, I'm fine.

Cannot explain any of the weird reactions. It's a kind of ying/yang of stress and total zen all wrapped up in the same vehicle.
gwstang, ruger, weikelrk and 4 others like this.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2014: 10,051 mile, 2-month-long road trip around America
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two
2016: East Coast to TX, Hot August Nights, more trips to the East Coast
2017: Several long trips in the works! Stay tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page