Fly United? - Vintage Mustang Forums

107Likes

post #1 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Fly United?

Do you read the fine print when you buy a plane ticket? "The plane may be over booked so you may be requested to give up your seat" (paraphrased).

So lets see, I buy a ticket to Podunk maybe just for fun. Maybe for a business meeting. I bought the ticket for a seat on THAT flight! If I don't show they don't refund my money. If I DO show up they may have sold more tickets than seats so they want volunteers to give up double sold seats! Is this BS or what?

United made a debacle of the practice that is common on airlines. Yes this is apparently legal as long as it's in the fine print. I'm conservative, pro business BUT
I hope United gets sued and loses significant money like $1,000,000 for this bungling episode!
app01, 69DroptopGT and Fastang68 like this.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 AM

Been going on for years. Happens on other airlines too.
I'd rather deal with SW.
On Southwest I've been approached more than once about voluntarily
giving up my seat for cash and a later flight. It's never worked out-
on way to meeting I'm sure not going to be late and coming home
I'm usually traveling at the last possible moment (to accommodate
customer support), so I'm not giving up the seat.....

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #3 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:10 AM

They offered $800 to anyone who would give up their seat. They could have upped that amount substantially and gotten some takers and it would have cost WAY less than this bad publicity is costing them.

66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie with F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily

post #4 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:28 AM

Garage
When my work used to fly me for yearly meetings, I would always go early to be a bit of a tourist at my destination city. I was never offered to be a volunteer on my way out, but once I was on my way back home. I delayed for one flight and was given a round-trip ticket to any destination they service in the CONUS and it was valid for 1 year. It seemed a good deal to me and there were others almost fighting to get it. I enjoyed my free flight later that year.
Israel and DrHawkeye like this.

1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Delivered to Ball Ford in Miami Florida, purchased by Hertz Rent A Car for delivery to Miami Internation Airport
post #5 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:41 AM

As a retired airline pilot I can vouch for the fact that nobody reads the fine print.
When a situation such as this occurs the airline will ask for volunteers to give up their seat for a voucher and a confirmed seat on a later flight. If the next flight to the destination doesn't depart for 3 or 4 hours they will throw in a meal voucher. If the next flight isn't until tomorrow they will include a hotel voucher. They will continue to increase the amount of the voucher until they get a volunteer/volunteers or until they reach the amount that the DOT rules require them to give. I believe the DOT mandated voucher is $1250. If nobody volunteers they deny boarding to either the person who paid the least amount of money for his ticket or to the last person that checked in for the flight.
The denied passenger can sue until the cows come home but he is s.o.l. It is entirely within the regulations for the airline to deny boarding on an oversold flight, even if the flight is oversold because the airline is putting a deadheading crew on board.
rpm and drock like this.
post #6 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:45 AM

Garage
Yeah, United is gonna get hit big with a lawsuit for that. But ALL flights are overbooked and have been for decades. Only one time was it doable for me to take a later flight, but by the time I made it to the counter, they already had enough people that I wasn't needed.
I'm betting there are lawyers lining up to represent that guy that was hauled off the plane. The issue that burns me is they did that to get United employees on the flight. That's the bogus part of the deal.
post #7 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:50 AM

I use to fly out of Ronald Regan Airport in DC weekly for about 18 months, they always overbooked the flight, just about every flight the lady at the ticket counter would just motion for me to come to the counter get a First Class ticket for the next flight and a voucher for any where in the US they flew.
post #8 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:01 PM

I'm actually flying to CA on United in 2.5 weeks

Thanks for the tips awhtx, I'll make sure we're nowhere near last to show up/board. I've never been asked (or heard them ask others on my flight) to give up their seats. But I've only ever flown on American and it's almost always really early in the morning or redeye where the flights typically aren't 100% full anyway. That, and I've only ever flown maybe 20 times (round trip).

As when any of these types of things happen in recent years, they're already taking a hit in the pocket book:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/11/united...enger-dragged/

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400

Last edited by 65 Pony; 04-11-2017 at 12:05 PM.
post #9 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:06 PM

Problem is they didn't just decline to board the guy, the seated everyone THEN made their offer. Once my butt is in the seat, you'd better believe I'm gonna be upset.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #10 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
Yeah, United is gonna get hit big with a lawsuit for that. But ALL flights are overbooked and have been for decades. Only one time was it doable for me to take a later flight, but by the time I made it to the counter, they already had enough people that I wasn't needed.
I'm betting there are lawyers lining up to represent that guy that was hauled off the plane. The issue that burns me is they did that to get United employees on the flight. That's the bogus part of the deal.
"They" do all kinds of squirrelly stuff. At better than 1,000,000 miles on military and
commerical planes, I've seen some of it. We'd be here all day with the various stories.

My favorite is a flight from the LA area to Reno, with a stop at San Jose. There were
only 4 people going on to Reno, so in SJ they kicked us off the plane and we had to
wait for the next flight. (couple of hours) The airline claimed the plane was needed
in LA and they sent it EMPTY down to LA..... supposedly. The real reason is they
didn't want to fly just 4 people to Reno. In reality I don't know where they sent the
empty plane or if it even left San Jose.
DrHawkeye likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #11 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:34 PM

I have had delta offer for flights to and from Mexico but never could take them up on the offer. One of these days. I think United was stupid on what they did. And even worse were the statements united made after the incident. This will be costing them more than upping their offer 1000. Seems like they screwed up with booking their own employees and was bumping paying customers for their mistake. And to say that the person had no recourse is incorrect. He was removed with unnecessary force. They will be paying. I doubt this ever goes to court because if United knows what is smart they will settle with the guy. This is already a PR nightmare that they don't want to get worse.
DrHawkeye likes this.

Current piles of rust 1965: New yorker***1968: GTO convert, Lemans convert Porche 911***1969: MustangGT convert, Mach1 S code Mach1, Mach1 CobraJet R code GTO convert, Firbird Convert 1970 Boss 302***1972: Charger***1999:f250 CNG truck***2011:nissan Altima ---> I need to get rid of some of this junk lol
post #12 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Yup, happens all the time. The difference is social media availability and the public's opinion which will lead to lost revenue if they do not come up with a way to apologize(Money) to that individual. Got to love how technology continues to change/expose the way it was. We worry about the government knowing everything about us but business have the same pressure thrust-ed on them by social media.

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #13 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:45 PM

I'm just over here waiting for United to start posting super cheap flights....
Huntingky likes this.

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
post #14 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69StangRestomod View Post
I'm just over here waiting for United to start posting super cheap flights....

Super Cheap? How long were you going to wait?
post #15 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Not that it makes any difference in the situation, but his office is about 5 minutes away, right next door to my doctor. He had to surrender his license for awhile for doing a little excessive prescription writing and trading the drugs for favors from a former employee.

66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie with F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page