Makes no sense . . . . but see it all the time - Vintage Mustang Forums

50Likes

post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Makes no sense . . . . but see it all the time

Two cars on the side of the highway, one jumping the other. Tell me the scenario where jump starting a car in this situation , makes sense. And, be prepared to back up your claim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:31 PM

IDK ,But we get cars in at work all the time,,,Collage kid "I need a battery here's my keys" OK Sssooooo how did you get it here ? "well I had to get a jump start" Oooo K Ssooooo you shut if off and locked it why?

post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Jump start from home, or from a parking lot somewhere . . makes sense. But jump starting a car that was traveling down the highway makes no sense. It's a fools jump . if you know what I mean. I'm thinking deep here, you gotta think with me Think of the scenario that led up to this. I can actually think of a couple , but I don't believe it happens often.

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
Two cars on the side of the highway, one jumping the other. Tell me the scenario where jump starting a car in this situation , makes sense. And, be prepared to back up your claim.
I see your point..."on the side of the highway", really makes no sense...

Not sure why your thinking about it at midnight in EST (but I know why I'm responding at 11 CST)...

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 01:04 AM

They stopped to pee on the shoulder and mistakenly shut the car off forgetting the battery was weak?.

I know a guy who, with a couple buddies drove a VW rabbit from NY to california with an alternator that didn't work and they didnt even own a a battery charger to take with them. They solicited jump starts and borrowed battery chargers to complete the voyage. He says it was an adventure and tells a great story about the people they met along the way.
Rorin67 likes this.

65 coupe GT Tribute 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 01:35 AM

Car gets flat tire.
Ignition turned off, but emergency flashers on (if not other drains on the system too).
Flat tire fixed.
Battery too low to start the mofo back up.
Poor Goober needs a jump.

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Lt. Cmdr. Ernest E. Evans, U.S. Navy-"This is going to be a fighting ship. I intend to go in harm's way..."
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:53 AM

I was going along a similar line of thought as 4ocious except I figured it ran out of gas instead of a flat tire.
RestoMike66 likes this.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:40 AM

Garage
It was probably an extremely respectful driver who received a phone call, so they actually pulled off the road to safety take the call. Not wanting to pollute the air, they shut the car off, but left the parking lights on to alert other drivers of their position- similar to what 4 said. After completing the call they realized the car wouldn't start, so solicited a passing motorist to give them a jump. Or- Otis left the bar and the breathalyzer shut him down 1/2 mile down the road. He staggered back to the bar and asked Barney Gumble to come give him a jump!!

Did you see the size of that chicken?! -Dirty Steve
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:18 AM

I know the reason....he was poor.
No one in their right mind would try to start their vehicle on the expressway if they had road hazard ins or money to pay for a tow.
Poor bas*ard probably has too many bills, too many kids, and a dead end job.
He drives an un-maintained piece of crap car and so he puts his best friends life in danger by asking him to help him get his piece of junk started because if he misses one more day of work....He's Fired!
On SA highways you can only be towed off of the highway by a towing service that has a city contract, no one else.
City contract=higher towing fee.

Last edited by Makedust; 04-14-2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Typo
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:59 AM

Runs out of gas. Calls friend to bring him some gas. Plays his 1000 watt sub woofers stereo while waiting for friend, also leaves his aircraft landing light headlights on while waiting over an hour. Buddy shows up with gas, car won't start battery now dead, hmm noticed the stereo quit and the landing lights went out! Buddy doesn't carry jumpers nor does dimwit so buddy goes back hoe and gets jumpers. This is what friends are for!
paokara777 likes this.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:37 AM
Just some guy

Garage
Easy. Alternator quits for whatever reason then the car dies. After a good samaritan charges the battery via jumper cables for a while the driver starts it up and runs for the nearest exit to get the heck off the highway. Maybe even limp as far as a parts store or repair shop for a new alternator belt. Been there, done that, got the jumper cables.
ajd350, Huntingky and paokara777 like this.
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Easy. Alternator quits for whatever reason then the car dies. After a good samaritan charges the battery via jumper cables for a while the driver starts it up and runs for the nearest exit to get the heck off the highway. Maybe even limp as far as a parts store or repair shop for a new alternator belt. Been there, done that, got the jumper cables.
Couldn't have said it better. Happened to me on my first long trip (900 miles one way) to an MCA show.
Stan

From start to finish:
http://s863.photobucket.com/user/asl...?sort=6&page=1
Bay Area Mustang Association
President BAMA 2012-2014
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
They stopped to pee on the shoulder and mistakenly shut the car off forgetting the battery was weak?.

I know a guy who, with a couple buddies drove a VW rabbit from NY to california with an alternator that didn't work and they didnt even own a a battery charger to take with them. They solicited jump starts and borrowed battery chargers to complete the voyage. He says it was an adventure and tells a great story about the people they met along the way.
You won't get enough of a charge during the jump to last you 5 minutes. When the reserve capacity of the battery is gone, it need s a good charge. If the charging system is dead, a quick jump isn't going to do it.
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
Car gets flat tire.
Ignition turned off, but emergency flashers on (if not other drains on the system too).
Flat tire fixed.
Battery too low to start the mofo back up.
Poor Goober needs a jump.
Like I said there are a few scenarios, but I don't buy most of em' This could happen, but some of the cars being jumped, the situation at hand, just doesn't seem that way. I think it is an idiot who thinks jumping the battery will fix everything. I'm guessing 99% of the time, a tow truck gets called.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
After depletion of the reserve capacity, a jump will get you a couple minutes at best. These aren't "brainiacs" who know what's going on . . look for the tow truck, it's coming. OH . and if it's night time, you're going nowhere

Last edited by PetesPonies; 04-15-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page