What a day to work at Snap-On... - Vintage Mustang Forums

17Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

What a day to work at Snap-On...

Kenosha prepares for President Trump?s visit - TMJ4 Milwaukee, WI

It's a zoo of security around here today.

All associates are invited to the signing and (I assume) a speech...guess I'll get to tell my grand kids about the time I met a president!

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.

Last edited by 69StangRestomod; 04-18-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 AM

Great to tell your grandkids (and kids!).

Time flys. I was working part time at Allis Chalmers while in college. JFK and Hubert Humphrey were Democrats running for president. They both visited Allis Chalmers to meet factory workers. We had no idea at the time the history that would revolve around JFK.
69StangRestomod likes this.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:04 AM

I'll bet it's a Zoo there in town, but you will have a memory for a lifetime

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:10 PM

That is super cool.
Let us know how it went.

Joe in Detroit
1969 Mustang Sports Roof (SAG = Sports Appearance Group) 1 of only 5,729
1966 Ranchero Custom 1 of only 11,000 made. (For Sale)
2014 Mustang V6 premium pony package
1969 Mustang Grande (sold)

Personal Quote from 5-1-15. ''DRIVE IT LIKE YOU HAVE TO POOP!"

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"
Tom Petty, Runnin Down A Dream.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 AM

Garage
How was Trumps' visit? Heard parts of his speech on the radio. Sounded good. Did your plant employees give him a good reception?

1969 Mach1 w/ 671 Blower

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Thoughts from the day (as A-political as I can make them...). I work as an engineer in hand tools for Happy Snappy, our corporate HQ is in Kenosha which used to be a plant, but has since moved.

While one would intuitively know the security would be high...it is still quite impressive to see the lengths they go to. The day before the Secret Service could be seen walking the campus, looking around, identifying possible threats, etc. They limited the number of cars in the parking lot, and provided off site parking with shuttles for employees (I got in super early to avoid that noise). The morning of, any cars that were in the lot overnight got searched. They had the helipad blocked off with 18-wheeler trailers.

The crowds started gathering around 10:00am across the street - protesters and supports alike. Interestingly enough, there were twice as many supporters as protesters, but the news outlets make it seem the opposite. There was an organized protest and several random organized ones. Some guys I work out with were on the street, they relayed some of that info to me.

We have an auditorium, small museum, and several displays (for investors and potential franchisees). The event was in the auditorium, and Trump got a tour of the museum and displays from Nick (the CEO) beforehand. All that was blocked by curtains. All employees had to exit the building and got through a TSA style security checkpoint to get into the auditorium, and not everyone got in. The flag on the stage that was behind Trump is a prop we've had for some time, but it is made out of production wrenches that were de-chromed, bent, welded, and painted. Pretty cool display. Literally every single tool on the stage was wired down per SS's orders (no chance for a weapon of opportunity). I was in the last 15 or so that got through the door - just didn't get in line early enough, I had a meeting that ran up pretty close to the event.

From this point on it was almost a rock concert. They got us all in about 1.5 hours before He arrived, so I was standing in the back, probably 200 feet from the stage. He got a warm welcome, made his speech, signed the EO, and exited. Not in a hurry or anything, just didn't hang around. I was hoping to maybe meet, shake a hand, selfie, or something (I had a hat and sharpie for my father in case that opportunity presented itself), but I was never closer than the pictures show. As soon as "elvis had left the building" they let us all out.

All in all it was a very cool event. When else do you get to see the President in person? Regardless of who is in office, any sane person would take a leap at that opportunity. It was very locked down, I was lucky to get in.

We have a pretty airtight social media policy, so I'm not going to offer any opinions beyond I thought we were a natural choice for this event because Snap-On is probably one of, if not THE, flagship for American manufacturing. 100% of all Snap-On branded hand tools and tool boxes are U.S. manufactured with U.S. procured steel. So it was neat all the nods he gave us in the speech. The story of the green felt was something told to him during the tour, so at least that part was off the cuff for him. His speech style is definitely more conversational (which drives a few people that I know nuts).

All in all it was a very cool, once in a lifetime experience. Enjoy the few pictures.

P.S. - my work computer wont open images from the hosting site I use, so if there's an issue with the pics I wont see it on my end.
fordguy and Mach671 like this.

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 AM

Pics did not come out. At least not for me just a box with a black X in in the center. Sounds like a good time and worth the extra obstacles!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Pics show in Tapatalk! Cool experience.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a race car. And I've never been sad in a race car!"

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:11 AM

Regardless of which side of the fence a person is, this is a pretty cool experience. Thanks for sharing with us!

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017:
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12
4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac
Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:51 AM

I bet it's safe to say he won't be going to HF anytime soon.
dobrostang likes this.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:22 PM

What a day to work at Snap-On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post

Why? His product lines are all Chinese. As are those red hats. Lol.

When I was a sound guy I did sound for an Obama speech on campus, the Republican straw polls in Ames, and a Ron Paul event (he had a monkey on his bus). Setting up the sound for a sitting President was quite a debacle though. They had to check every piece of equipment.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Maxum96 and happystang like this.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack

Last edited by Lizer; 04-20-2017 at 12:34 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Uhm...HF?

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:46 PM

Garage
Thanks for the report. Neat story. That flag is really cool tool. MAGA with Snap On tools!

1969 Mach1 w/ 671 Blower

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Uhm...HF?
Harbor Freight, Slim. The home of cheap and smelly tools from the far east (and a frequent destination in my case).
dobrostang likes this.

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Archer, S5 E7: "Don't you have a tractor pull to go headline?"

Last edited by 4ocious; 04-20-2017 at 03:22 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:56 PM

Great Memories.

I had the "responsibility" "honor" "terror" of giving about a 7 minute briefing to President Reagan in a room about 15' by 20'. It was crammed full of VIP's (Sec Defense, a Senator, etc.)

I rehearsed it 2000x times, and he paid great attention, and asked a couple questions, and thanked me when I was finished.

RHen1514@aol.com ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page