Escape front struts - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Escape front struts

My daughter's 02 Escape is pretty much the typical college kid car. It's got it's dents and some rust but after 175K miles it's still running pretty well as far as the drive train goes. It still has the original front struts that are totally wasted making noise as well as tire wear. I'm trying to decide between a good set of struts vs economy like the ones offered by Monroe. I plan on getting the loaded version. I mean are the economy style going to be shot in a year? Are the parts such as the upper bearing going to fall apart? If it's just more of a quality of ride issue I'll go with the cheaper. I'm looking to match something that's going to last a few years with no issues, probably another 75K miles. I just want to get something that is appropriate for the car at this stage. I'll spend what I need, I just don't want to crazy.

I'm open to suggestions on other brands. I'm expecting I'll be replacing the lower arms more then likely.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 PM

Consider yourself lucky you can get anything other than an OE replacement.
(That's only if the Monroe isn't crap..... if it is, you might not even have an option)
My 2014 is beginning to make me suspicious up front. Only OE struts available for
replacement, as the Monroe are supposedly CRAP. The OE ones apparently go
South beginning around 50K.

My good buddies over at Koni don't offer anything, and neither does Bilstein.
I looked at some euro manufacturers too. Nothing as a direct replacement on
a 2014.

Keep in mind that the front hubs will get beat up when the struts are in bad shape.
Ask me how I know.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 PM

I did my wife's soon to be daughters tribute about a year and a half ago. I used some Monroe mid range and loaded them with some H&R lowering springs, I got the springs from tire rack I believe, it lowered it about an inch maybe 1 1/2. It drives great now. no wishy washy sway and seems more solid and safe. I was going to look for a different car for my daughter but she likes driving it so it will be her's after she is 16 this summer.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:09 PM

Tom did you get the PM I sent you on this ?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
Tom did you get the PM I sent you on this ?
Brad I did. I replied but forget to send it. Must of fallen asleep or something. I don't have any of those parts stores around me in NJ during the week. I checked with the vendor we get our bus parts from. All pretty much seem to be the same price. Rockauto is a lot less. The problem is I don't know how much longer the car will pass inspection. As GT289 said the wheel bearings are probably ready to be replaced which I suspect add some times I get the ABS light on. I think I'll just get the Monroe economy version for about $100 a pop. That's the loaded version. Either that or junk yard struts for $40.

Tom

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Brad I did. I replied but forget to send it. Must of fallen asleep or something. I don't have any of those parts stores around me in NJ during the week. I checked with the vendor we get our bus parts from. All pretty much seem to be the same price. Rockauto is a lot less. The problem is I don't know how much longer the car will pass inspection. As GT289 said the wheel bearings are probably ready to be replaced which I suspect add some times I get the ABS light on. I think I'll just get the Monroe economy version for about $100 a pop. That's the loaded version. Either that or junk yard struts for $40.
OK ,Just checking I knew my PM box was full and wanted to be sure it sent.The wheel bearings on these things suck I've done both of mine with National bearings and one is a little loose already National Bearings 510072 Wheel Bearing | eBay As for your ABS light this fixed mine ABS Tone Wheel Ring Fits Front Left or Right Dorman 917-532 | eBay
You might find these handy to have as well when doing the bearing http://www.ebay.com/itm/351489059298...84.m1436.l2648

Last edited by 2nd 66; Today at 11:51 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend some money on the car. I was a little more apprehensive this week. The check engine light came on. My code reader doesn't like connecting with this thing. Went to AZ, 2 codes, the EGR solenoid and bank 1 lean. No emission inspection here so I'm not in a rush to fix it. I guess I'll be ordering parts from Rockauto soon.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page