Vintage Triumph Motorcycles - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By blutruck1
  • 1 Post By maladezo

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Vintage Triumph Motorcycles

Never really been into motorcycles, except for dirtbikes. But I was looking at YouTube the other day and a Jay Lenos garage episode popped up and it was about his 1964 Triumph Bonneville. Started watching it and I've come to the conclusion that I must have one of these. Something about these bikes I really like, maybe it's the history, good looks I don't know. So I got to looking. Restored ones go from anywhere around 5-10k. Thing is, I could not find any "project" type bikes. I really think it'd be fun to restore one, but every one I see is already done. Anyone know any forums or classifieds for vintage triumphs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1966 Mustang Coupe, 289, 4v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:25 AM

You might want to do a lot more research before jumping into vintage British motorcycles. You do know that they use Whitworth tools, not metric, not SAE. So, you'll need those. Ever heard of Lucas electrics? They tend to work sometimes, not work sometimes, usually when you need them most, they decide you really don't. Old bikes in general leak, Harleys and Brit bikes aren't known for cleanliness, they leak and can be difficult to fix. Old Japanese bikes are a lot better at oil control and much cleaner. After all these years parts are going to be expensive, especially since Triumph/BSA/Norton all went out of business. Triumph has been reborn and now produces some really good scoots.

If you really want to spend you time trying to find parts for and fix a vintage Trumpet, then all the power to you. If you'd rather ride and do some tinkering, modifying, I'd recommend getting a new, or new used Triumph, (this century). Gonna be more reliable, easier to get, easier to maintain, better riding, better handling bikes compared to anything from the 60's. They have new Bonnies, Thruxtons, etc. You might want to consider this route. Either way, be careful when riding in the street, everyone is trying to kill you.
caveeagle likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:40 AM

Compared to cars, motorcycles are relatively easy to work on, modify and restore. Sounds like fun and if it's got your heart pumpin, there may be no denying it. Couldn't agree more with Blutruck about the dangers - texters have taken it to an extreme level. I'm now more fearful of them causing harm than people who are driving drunk.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Well working on stuff is half the fun. I knew that I would have to work on it, I'd be crazy not to think that after owning several mustangs over the years.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:55 AM

I used to call on some of the auto shops nearby and from time to time these guys
have some nice bikes available.....
You never know what you'll see as they have their hands on BSA, Triumph, Vincent, etc.

http://www.centurymotorcycles.net/

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:28 AM

I wrenched at a bike shop when I was a kid, 1970's. Have owned many bikes, street and dirt. I had a Triumph back then, it had BSF threads, also known as Brittish Strip Fine. It threw a rod for no particular reason. Jap bikes are and have always been some of the best. Today I ride a Kawasaki 1200. Harleys are mostly show, no go, compared to jap bikes. I learned to ride at 13. Bikes are way DANGEROUS ON THE STREET if you are a beginner.

'67 coupe, 390-S, 4spd.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:54 PM

triumphrat.net

I've had a '66 TR120R Bonneville for decades now. Among real "bikers" the Triumph was considered a girls ride being a little lighter and easier to start. I think it was because it would get up and run away from any Harley around
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
I'm a bit of a Triumph nut myself, and have been for years. In fact a brand new Thruxton R is what shares garage space with my Fastback. As far as sites go, Triumphrat is definately the place to go. There are guys on there that flat out know every damn thing about those bikes, new old or indifferent.

That said, they are easy to work on, even doing stuff like valves is really pretty darn simple. For my money, there is no better sound in motorcycles than the sound of a well tuned British parallel twin humming along.

But yeah, these bikes have always had a strong and loyal following so finding one wasting away un-loved will be difficult. Not impossible, but will likely take some patience. You will probably have better luck if you move up your vintage. Bonnie's from the 70's pop up here in socal all the time and most are fairly original (in need of love)

FWIW, this is literally what my office looks like on a slow day. There are a solid crew of us that ride together and it's about 90% Triumph. Mine's the one closest to camera

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten

2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!

1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted

2015 - JEEP Grand Cherokee Altitude Brand new daily driver/parts hauler
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:54 PM

Aren't there new replica Triumphs being made today? I ran into one, can't remember the manufacturer. I think it was made in the USA?

'67 coupe, 390-S, 4spd.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:01 PM

No, not to my knowledge anyways. Triumph is fairly liberal with their brand licensing but even for them that would be a stretch. You can however by a bran new Royal Enfield that looks like it's from the 40's. And also happens to have the worst welds I have ever seen on a consumer product of any kind. I mean we are talking more splatter than puddle.

My Build thread:

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSterling966 View Post
No, not to my knowledge anyways. Triumph is fairly liberal with their brand licensing but even for them that would be a stretch. You can however by a bran new Royal Enfield that looks like it's from the 40's. And also happens to have the worst welds I have ever seen on a consumer product of any kind. I mean we are talking more splatter than puddle.

I saw those enfields online last night, they didn't have any close ups of the welds, but something was off about them..

Beautiful bike by they way! If I ever do get one, it'll be my first street bike, so I'm worried if it will be too much for me. My first dirtbike was a Suzuki DRZ400 and those are not the smallest or best bike for a beginner. I was bound and determined to learn on that bike because it was a screaming deal so I took it slow and got the hang of it.

Last edited by Tubbster1966; 05-16-2017 at 07:32 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:01 PM

Royal Enfield. That is freaking awesome looking!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:33 AM

Keep an open mind, there are many cool old bikes. Like this Ducati I owned. 1975 Ducati GT860. I added Conti muffs, Super Sport tank and modded seat. Best handling bike ever made. Super low center of gravity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ducati860.jpg (88.3 KB, 8 views)
RyanSterling966 likes this.

'67 coupe, 390-S, 4spd.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbster1966 View Post
I saw those enfields online last night, they didn't have any close ups of the welds, but something was off about them..

Beautiful bike by they way! If I ever do get one, it'll be my first street bike, so I'm worried if it will be too much for me. My first dirtbike was a Suzuki DRZ400 and those are not the smallest or best bike for a beginner. I was bound and determined to learn on that bike because it was a screaming deal so I took it slow and got the hang of it.

It's honestly hard to over estimate the value that your dirt background has. I always tell people, track time will make you fast when everything is going well. Dirt time will save your $%^& when things haven't gone well.

It's just like anything else, It has more to do with the person than the equipment. I will say that learning on a smaller bike seems to help people pick up skills faster because they respond to delicate weight inputs more. But you also don't want a bike you are bored with in a year either. I have said it 1,000 times I think a Bonnie is a PERFECT first bike. Because it has enough power to ride across the country but not so much it will constantly try and lift the front end on ya. Now my Thruxton on the other hand........ Yeah, that thing will surprise the #$%^ out of you and you really need smooth throttle inputs. But then again that's a very different animal.

Feel free to shoot me a PM, motorcycles and being proficient at controlling them and the lifestyle of riding them (no not biker culture) is a HUGE passion for me.

My Build thread:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page