Food service - Vintage Mustang Forums

7Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Food service

Went through McDonald's drive thru yesterday, ordered a new 'Signature Sandwich' and I'm 'that guy'- ordered with NO onions. The guy repeated me, the gal at the pay window repeated it, and the gal that handed the sack to me repeated it- no onions. Got back to work.. onions! Cheesed off I drove the 6 blocks back to the store, went in to complain and get a 'correct' sandwich, but instead got attitude back from the clerk! She actually acted put out having to call a manager over for help. The manager wasn't any better, so I simply asked for my money back- even that was a hassle! I left an email in disgust to their contact us website- ended up getting a call 2 days later with an offer for a free sandwich. I thanked him for the call, but passed on the free offer and said I prefer not to return. The manager actually said 'Whatever' and hung up!
Today I just picked up an order from Buffalo Wild Wings- 140 wings and the sticks/celery/dressings to go with it for a work luncheon. Blame me if you will for not checking it, but being 1/2 hour before lunch and over $125, I figured they already had, right? Wrong- got back to work and found wings only- no veggies. I called back, explained the deal, and the gal asked me if I wanted to come back and get them. I said 'no' as I didn't really have the time to do so. She said 'ok- sorry about that'..... and that was it! No offer to make it right, no offer for a discounted price today or on a future visit- nada.
Am I expecting too much wanting them to make it right for me? It's crazy how some places bend over backwards wanting you to have a great experience every time; then there's places like these that don't care. Do they just assume you'll come back regardless, or?? FWIW- I haven't been back to a Burger King in over 25 years due to a similar issue... ok- maybe I do hold a grudge...

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:44 PM

I can understand and have almost come to expect getting Custom orders wrong ,people get stuck on repeat in places like that making the same burger all day at a fast pace. They really should make it right some how though.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:23 PM

Back in the bad old days McDonald's was a burger place a step above Whitecastle (sliders). It was a drive or walk up place. You'd step up to the stainless counter/window and could order burger, fries and one size coke.One choice burger with mustard, ketchup, pickle and onions. One size fries one size coke.
You could get multiples if each. If you wanted burger without anything it came with you were free to scrape other stuff off.

The real drive ins were usually independent places. Those places took your order for what you wanted on your burger. What a concept!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:04 AM

Food service

Sad to say, but I think you are expecting too much.

I have tried to explain to the youngest son KISS, keep it simple stupid. He would go through the drive thru and say,i want the tomatoes but no cheese or onions, extra pickles but hold the ketchup and no lettuce. BTW, it does not come with ketchup normally. Can you make it anymore complicated? Tell them either, what to take off or easier, just what you want on it. His orders are almost always wrong.

Im not saying your orders were difficult, you should get what you ask for. But that high school kid at the drive thru doesn't care, and as you see, neither does the managers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'67 Coupe, (347 in progress) w/ EFI
AOD w/ B&M short Megashifter
EPAS w/ Bruno Box
Shelby Drop, 17" Replica's

Last edited by bacchus203; 05-20-2017 at 11:10 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:12 AM

I don't do the drive ups any more. Go inside and check my order at the counter. Even then they sometimes get it wrong. And these people want $15/hr
JD08 likes this.

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Just some guy

Garage
Fast food people are generally bottom rung employees, I tend to be surprised when my orders and good and correct. I don't like onions much but never say a word. My wife really likes onions so that works out. I just let her snag all the onions off whatever. I've been trying to convince her for years not to custom order. I think she's learning. Straight off the menu tends to be OK and custom orders tend to be fubar. I have a sister-in-law who insists on custom ordering every single place she goes and has endless tales of how screwed up this or that was. We used to enjoy going out to eat with her and brother-in-law sometimes but now we use every excuse to not go.

There's a semi-airhead who tends to work the drive-through at a local McD's. I like her. She's always trying to give me a drink even though I never order one. Got a salad the other day and she said "Wait, let me check it." And made sure all the stuff was in the bag. She then proclaimed "Actually looks pretty good......for McDonald's." I about fell out of the car laughing.

Many many years ago I was on the other side of the counter. I recall not a single customer ever saying anything complimentary. So every once in a while when things are very good I try to remember to be that customer I never had. Had Taco Bell the other day and discovered I ran out of nacho chips before I ran out of the meat, cheese, etc I was using them to eat. I remarked to SWMBO that in 40-odd years of eating at Taco Bell that had never happened before. So I mentioned how nice that was to the cashier on the way out. As I turned I heard a deep voice from the kitchen saying "What'd he say about my tacos?" The cashier stepped back there and repeated what I said. I turned and leaned over to look and the whole kitchen was lit up with smiles and everybody waved.

It's like the rest of life I suppose. You can make a thousand perfect hamburgers a day but the only one anyone ever cares about is that one you screwed up.
Kelly_H, Israel and Lizer like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 PM

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Fast food people are generally bottom rung employees, I tend to be surprised when my orders and good and correct.
Yeah, I guess that's so these days. I remember a near entire McD's evening crew comprised of high school buddies of mine who were all destined for a Big Ten or Ivy League school. That was Ann Arbor in the 70's. They took pride too. I remember them celebrating some national award they won in competition, "The Golden Spatula", what with they each marked the occasion by heating a spatula and applying the corner of it to their inner forearms thereby creating permanent triangular scars. There was no tatoo joint in town that I can recall, had to make do.

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Archer, S5 E7: "Don't you have a tractor pull to go headline?"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
I don't do the drive ups any more. Go inside and check my order at the counter. Even then they sometimes get it wrong. And these people want $15/hr
Exactly what I do. I even stand a the counter as they give priority to the drive through customers. I want what I want, not what they want to give me.

1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Delivered to Ball Ford in Miami Florida, purchased by Hertz Rent A Car for delivery to Miami Internation Airport
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
But they're not getting it, so don't expect $15/hr quality.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:23 PM

Whataburger and Canes chicken down here, seem to be the exception. Both places are Very well trained and friendly,....always.
j persons and bacchus203 like this.

Wife,........."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted piece of sheet."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:28 AM

The best fast food experience around here is at Chick-Fil-A. Culver's comes in at a close second.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:54 AM

We frequent Culvers, Cousins Subs and Wendy's.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 05:57 PM

Ironically enough, this weekend i called in an order for Chinese food and went to pick it up. I was in a hurry so i did not check my order. It was wrong. At least SWMBO got hers right. And even after i posted earlier about this crap.

Gotta laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gt350sr likes this.

'67 Coupe, (347 in progress) w/ EFI
AOD w/ B&M short Megashifter
EPAS w/ Bruno Box
Shelby Drop, 17" Replica's
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
It's like the rest of life I suppose. You can make a thousand perfect hamburgers a day but the only one anyone ever cares about is that one you screwed up.
Having spent my whole adult life in foodservice I can honestly say "ain't that the truth?".

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page