• 1 Post By JD08
  • 5 Post By LeeFred
  • 1 Post By rocklord

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

If this was my kid...

68Hildago likes this.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 07:31 PM

Pathetic. In the words of the maitre d' from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, "I weep for the future."

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:37 PM

Garage
We should be more angry with their parents for not showing them how to change a tire or be prepared for the real world. But then their parents in all likelihood don't know how to change a tire either. When I was in the Navy I was in the Credit Union behind a young couple with the teller explaining to them that just because they have checks left in the checkbook doesn't mean they have the money to write those checks. I too wept for the future, and it seems what is old is new again. In this case not being prepared.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5 TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:06 PM

There are a lot of kids and adults that can't change a tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
When I was in the Navy I was in the Credit Union behind a young couple with the teller explaining to them that just because they have checks left in the checkbook doesn't mean they have the money to write those checks.
OH my Just speechless.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:04 PM

My oldest daughter is just about to turn 16 and refuses to learn how to change a tire. Her excuse, she doesn't want to get dirty. I explained to her that getting a little dirty may save her hindend when she's several hours from the house, because I'm NOT driving to where she's at just to change a tire.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:19 AM

My 14 year old daughter wants to take auto shop when she starts high school this fall. She hangs around while I'm under the hood and she asks questions as to what I'm doing, what that part is, etc. Before she gets her license she is going to be taught how to change a tire and do basic maintenance.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:53 AM

Garage
Whenever that comercial comes on I always yell at the t.v. saying the kid is lazy for not knowing how to change a tire, but most likely as stated above it is probably the parents fault he doesn't know how. If that was my kid if he doesn't want to know how to change a tire & do basic maintenance, you are not driving the car. If he can pump his own gas, he can change a tire.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:08 AM

When I lived in Los Angeles I would see it all the time. A car on the side of the freeway with a flat tire and six kids standing around looking at it with their hands in their pockets.

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:44 AM

My daughter, 28, had to be able to change a tire, my rules, before she could get her license.

Big help that was, her car does not even have a spare tire.

Run Flat Tires.

RHen1514@aol.com ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 AM

Garage
Both my teenage daughters know how to change a tire, as well as drive a nail, unplug a toilet, and load and fire a gun- you know, the bare essentials. Fortunately the both were blessed with common sense and know how to use it!

Did you see the size of that chicken?! -Dirty Steve
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:27 AM

I hope my kids make so much money after college that they don't need to know how to change a tire or open a hood. Until that time comes, they'll be learning how satisfying it is to open the tool box and solve their own problems.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 AM

Something else today's kids can't do, drive a stick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Millennial-Anti-Theft-Device.jpg (65.3 KB, 7 views)
latoracing likes this.

Dan

First Auto - 1965 Mustang, 200CID, 3Spd

Currently Own
1965 Mustang, 200CID, 3spd
2013 BMW X3, 3.0L, 300HP, 8-Spd Auto
1964 Corvair Coupe, 164CID, 140HP, 4Spd
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Think this is bad, ask the average joe what all the gauges are on his/her dash are for....

" well that's obviously the battery gauge, duh, it has a battery...."

I cringe every time I see the proverbial social media post about "I got out of school and didn't know how to do taxes, wash clothes, brush teeth...blah blah blah...BUT I KNOW PYTHAGOREAN'S THEORY BY GOLLY" While entertaining, I thank the Lord that I had am mom who wanted her kids to enter young adulthood knowing how to function in society...

(although I'll admit, I never have balanced a check book....when I actually started spending real money I got into the computer and phone based budgeting. STICK IT, WORLD!)

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page