Another reason New York sucks.. - Vintage Mustang Forums

12Likes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Another reason New York sucks..

My son was driving his buddy to LaGuardia Airport from CT, and got tagged for "disobeying posted sign". This revenue generator is a sweet plan where they tag a car that has an EZ Pass account but it misfires. My son took the ticket assuming they would bill us for the toll or deduct the money from the EZ Pass (and I told him never to argue with a cop, ever), and I assumed I failed to register his plate on my EZ Pass account.

Turns out, his plate is indeed registered on my account and the police didn't bother to check the plate or look above the rear view mirror for the transponder. So I placed a call to the NY DMV to explain that there was no problem except their machinery didn't read our transponder.

The woman's answer is that we either pay the $138 dollars (and two points on his license) or file a not guilty claim and drive back to New York to fight it. This is one we'll win, but it's a bigger loss if you know what I mean.

So that's that. I thanked her for her time and wrote out the check.

New York just saved me at least $2000. Every year my wife and I drive to the city to catch one to two Broadway shows every summer including some shopping and dinner (and cheesecake later), and attend two to four games at Yankee Stadium - but I won't be going to either. I'll probably end up spending most of that on other diversions this summer, but it won't be in New York.

And here I thought the old small town revenue scams went out in the 50s!!

John
silverblueBP, Israel, rpm and 2 others like this.

Do NOT send me a private message, email me directly:delstv@aol.com
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...mustangftp.jpg
now sandblasted and DP40'd since this pic was taken.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 03:03 PM

Garage
Funny you mention it- we were coming back from Michigan past Lizer's area, then cutting down through Indiana towards Iowa. Out of nowhere we blew through a toll booth- there were so many trucks, traffic was clipping along through the pass lanes at about 90mph and we just couldn't get over- got sucked right past it. I figured I'd get the same letter you got, but so far so good- I must have gotten lucky??

Did you see the size of that chicken?! -Dirty Steve
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 04:03 PM

I don't miss living there...

I grew up on the west side near lake Erie. Never been to NYC.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 04:19 PM

Grew up on Long Island. Haven't been in the city since 9/11.
Last toll ticket I got was that time frame. Can't recall if it was
the NJ Turnpike or the Garden State Exp.
Took the rental agency six months to catch up to me at a
different command. (unmanned toll booth)
I'll guarantee it took serious dollars for them to collect that
toll.... much more than it was worth.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
Funny you mention it- we were coming back from Michigan past Lizer's area, then cutting down through Indiana towards Iowa. Out of nowhere we blew through a toll booth- there were so many trucks, traffic was clipping along through the pass lanes at about 90mph and we just couldn't get over- got sucked right past it. I figured I'd get the same letter you got, but so far so good- I must have gotten lucky??
Probably not if it was the IN toll road. IL, yeah, they have a massive backlog. A buddy went thru there and a couple months, or less later, got a nice large bill cuz he forgot to pay it online.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:06 PM

I went to atlantic city with some buddies, i offered to let the guy driving use my ezpass....he got tickets from jersy, md, and de. for going thru the tolls. when i went to my ezpass office they said my device was 14 years old and the battery was dead. so they gave me a new transponder, charged me the toll, but no fines, i had to call the ez pass offices of the other states, fill out the dispute forms, one state on line, de thru the mail,and give them the transponder info, pay the tolls, and all 3 states waived the fees. I was told i can use the thing in any vehicle, but if it doesnt get read, the ticket goes to the tagged vehicle, which makes sense, but it semmed odd i could just say, oh yeah, i have an ezpass, lets charge it to this unit.. . Why would NY be so different though as to require you to come there? Oh, and by the time i got the info from the driver the tickets were overdue, they would have totaled 400 ish for all...i was quite relieved.... i can't believe everyone does not have ez pass.. Your sure there was no other way around it? What a shame...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
You were only going 90 on the Indiana toll road? Surprised you didn't get a ticket for impeding traffic! I got a warning ticket on the toll road about 4 years ago. I was doing 84mph. When you get near the Illinois border they do enforce the speed limit.

Like Dr Hawkeye mentioned above, you might want to check with the states website, whether it be Indiana or Illinois. They do have a grace period. I plan on being in Illinois this weekend and will be checking my transponder data afterwards to make sure everything is OK!

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.

Last edited by Nailbender; 06-13-2017 at 09:49 PM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Grew up on Long Island. Haven't been in the city since 9/11.
Last toll ticket I got was that time frame. Can't recall if it was
the NJ Turnpike or the Garden State Exp.
Took the rental agency six months to catch up to me at a
different command. (unmanned toll booth)
I'll guarantee it took serious dollars for them to collect that
toll.... much more than it was worth.
Where on Long Island?

Went to Atlantic City and coming home my son puts easy pass in glove box, They sent the toll to me thru plate number, just sent them my easy pass acct, no fine just the toll

Larry

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 12:37 AM

I lived in Syosset until '69. My 1968 was bought at Plainview Ford.
I know that area like the proverbial back of my hand because I
learned to ride a two-wheeler in those years and I rode all over
the place.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:28 AM

I live in flyover country...what are these toll roads you speak of ? ?

rpm likes this.

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017:
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:47 AM

Toll Road: That's a road that generates additional money when you use it that was already paid for by fuel tax, truckers fees, Federal taxes, County Taxes and City Taxes. Oh yea tickets!
rpm and Dave R. like this.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
I lived in Syosset until '69. My 1968 was bought at Plainview Ford.
I know that area like the proverbial back of my hand because I
learned to ride a two-wheeler in those years and I rode all over
the place.
Around that time visited Lafayette many times, now a Home Depot stands on that spot.

I've lived min Centereach all my life

Larry

Last edited by Grabber Blu; 06-14-2017 at 09:05 AM.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
The Illinois Tollways you have to go online, find the booth you missed, enter your licence plate data, and pay the bill. I would bet money IN is the same way. You only have 7 days until they fine you though, might be worth looking into.

ask me how I know.....

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blu View Post
Around that time visited Lafayette many times, now a Home Depot stands on that spot.

I've lived min Centereach all my life
Only was in there a couple of times with my Dad...... electronics was
something mystical to me at that age.

Sunken Meadow was as close as I know I've been to Centereach....

- Douglas Adams
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crallscars View Post
Toll Road: That's a road that generates additional money when you use it that was already paid for by fuel tax, truckers fees, Federal taxes, County Taxes and City Taxes. Oh yea tickets!

You know, in MI the only reason we have 11,000 lakes is because they're potholes that just filled up with water. Our current road funding means are woefully inadequate as our roads are horrible and we have the lowest spent on roads per capita in the country. Or at least used to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
gt350sr likes this.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page