Any Ford techs here? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Any Ford techs here?

My wife's 2009 Edge finally finished destroying it's PTU (transfer case). I have the correct - brand new Ford PTU in my hands, and I need to change it out this weekend. I've read several procedures and they make passing mention of replacing a certain seal anytime the PTU is removed from the vehicle, but is this seal part of the PTU, or is it a seal on the transaxle that needs to be changed? The new PTU is prefilled so I know any seals on the PTU are new.

I do NOT want to have to stop in the middle of this process and have to locate any special seal or special tool to finish this once I start.

Right now, all it needs is the PTU. There are no leaks.

Can I just install the new PTU or do I needs something else.

John

Do NOT send me a private message, email me directly:delstv@aol.com
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...mustangftp.jpg
now sandblasted and DP40'd since this pic was taken.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:00 AM

Service manual calls out replacing the "intermediate shaft seal".

I'm going to guess is that this is the seal that goes in between the trans and the PTU - either on a shaft of between the bodies. I would pick one up and replace it. It'd be a shame to re-do a job to save the cash over a seal (which, admittedly, can be non-insignificant...)

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69StangRestomod View Post
Service manual calls out replacing the "intermediate shaft seal".

I'm going to guess is that this is the seal that goes in between the trans and the PTU - either on a shaft of between the bodies. I would pick one up and replace it. It'd be a shame to re-do a job to save the cash over a seal (which, admittedly, can be non-insignificant...)

This is where the question is! The intermediate shaft seal is most likely included on the new PTU from what I've gathered.

Strange that I've scoured the web and can't find a definitive answer.

John

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:39 AM

Unless it's in the tail housing of the transmission.

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:46 AM

You've probably seen this in your escapades, but I found this helpful:

https://www.myfordfreestyle.com/foru...hp?f=12&t=5140

Looks like it is in the PTU unit. If you have a PTU in hand, why not check it and see?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Just some guy

Garage
In aftermarket parts listings they only show a right axle seal. There's no option for FWD or AWD so I'd take the seal to work for both. From my dim memory there would be an (output) axle seal on the transmission and the PTU had an input shaft seal also. As there is no gasket or sealing surface between them AND they use different lubricants they both have to have seals.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:47 PM

Has there been long term success after replacing the PTU?

Bill
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk10s View Post
Has there been long term success after replacing the PTU?
Yes. Replace the PTU and sell the car. No more trouble after that. That advice is for Edge, Explorer, and Flex owners. Ford has revised the box several times, but nothing seems to be helping.

There are theories on why the PTU will last between 20 and 80K miles, and my theory is heat. The PTU gets scalding hot, part of it from friction losses that any mechanic device has and the other part (speculation) is from it's installation environment. The cat is mere inches away from the PTU and we all know how hot these things get.

One thing we know for sure is that the synthetic lube installed turns to a black tar:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/at...553978&thumb=1

Now the first thing that pops in anyone's head is that the PTU should be serviced regularly to remove the oil before it turns to axle grease, and that makes sense. Unfortunately, Ford equipped the PTU with a drain plug for export models only. Yep. Now since this problem was known way back in 07 when they were crapping out in their first year of production, you would think that Ford would have immediately given all PTUs drain plugs and revised the maintenance procedure - but you'd be wrong. The fill plug is easy to get to even on the ground, but if you attempt to suck out the fluid with some sort of a vacuum apparatus, you will find that you can only get the hose about an inch into the PTU before running into gear obstruction (tightly packed box). Ford says the only way to service the PTU is to remove it, or I guess turn the car upside down....

This makes the Edge, Explorer, and Flex AWD systems light duty. Any towing in my estimation is going to aggravate the situation. If the vehicle is operated in flat areas in more tepid climates, there shouldn't be too much trouble.

My wife's daily commute includes a long drive up a hill/mountain, and of course the trip home requires another mountain climb. We also occasionally will climb Southington Mountain in CT, a full mile at a very steep 10% (all the way). If your car has an overheating problem, it will puke itself silly climbing this mountain.

My "solution" is twofold: I'm going to drill and tap in a drainplug at the bottom of the new PTU and change the fluid with every oil change and I'm going to instruct my wife to stay in the right lane on the mountain commute and keep her speed down to keep the cat from getting too hot. We'll also avoid Southington Mountain and take the old County Rd. which is much longer but a shallower ascent. I'll see how the fluid is doing and may extend the drain interval to every other change or twice yearly.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KICX5248_zps85e5eaf3.jpg~c200.jpg (16.1 KB, 10 views)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 AM

The Fusion and Lincoln MKS with AWD option use the same PTU as well with similar issues...

It's a shame really, but Ford probably saved ten cents a unit not putting the drain plug in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page