Tick Bites - Vintage Mustang Forums

13Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Tick Bites

'nuther Public Service Anouncement:

I know a lot of guys laugh off tick repellent or like home made remedies that may or may not work but I would STRONGLY suggest using some proven repellents when getting out in the woods. The ticks are very bad this year, at least here in Kentucky. A friend of mine was diagnosed with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever last week and put on appropriate treatments however his condition is getting worse to the point that he can't walk on his own (104+ fever, nose bleed, swollen face and bloodshot eyes) and may be admitted to the hospital in Louisville on the recommendation of the CDC. If the CDC is involved, you know the situation is serious.
app01 and gt350sr like this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:16 AM

Garage
I was traipsing around the woods here in Iowa last week looking for a '59 Ford a buddy told me about and took my Dad with me as he loves a good car hunt. We finally found the car, but it was so deep in the woods that it'll take a fella with a chainsaw about 2 weeks to free it! Empty trailer in tow, I first dropped him off, then went home to my place. He called and said to thoroughly check myself for ticks as he said Mom found 4 on him- mostly neck and head area. I lucked out and didn't get any- told him it was because he moved so much slower than me!!
Around here the word is that since we had such a mild winter, the ticks, mosquitoes, and wasps are going to be really bad this year. I'll vouch for the wasps already- I've probably foamed and squashed at least 3 plate sized nests around my place alone!
gwstang and Huntingky like this.

Did you see the size of that chicken?! -Dirty Steve
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:06 AM

We had a huge outbreak last year and put a Seresto collar on the dog. It seems to have done the trick because we hardly saw one after that.
Huntingky and 4ocious like this.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM

very bad here in Massachusetts as well. Just walking in the yard we have to check ourselves and our dogs all the time. I had to pull one off this weekend that sunk its teeth into me.

www.PalmieriConcepts.com custom showboards
10.17 @134(still practicing)
70 Mach 1 w/Boss 460 Stroker Engine-Build http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...ld-thread.html
70 Boss 302-May 70, Dearborn-Build http://www.palmiericoncepts.com/My-M...970Boss302.htm
62 Corvette-Build http://www.palmiericoncepts.com/My-M...roon/index.htm

MCA, MCCNE Member
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Odd how some sites say if the head rips off and stays in your body, it's no big deal while other sites say to get it out and disinfect it immediately. The last few I had to remove I heated up a pair of tweezers and pinched them- they let go immediately and pulled right off- fortunately in tact. I think I'd be hard pressed to leave any remnants in there!
Huntingky likes this.

Did you see the size of that chicken?! -Dirty Steve
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:59 PM

Last year one of the local police officer’s wife contracted Limes Disease from a tick. They wound up putting her into a medical coma. She did survive however; she is now dealing with Alzheimer. She is in her mid to late 40's.
Huntingky likes this.

Steve
67 Fastback
(Under Restoration)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:59 PM

Ticks suck.

Smear a coat of Vaseline over the top and wait a minute.
They back right out and you can get all of it with the tweezers.
(This really works.)
Huntingky likes this.

68 FB 302GT in progress, really.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:03 PM

I remember when ticks were thick as flies around here. Then about 10 or 15 years ago the fire ants invaded and I haven't seen a tick since. So you guys up north just wait- as soon as the fire ants arrive (and they will!) your tick problems will be gone!
Huntingky likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
I remember when ticks were thick as flies around here. Then about 10 or 15 years ago the fire ants invaded and I haven't seen a tick since. So you guys up north just wait- as soon as the fire ants arrive (and they will!) your tick problems will be gone!
Same at my place. Unfortunately, the fire ants appear to be wiping out toads and lizzards also or any other animal that lays eggs in the ground like turtles and snakes. I still have some lizzards but frankly I do not know how they are surviving.
Huntingky likes this.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec

331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

One of the last tnt's on my 289 may she rest in pieces. It ran in the
high 11's low 12's when it was at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWPZGfMT0
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Spent a couple years in Texas and not to fond of the fire ants either!

66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

For me personally, I have what is both a curse and a blessing when it comes to ticks and chiggers.
The curse: I am allergic and very reactive to their bites. This means that that a small bite from either lasts for weeks for me, long after most folks have forgotten about them. I have had it take up to 2 months for the itching to go away.
The blessing: I am allergic and very reactive to their bites. When they start biting I react with a lot of itching and burning almost immediately, long before they get a chance to dig in and start their vampire ways.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
We had a huge outbreak last year and put a Seresto collar on the dog. It seems to have done the trick because we hardly saw one after that.
If you're having a big outbreak I'd still do a oral or topical tick preventive as well. These kill the ticks when they start feeding if the tick gets past the collar. A tick needs to feed for 24-48 hr before it regurgitates the Borellia burgdorferi bacterium that causes Lyme disease, and likewise for Anaplasma or Rickettsia. The tick that spreads these is the black legged tick (aka deer tick) and in their nymph stage are EXTREMELY small so very difficult to find.

Y'all should make sure your dogs get their Lyme and Lepto vaccine every year too!

I highly recommend this tool for removing ticks. Hook then and twist and they pop right out.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Tick...EY2FTKB1M3FVNJ

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:14 AM

Garage
Considering all the places a deer can't reach to scratch, and the tools they have to scratch with, how do they remove all these ticks from themselves?

I remember what we used to call seed ticks. I was down in the woods once and I saw a seething massive ball of these things on the branch of a shrub. There were thousands of the things in one big ball. We used to pick them out with tweezers because they will embed themselves in your skin or maybe they cause the skin to swell around them with some allergic reaction.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec

331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

One of the last tnt's on my 289 may she rest in pieces. It ran in the
high 11's low 12's when it was at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWPZGfMT0

Last edited by macstang; 06-20-2017 at 02:16 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstang View Post
Considering all the places a deer can't reach to scratch, and the tools they have to scratch with, how do they remove all these ticks from themselves?

I remember what we used to call seed ticks. I was down in the woods once and I saw a seething massive ball of these things on the branch of a shrub. There were thousands of the things in one big ball. We used to pick them out with tweezers because they will embed themselves in your skin or maybe they cause the skin to swell around them with some allergic reaction.

The tick will drop off as part of the life cycle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 PM

"Considering all the places a deer can't reach to scratch, and the tools they have to scratch with, how do they remove all these ticks from themselves?"

I've shot bucks at the beginning of our season down here, Nov. 20th and found them covered in ticks. Belly would be black with them. The season needs to be pushed up to where we at least have a couple of good frosts. It's still hot in the middle of Nov. sometimes. Just make the season a little longer on the other end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page