Electrial / Plumbing Code Question - Sink vs Electrical Panel - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hey guys,

I'm still working away on that little garage project I took on. Yesterday, I got the new gas boiler hung, got the vent and flue through the wall and ran gas to it. This afternoon, I'm going to get the utility sink picked up and start in on installing it.

Looking at how cars park, and where the doors swing, the utility sink needs to move as close to the electric subpanel as possible. Yet, somehow, I have a feeling there's a rule that limits this sort of thing. This is a 100 AMP subpanel. I'd like to mount the utility sink about 2 feet to the right of it. It would also be about 2 feet beneath it. Access to the panel isn't going to be a problem. All the plumbing is plastic, if that matters.

Any code on this? No one out here in the sticks is ever going to check it. Still, I'd just as soon follow the rule, if there is one.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

In PA I think the rule is... any outlet within 3 feet of a sink has to be a GFI. I really would not put a sink that close to a sub panel. There must be another place to you can place it.

In my area, if the house was ever sold you would have to get a Use and Occupancy permit for a new owner. In that case it would have to be fixed/moved.

discbrakeswap.com front discs.
Vinman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Phil, I don't think you'll have any issues if I understand your question correctly. As long as the panel isn't block and has a clear, unobstructed space in front and below, you're fine IIRC, the number is I think 3 feet working space in front and the width of the panel to allow servicing. Don't have my code book handy. As far as oulets, they should all be on a GFCI outlet/breaker in a garage unless the outlet is dedicated specifally for something, such as a central vac, garage door opener, refrigerator, ect. You cannot use a conventional dupex outlet, meaning plugging in 2 devices into it. It needs to be a single style that will only allow one decive, similar to a clock outlet. Basically stated, there can't be anything in front or below the panel. Besides you already passed your final electrical inspection.

Rehab is for quiters!

Huskinhano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
AKA Exchevman

I think Tom's right. My code book is at work also but I think the 3 foot is fine. I can look it up in the Am but I sure more will chime in before I get a chance to look it up. 70 Sportsroof is an Elect. Eng and a lot younger than I :p , he might know as he does this all the time.

"Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL165.../372997894.jpg
dvturnupseed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys,

I checked with my electrician buddy after church today and he agreed. No problems on the code with the panel. He mentioned the issue with GFI.

My buddy at church is a good resource, but I always need to check what he tells me. He did his apprenticeship on a battleship during dubbya dubba two. He's been retired long enough that there have probably been several changes to the code since he was involved on a day-to-day basis.

I thought there might be a more restrictive rule. When we installed the hot tub, the instructions said the disconnect had to be a minium of 6' away from the tub. I was afraid there might be something like that in the code...and in this case, I just don't have another 4-feet to move the sink. I'd just have to not install it if it came to that.

As far as electrical inspections? There are none in this area of the planet. I guess there's a potential the my insurance company might inspect it, but there is no building authority to do it. Not in this town. Not in this county. The way I look at it, just because it isn't going to be inspected doesn't mean it shouldn't be done right.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exchevman
I think Tom's right. My code book is at work also but I think the 3 foot is fine. I can look it up in the Am but I sure more will chime in before I get a chance to look it up. 70_Fastback is an Elect. Eng and a lot younger than I :p , he might know as he does this all the time.
You need to have a 30" wide space in front of the panel, and the 30" clear space shall have a minimum clear distance of 36" for a nominal voltage to ground of 0 - 150V (i.e.: your scenario). basically a 30" wide space in front of your panel, extending out 36". And per code, the 30" width can be measure from either edge of the panelboard - it does not have to be centered.

Make sure no water piping, vent, etc runs directly above the "foot print" of the panelboard. You have to keep 6' above the panel clear of any "foreign" systems.

1970 'Grabber' Sportsroof

1942 GMC Ratrod Truck

1928 Model A - traditional hotrod project
70_Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.