F-150 rear pinion seal leak; knock noise from differential - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Looked under my 2002 F-150 tonight and noticed I have a pinion seal leak. I've been hearing a "Knock" comming from my rear diff for a little while now...it only makes the noise once, if it makes it at all, when I accelerate or when I deccelerate. It does it as soon as I put my foot on the gas. What is it? Slip Bump? Limited slip issues? Drive shaft? Are there any additives I can use to try to stop the pinion seal leak?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...DSCF0139-1.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/DSCF3667.jpg
1969 Mach 1- 357w: 11:1 compression, ported Canfield heads, FTI billet solid roller cam, Vic Jr., 850 Mighty Demon
Full manual AODE transmission w/ 9.5" Art Carr converter; 4.11 detroit locker

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2554478
6t9mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check out f150online.com if you don't get any better responses here

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

On my old 93 F150 with a limited slip 8.8 inch rear, I had similar symptoms. Replaced pinion seal, u-joint, until there was no denying that it was the differential. By that time it had started to whine pretty bad. The carrier bearings were shot and there was metallic contamination in the differential fluid. I had about 130,000 miles on it at the time. I am no differential expert, but the clunking could be the u-joint alone.
2005 F150 FX4 Flareside

http://www.1969stang.com/albums/Fred...ng/redmach.jpg
cobramach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Most rear ends get a little slack in them after break-in and will act like this. Could be bad u-joint, or mis-aligned carrier (causing slack between ring and pinion.) Probably not a limited slip problem - when the axle clutches wear out they just quit spinning the tires.

Bad bearings usually make a grinding noise. Axle bearings will be louder when turning a corner or swapping lanes (when more weight is on them.) Carrier and pinion bearings have a more constant noise.

I'm in the process of rebuilding the 8.8 in my Cobra right now. Rear had been sounding like a washing machine. Got in and found the driver's side carrier bearing was shot and there was metal all over the place. Excellent time to upgrade to 4.10s!

As for the leak - you can't replace the pinion seal without pulling the pinion, replacing the crush bearing and re-torquing everything. Might as well replace all the bearings while you have it apart. Not sure if there are any reliable additives that will stop the leak.

http://www.photographiti.com/cars/misc/sigpic09.jpg
fastlane_65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.