Military Discharge for "Uncharacterized Description of Service"? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Military Discharge for "Uncharacterized Description of Service"?

Anyone know about this?

A relative of mine signed up for the Army Reserves, was ready to go to basic training, but then chickened out and didn't go.

The Army has agreed to a discharge called a discharge for "Uncharacterized Description of Service". The other options, of course, are an "Honorable Discharge" and an "Other Than Honorable Discharge (aka Dis-honorable Discharge)."

Before my relative agrees to this discharge for "Uncharacterized Description of Service", is anyone familiar with form of discharge, and if it has any negative effects on future civilian life?

To say the least, most of the family is disappointed in my relative's decision not to go, but as they say, you can only lead a horse to water...

Many thanks for your thoughts in advance.

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
Rorin67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Chapter 8
Entry Level Performance and Conduct

8-1. Basis

a. A Soldier may be separated under this chapter if he or she is notified of the initiation of separation proceedings while in an entry level status (see glossary ) when it is determined under the guidance set forth in chapter 2, section I , that the Soldier is unqualified for further military service by reason of unsatisfactory performance or conduct (or both), as evidenced by inability, lack of reasonable effort, failure to adapt to the military environment or minor disciplinary infractions.

b. When separation of a Soldier in entry level status is warranted by unsatisfactory performance or minor disciplinary infractions (or both), the Soldier normally will be separated in accordance with this chapter. Nothing in this chapter prevents separation under another provision of this regulation when such is warranted.

8-2. Counseling and rehabilitation
Separation processing may not be initiated under this chapter until the Soldier has been formally counseled under the requirements prescribed by paragraph 2-4 .

8-3. Characterization and description
The service of a Soldier who is separated under this chapter will be uncharacterized.

8-4. Procedures

a. The Notification Procedure (chap 3, sec II ) will be used.

b. The MATP policy prescribed by chapter 1, section V , will govern whether the Soldier will be discharged, or transferred to the IRR.

8-5. Separation authority
The authorities cited in paragraph 1-10 may order separation under this paragraph.
Looks like it's not considered honorable, but it doesn't seem like it's a form of the big chicken dinner. I figure it would be more clear-cut than that, being the military and all, but...
Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

No matter what, I believe there will be a code future employers can locate and read. See if it turns Honorable after a certain time frame. Some used to. That person could have been charged with a lot more that could ruin a lot of future chances.
'07 GT Vert (The family car)
'66 Coupe (For fun)
Previously owned: Blue '66 Coupe, Red '66 Coupe, red '68 Coupe, Black '87 GT HO, Red '00 GT Vert
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

Default Re: Military Discharge for "Uncharacterized Description of Service&quo

Did he sign a contract with the military? If he signed then he must live with the consequences.
Stan
President BAMA 2012-
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
aslan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

Default Re: Military Discharge for "Uncharacterized Description of Service&quo

Maybe this will answer your question.
Stan
President BAMA 2012-
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
aslan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: Military Discharge for "Uncharacterized Description of Service"?

IMO, any discharge other than honorable (except, of course a medical discharge) raises questions and will probably keep you from getting a lot of jobs.

The one exception (I can think of) is from involuntary separation due to a RIF and a unit or slot goes away, but those don't happen much anymore.

Beri Fraley
Strong, Proud, and Ugly.
http://w3f.com/gifs/flag/animated/a-usa.gif

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14773.png
Cobra6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Never heard of it. None of my business but why did he chicken out? I served and I don't regret my decision to serve our country not one bit actually it was a great experience I'll never forget it.
coupesix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

After filling out literally hundreds of job applications, let me say, his discharge means pretty much diddly.

Number one, don't ask, don't tell. If he never reported for duty, he was never in the Army. At best he was in a delayed entry program.

Regardless, most applications only ask if you're a "protected" veteran. Basically, someone who served during a period of hostilities. If you served during cold war or post cold war periods, you might as well not have served.

Service doesn't mean what it use to, and discharges don't mean as much either. Unless applying for gov't sector where security clearances are involved, it doesn't matter.

Roughly half of the applications I've completed ask about prior service. I can't remember ONE asking type of discharge.

If he never reported for duty, he was never in the service, period.

Quote:
Source Second, those enlisting on active duty will have at least two enlistment contracts -- the initial contract for the Delayed Enlistment Program, and a final contract that one will sign on the day they go to MEPS to ship out to basic training. The contract that COUNTS is the final contract. It doesn't matter if your enlistment bonus, advanced rank, college loan repayment program, college fund, etc., are not included in the first contract. However, you need to make sure all of your desired incentives are included in the final active duty contract (if your enlistment program/job choice entitles you to those incentives).
Did your relative sign the final one??

Added 8/09 New King Cobra Clutch, Power Steering and Power Brakes
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...001_medium.jpg
Daves72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

You beat me to this one Daves, that is the way I understand it to be, unless they changed the policy or altered it for just one service.....

My wife wasgiven a Admin Sep with an RE4 discharge. That was before we met. Anyway, she has applied and worked at the Navy Exchange on base and off base since that time. She even disclosed that she had that in her past and they still hired her. So I dont think it will hurt much.......A dishonorable or whatever will hurt bad though. One thing to look into is the government benefits he could lose in this....eg: Federal money for college, governemnt programs for helping buy a house, etc...you get the idea....

Best of luck to him on this, I hope he doesnt regret the decision in the future....
gibs67cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys - the "he" is actually a "she" - my niece. I am not 100% sure of her reason for not going, but I believe it was merely a change of heart. And yes, we (especially she) needs to live with the consequences of not living up to her obligations.

From your responses I'm inclined to believe it's not a big deal. Regarding the govt benefits aspect, by law you are only denied future govt benefits if you are discharged under either of the two "dis-honorable" discharge listings, which are "general" discharge and "other than honorable" discharge. You obviously get bene's if you have an "honorable" discharge, and it appears as if you are not later denied bene's if you have an "uncharacterized" discharge.

I do not know if she signed the "final" contract - I will find out. I do know that she never went to basic, and that she never showed up on the day she was supposed to leave for basic.

Thanks again guys!

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
Rorin67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Military Discharge for "Uncharacterized Description of Service"?

Dave is right - MOST people don't ask, but if you are trying to get a job that requires a security clearance........
different story

Beri Fraley
Strong, Proud, and Ugly.
http://w3f.com/gifs/flag/animated/a-usa.gif

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14773.png
Cobra6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

There is no real need for a prospective employer to ask; it shows up in the background check since it gets attached to the SSN. I still get asked about aspects I don't wish to discuss when a check is done, and I always check the box for military service since it could show one is covering something up if the app and check don't match. I've never heard of this part of the UCMJ though. I've been discharged since 1976 and many things have changed. My thought is to advise her to check with a head hunter and find out if it matters; they'd know. Semper Fidelis.
VictorII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

The link above refers to someone who has already been on active duty. Civilians are NOT subject to the UCMJ, so there is no disciplinary action.

I'm not an expert in administrative procedures, and a lot of armchair lawyers and urban legends are misleading. I've known people who got an entry level separation from one branch of the service and enlisted in another branch without telling them, so it wasn't tracked or recorded, at least as of the mid 90s.
lucmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.