Which air nail gun to buy? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Moderatly Old Fart

Default Which air nail gun to buy?

The plan is to use the compressor in the garage and put nails in wood.

The latest task is to install new doors so good size nails are required. And I have to put on trim around the doors.

And suggestions for a nailer that can do thee 2 things?

Is an electric nailer even a consideration?

http://www.chicago-mustang.com/gene/PupinnaPony2.jpg

Back by popular demand!
Gene_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Which air nail gun to buy?

I've got 4 Stanley Bostich nailers and have had very good luck with them... The problem with nail guns is they aren't all that versital...
Framing, Finish. Delicate Finish, Roofing etc...

Framing nailer - coil shoots upt to 3-1/2" nails, very powerful and blasts a lot of air.

Siding and trim nailer, N63 I think... shoots up to a ~1-1/4" to 2-1/2 nail, Overall I use this one the most for siding, plywood sheeting / decking.

2-1/2" finish gun is good for anything that you want to use the heavier finish nails with. I've also got a nice brad nailer that also shoots a 1/2" to 2-1/2" nail, but the gauge of the nails are much thinner ~16 guage and is really designed for delicate work. I got this for doing fancy trim work on my kitchen cabinets. Light delicate shot, light impact on the wood.

If you're doing a front entrance door / trim I would nail the door with 16 penny nails by hand and get a finish nailer capable of 15 gauge finish nails to do both interior and exteriot trim. The N63 gun would also be good if your just trimming the exterior with brickmold or even 3/4 pine.

For interior doors, the 14 gauge finish gun will also work fine.

'68 Highland Green, custom built tubular chassis, Fox rack & pinion steering,'89 HO/331, Cobra intake, E303, AFR 165 heads / T5z spec transmission,
8.8" rear end w/ 3.27, Auburn limited slip, triangulated 4 link, QA1 coil overs front and rear, Cobra 4 wheel Disk brakes. '01 Silver Bullit wheels.
Was a coupe, now with a fastback roof. First run 13.3 @ 107.
stangg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Senco and Pasload make nice products. If you are just going to use it once though, there is no need to get anything fancy; get a Harbor Freight special. Get a framing nailer and a finish nail gun or even a brad nailer/Pinner if you have small trim to install.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...DSCF0139-1.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/DSCF3667.jpg
1969 Mach 1- 357w: 11:1 compression, ported Canfield heads, FTI billet solid roller cam, Vic Jr., 850 Mighty Demon
Full manual AODE transmission w/ 9.5" Art Carr converter; 4.11 detroit locker

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2554478
6t9mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jim

When I was building my shop I bought a cheap Harbor Freight gun. My thinking was that I wouldn't have much need for it after I was done with that project, so I didn't want to spend the green for a good gun.
It made it through the project, but I did have to repair it several times. I don't think I'd recommend it, but thought I'd pipe in just to give you another reference point. It's for sale, BTW.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

I use screws for 2x4's and installing items like doors. I use my Dewalt impact driver those those.

I bought a $25 cheap finish nailer at Princess Auto (the Cdn version of Harbor Freight) for trim. It has worked fine for 3 years.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wouldn't waste money on a cheap nail gun. I also wouldn't buy the most expensive either. I have a collection of various Bostich (trim) and Dewalt (framing) and have been very happy with them. Keep them clean and oiled and they'll last the typical homeowner a lifetime.
Cheap guns misfire, poorly setting nails or damaging trim. Unless you are spending a good amount of cash, stay away from electric. They can be very heavy to handle and, in my experience, not as reliable. If you already have a compressor, air guns are the obvious choice.
You may think you won't use them often but you would be surprised how often they come in handy.
T-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I bought a used Stantech sdcn12b (same as a Bostitch N80CB) on ebay.

It'll shoot 1-1/2 to 3-1/2 inch nails. I can frame, fence, sheath and side with it and its indestructible.

http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?...Framing+Nailer
lucmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

hmmm... I have that N80 as well... never thought about shooting 1-1/2" nails with it... but then again I like the N63 because it's lighter and easier to handle. Using that n80 in closed quarters can be a bit of a bear on the ears.

'68 Highland Green, custom built tubular chassis, Fox rack & pinion steering,'89 HO/331, Cobra intake, E303, AFR 165 heads / T5z spec transmission,
8.8" rear end w/ 3.27, Auburn limited slip, triangulated 4 link, QA1 coil overs front and rear, Cobra 4 wheel Disk brakes. '01 Silver Bullit wheels.
Was a coupe, now with a fastback roof. First run 13.3 @ 107.
stangg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Black_67stang

Binford 8200?

1967 coupe- Keith Craft 306 street/T5z with Pro 5.0. Arning Drop/ Bilsteins/ cut 720's up front and 4.5 mideyes out back. 13 inch Cobra discs

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2236002/1
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...10_n-1-1-1.jpg
Black_67stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bob
I wouldn't waste money on a cheap nail gun. I also wouldn't buy the most expensive either. I have a collection of various Bostich (trim) and Dewalt (framing) and have been very happy with them. Keep them clean and oiled and they'll last the typical homeowner a lifetime.
Cheap guns misfire, poorly setting nails or damaging trim. Unless you are spending a good amount of cash, stay away from electric. They can be very heavy to handle and, in my experience, not as reliable. If you already have a compressor, air guns are the obvious choice.
You may think you won't use them often but you would be surprised how often they come in handy.
What he said! I bought a small Bostitch to install crown molding and door molding. It shoots the small 16 ga nails up to 2" long. I paid $80 for it and don't regret it minute. I have found it incredibly handy for other projects since, and have even had a friend decide he'd like to use it, too.

There's no one-size fits all solution. Unless you're building a house (or addition), I'd do the big stuff by hand. I like screws, too, but they're more work (I always pre-drill). If you use screws, get the ones with the Torx head! Amazing.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Beach Bum

I have 1 Stanley Bostitch framing nailer, a couple Craftsman, 1 brad nailer, 1 stapler, & a couple Porter Cabler nailers. I build furniture as another hobby & all of them have performed good for me. I would reccomend either of them.
2000 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (My DD) w/01 lights & grille.
2008 Escape (Wifes DD)
MCA#-04549. MCA member for 35 years.
"The times I've been mistaken, its impossible to say". - The Moody Blues.
My 69 Coupe build album
http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff499/NJMike69/

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...h_100_0339.jpg
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.