Anyone got any "unique" or "different" hobbies? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Anyone got any "unique" or "different" hobbies?

Since we have a few neat off topic threads going I decided to add one more...............and you folks may commit me to the ward for this one.

Some of you may know I've been into model trains since I was little and currently have a large "L" shaped 9' x 13' HO layout in the basement plus have alot of O, N and a few pieces of G scale. Well I have another 'hobby' too that I really don't mention. I collect and restore vintage Electrolux vacuum cleaners, plus collect the attachments and sales brochures associated with them. I even have a few mini ones that are piggy banks!

I have 2 of them "in service" that I use but the others even though they have been restored to fully functional status are "display only". Here's some pics,

Model S from 1956, in service.

Model 1205 Deluxe from 1972, in service

Some of the hoses and attachments I have. I'm not quite sure where everything is as I have it squirreled away wherever I found space!

Hoses (the 2 blue hoses are what you would call "NOS" in the Mustang world. Aren't easy to find in that condition. The 2 vacs that I have in service are running replacement hoses. The brown hose in the pic is cloth and for the Model XXX from 1939 in the first and second pics. It's the vac that has skiis/rails instead of wheels.

Some attachments. Again, the blue vintage ones aren't easy to find in new condition. I just collect them, they aren't in use.

Yes, I may be "wierd".........but look on the bright side, I'll get 3 meals a day and a nice place to sleep on the mental ward!

Jason
The project vehicles:
'68 Mustang coupe, Acapulco Blue, 289, C-4, power steering
'87 Caprice Classic wagon, gold/blonde, 307, power everything (retired everyday driver)
Hopefully a '69 convert or Sportsroof (non Mach or Boss) for next Mustang project.
MCA# 66352
Trying to find my father's 1973 Mustang Grande he bought brand new. 3F04F126773 last known registration and title was in New Jersey, 1982.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_H_237 View Post
...I collect and restore vintage Electrolux vacuum cleaners, plus collect the attachments and sales brochures associated with them. I even have a few mini ones that are piggy banks!...
Freak!

'65 2+2
347 - Holley DP - 471 fwhp
JBA shorty's, 2.5" tubes, Dr Gas X-pipe
T-5 world class 5 speed, w/ .80 OD
9" with 3.70's & T-loc
4 wheel Wilwood disc brakes
17" CL-205's, 225/45 & 255/40
TCP/Global West suspension
OpenTracker roller spring perches
subframe connectors, Panhard bar
TCP manual rack & pinion
Power door/window locks w/ keyless entry
Driven, not pampered
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Garage

LOL When I first looked at that pic I thought it was a Stanley Thermos.
Stan

From start to finish:
http://s863.photobucket.com/user/asl...?sort=6&page=1
Bay Area Mustang Association
President BAMA 2012-2014
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 PM

I restore old dishwashers. NOT!

Weirdo!

'67 Fastback 351c, T-5, 3.70 Trac-lok
'69 Mach 1 project
'71 Boss 351

Last edited by joe69; 10-27-2009 at 10:01 PM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 PM

I have a big paludarium (1/2 land - 1/2 water aquarium) that houses poison arrow dart frogs.

'65 2+2
347 - Holley DP - 471 fwhp
JBA shorty's, 2.5" tubes, Dr Gas X-pipe
T-5 world class 5 speed, w/ .80 OD
9" with 3.70's & T-loc
4 wheel Wilwood disc brakes
17" CL-205's, 225/45 & 255/40
TCP/Global West suspension
OpenTracker roller spring perches
subframe connectors, Panhard bar
TCP manual rack & pinion
Power door/window locks w/ keyless entry
Driven, not pampered
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
I have a big paludarium (1/2 land - 1/2 water aquarium) that houses poison arrow dart frogs.
And Jay's a "freak"?? I don't think I'll ever get poisoned by a vacuum. LOL
Stan

From start to finish:
http://s863.photobucket.com/user/asl...?sort=6&page=1
Bay Area Mustang Association
President BAMA 2012-2014
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 PM

AFTER RESTORING 1 50S FRIDGE I AM LOOKING FOR ANOTHER , it's kinda like restoring cars but faster and cheaper .

i am currently looking for a 1950s philco v handle . door opens to left and right depending on which way you push the handle.

1966 convert
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemstang66 View Post
AFTER RESTORING 1 50S FRIDGE I AM LOOKING FOR ANOTHER , it's kinda like restoring cars but faster and cheaper .

i am currently looking for a 1950s philco v handle . door opens to left and right depending on which way you push the handle.
I saw a GE fridge that hangs on a wall that would be perfect for you. Was from the 50s, sort of a Playboy Pink. Looked like regular old upper cabinets. Two units were fridges, and one a freezer. It was on Craigslist and is now gone though.. Can't remember the model.

----

My brother's neighbor in Sleepy Hollow, NY is a master electrician. He restores Electrolux Vaccuums too. Randomly, my brother found one in his basement when he bought the house that the neighbor fixed.

----

My weird hobby, I maintain a pseudo-famous vintage guitar website.

5R07C, 4spd Toploader, Black Std Interior, Originally Ivy Green, Edelbrock 500cfm-4V on Perf 289 Intake,
Hurst Super Shifter, Baer SS4 Disc Brakes (4-piston, Aluminum, USA Made),
New Front Susp. w/Shelby Drop, New Steering, Drake Export Brace / 1" Sway Bar / Monte Carlo Bar, Mallory Unilite Distributor
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 PM

Sick,sick sick, NO I'm just kidding.I collect lionel trains,couple old juke boxes,5 cent coke machine,old Koken barber chair,few old metal signs and some neons.1948 Brunswick pool table,old 45 and 78 records.Man I must be sick.I might need to check into the Henry Ford clinic.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:26 PM

Jason, my parents had an Electolux very similar to yours w/ the sliders. Don't recall what happened to it last summer when we emptied the house. Man, did it suck. Dean

'66 Sprint 200 deluxe interior hardtop ( not a coupe ), owned since '84 as first car
'66 factory GT A code 4 speed ( now T5 ) fastback

Last edited by 66sprint200; 10-27-2009 at 11:29 PM.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 PM

Holy cow, seing that powder blue 1972 1205 just brought back a FLOOD of childhood memories. I remember my mom having that vacuum so vividly as I sit here typing this, WOW! Think I'll have to bust out some old childhood photos now to complete the night.

Restoration put on hold until the wife and I find our new house.
(EDIT) The house is here and move in day is right around the corner!

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:36 PM

Sometimes I think I collect hobbies.

In the past I have had many aquariums, raced remote control cars competitively (in the early 90s), home theater equipment, built and upgraded many computers, dabbled in home improvements, and of coarse I have worked on cars pretty much my whole life. The Mustang and my computers are the ones that I have stuck with although I am getting the urge to pull my 110 gallon aquarium out of storage and set it up again..

1965 Mustang Coupe
5.0/4v, T-5z 5 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock
Web Site
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_H_237 View Post
Since we have a few neat off topic threads going I decided to add one more...............and you folks may commit me to the ward for this one.

Some of you may know I've been into model trains since I was little and currently have a large "L" shaped 9' x 13' HO layout in the basement plus have alot of O, N and a few pieces of G scale. Well I have another 'hobby' too that I really don't mention. I collect and restore vintage Electrolux vacuum cleaners, plus collect the attachments and sales brochures associated with them. I even have a few mini ones that are piggy banks!

I have 2 of them "in service" that I use but the others even though they have been restored to fully functional status are "display only". Here's some pics,

Model S from 1956, in service.

Model 1205 Deluxe from 1972, in service

Some of the hoses and attachments I have. I'm not quite sure where everything is as I have it squirreled away wherever I found space!

Hoses (the 2 blue hoses are what you would call "NOS" in the Mustang world. Aren't easy to find in that condition. The 2 vacs that I have in service are running replacement hoses. The brown hose in the pic is cloth and for the Model XXX from 1939 in the first and second pics. It's the vac that has skiis/rails instead of wheels.

Some attachments. Again, the blue vintage ones aren't easy to find in new condition. I just collect them, they aren't in use.

Yes, I may be "wierd".........but look on the bright side, I'll get 3 meals a day and a nice place to sleep on the mental ward!
Wow, that is really...cool! Not kidding.

I inherited a really awesome old vacuum cleaner at my work when I bought the practice. It looks like it was born about the same time as me, or it may be older, I don't know. But it truly will suck the chrome off a bumper and I love that old thing. I'll post pictures of it tomorrow, LOL.

--Bubba
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Just some guy

Garage
For some reason I'm drawn to collecting all the available reprints of George Herriman's "Krazy Kat" comic strip series. Not sure why, I've never been much into comics really.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 03:18 AM

not really unique or unusual(well maybe in certain parts of the country ) i like to collect and shoot guns currently i dont have anything really rare other than a 1851 Colt Navy made around 1864 also have a confederate civil war sword thats been passed down.. ive got a 22 pump rifle my grandmother learned to shoot with

then i have some newer guns that i CCW/ open carry with heres a few including the navy

Last edited by rmodel65; 10-28-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page