2000 stang won't start - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Confused 2000 stang won't start

my sons GF has a 2000 mustang and shes been unemployed for ever and the car just sits, they didn't go out and run it once a month just to keep things good etheir! well she finally got a job and needs the car, they went out to start it and it fired up and they let it run for 10 min.....turned it off and went on with their day! next day no worky? they put in a gal of gas and still no start,battery got low so they replaced the battery! turns over strong but not start ? anything on this year to check ?? its a 00 V6 auto.... thanks
jgstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgstang View Post
my sons GF has a 2000 mustang and shes been unemployed for ever and the car just sits, they didn't go out and run it once a month just to keep things good etheir! well she finally got a job and needs the car, they went out to start it and it fired up and they let it run for 10 min.....turned it off and went on with their day! next day no worky? they put in a gal of gas and still no start,battery got low so they replaced the battery! turns over strong but not start ? anything on this year to check ?? its a 00 V6 auto.... thanks
So many things.....

Does it have enough gas to cover the fuel pump pickup? One gallon might not do it.

Check under the hood for wiring damage from mice. My mom's car has been damaged many times from mice.

John
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
John_Del is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgstang View Post
Two things to verify (assuming we don't have any netruel safety switch issues).
First do you have spark at plugs.
Second, get a pressure gauge to verify you have fuel at fuel rail on engine. I believe it's around 30psi.
Also somewhat common is the "crank position" sensor gone bad. That generates a pulse to fire fuel injectors.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

I've run into almost the same thing on a Dodge. Sat for a very long time then was cranked. Ran fine but wasn't really driven or any fresh fuel added. Next day no start.
In that case it turned out the electric fuel was gunked up from sitting so long. After getting warm a bit then it seized up. Conjecture really, but I managed to disassemble the pump and clean it up to fix the car.
The first thing to do to see if something like that happened is to check for fuel pressure.
Another victim died overnight from what appeared to be the same thing, but wasn't. Car ran and drove and didn't start the next day. Turned out it was parked on an ant pile. For some reason fire ants decided to bed down inside the fuel pump relay. Cleaned out the bodies and the car started.
Could be all sorts of things. Check the simple stuff first. Good luck.

Last edited by GypsyR; 01-29-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Senior moment
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

is the fuel pump primeing?
superthornbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

good ideas thanks....you know i'll never understand that when you have a car that will start right up and run good,smooth and quite and let it run for 10 min or so and you turn it off, it doesn't quit on you and then it won't start and run again.....these never cars are a pain! but thanks guys..
jgstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Things necessary for an engine to start:

1) fuel/ pressure
2) healthy spark
3) compression
4) clear exhaust
5) correctly timed engine

1st step see if you hear the fuel pump come on when the key is turned on, If it does not sometimes you can kick the fuel tank to get it to work (this is for fuel injected cars with fuel pump in the tank btw) If that gets it working you will need a new pump

If it works great, if nothing makes noise, on some cars you can disconnect the intake hose and spray carb cleaner into the hose, this will act as a subsitute for gasoline. If the car fires you have a fuel delivery problem (pump/filter) you should check for power back to the pump before replacing.

If you have fuel, proceed to begin checking for a good healthy spark. if you have no spark work from the plug wires back.

since your car was recently a running car with no problems until it was parked I believe you have either a fuel or spark problem, I would concentrate on these two area first, my guess is its a fuel problem
DRAGPAK428 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Keep us posted on what you find so we may all learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.