Tap & die vs thread chasers - your experience? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tap & die vs thread chasers - your experience?

Was watching an episode of Gearz the other night and Stacey had a short bit on the difference of a tap and die set vs. thread chasers. I thought at first, what, another hard sell for a sponsor. But I thought about it and remembered a few occasions where I would use a regular die on a bolt to clean it up and ended up with a nut that was a little loose.

Tips from the Toolbox | Official Website of Stacey David and Gearz TV

Apparently typical tap and die sets are for new holes. The tools in such sets can slightly undercut the original threads and you have less thread surface in bearing which can invite stripping or galling. So I'm about to spring for a set of chasers. I found a deal on some individual sets online since I already have a regular set of tap and dies.

What's your experience with these? Maybe this is common knowledge in the industry and I am late to the party once again.
miketyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have both now too. I've had a nice set of T&D's for years, but just recently sprung for a set of Snap-On chasers. Under $100 and well worth having.

But to be honest, at work I use the T&D's to clean up damaged threads all the time.
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had heard there is a difference too.

I have an inexpensive tap & die set. I do things the hard way and use that set when I chase threads or tapped holes. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yup, I have a MAC set that I have had for 20+ years that I purchased when I was working on airplanes. I have a thread file and rotary wire brush I can use on bolts and studs. I came across this metric set on eBay and with over 75 sold, I figured it was a good product and worth a gamble.

METRIC THREAD CHASER RETHREADING TAP SET M6 - M12 USA - eBay (item 140417472546 end time Nov-29-10 14:39:47 PST)

Although this seller only had this metric set, they arrived in a package with the manufactureres info. I found them online with SAE coarse and fine thread for $10-15 a set. They even have them for left handed threads.

Sets of Rethreading Dies & Taps on Jaw Mfg. Co.

I plan to buy one coarse and one fine for doing internal threads. Will let you know how these work.

Last edited by miketyler; 12-03-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was in cutting tools for a lot of years; retired now; (1) There is a "class" of threads for taps and also dies. The "class" referes to the "fit", how close of tolerance do you want. (2) Probably most of all the taps & dies you buy at Home Depot or Sears, etc will not even have a "class" shown on the die or tap. To most everyone at home doing a hole once in awhile it doesen't matter how close the tolerance is. Machinist and mostly on the production line it does matter. Most people just use a tap or die to "chase" the threads. If you want a really good tap & or die go to a tool distributer that sells to the industry, and I'm not talking about Harbor Freight!
AMR66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Agreed - you know there are a few things I wont buy from Harbor Freight and tap and die sets are one of them. Add to the list drill bits and anything that would require preimum grade or hardened tool steel. Forunately this company is in the US and they clim their tools are US made as well. Hopefully they will work well enough to deserve a spot in my tool box.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Most, but not all of the tool & die sets and drill bits you see locally in Home Depot, Sears, Harbor Freight, kinda places are made of carbon steel. If you want a GOOD set of those, you want to look for HSS; there are several grades of HSS also; if you want the BEST, look for M7 or M42. Also, Home Depot & Sears will sell a lot of M2. Don't buy that unless all you want to do is drill a hole!
AMR66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have both a Tap & Die set and a thread chaser set. Wouldn't work on old cars without a quality (non-china) set of each.
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I have both a Tap & Die set and a thread chaser set. Wouldn't work on old cars without a quality (non-china) set of each.
+1.....especially the non-china part.
66group2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

I've used taps and dies for chasing for years and more often than not the fit afterwards would be too loose. I finally broke down and bought a complete metric/standard Cornwell Tools $95 rethreader set. Ruined me. I later bought another set for home so I wouldn't have to carry them back and forth.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just read about using chasers with my ARP head bolts I just bought and installed. All I could find locally was a tap, so I went with that. Bought a $6 tap from Car Quest to clean out the rusty head bolt holes. Worked fine, but next time I'll plan ahead and order a chase to clean up things.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.