Colonoscopy Yes or No?? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Colonoscopy Yes or No??

I am 53 and have been fighting getting one since I turned 50.......my Wife had one shortly after SHE turned 50 and had no problems at all.
I am a real wuss when it comes to stuff like this and know my Grandfather lived till 93 and died of stomach cancer without a Colonoscopy.
My Dad died at 83 from complecations from Alzeihmers and Dementia and never had a Colonoscopy.
My Mom died at 83 from complecations from severe Osteoporosis, never had a Colonoscopy.
I have a Brother-In-Law that has abused his body with alcohol for almost 50 years, and smoked almost as long and is (not) fighting Kidney Cancer-Hes never had a Colonoscopy.
Comments? Thoughts?
6hypoconv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had one at 55 just before a hernia operation. Recommended by the doc that did the surgery. 60 now so I guess it's time for another, but these problems haven't been present in my family either. It was a relief when I had the first one and was all clear. I guess I need some pushing to get one again also. It is really nothing to it though. My wife refuses to have one.

65 coupe GT C4 black/red pony restoring
65 fastback A code C4 AC silver blue Driver
rdlagray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would look at it like this. If your going to continue to worry about it you stand a good chance of worrying yourself to death. If your stressing over it you increase your chances of cancer,high blood pressure,anxiety attacks,heart attacks,blood clots and so on. Go on and get it done and you'll feel relieved.What if there were a problem that could be corrected now and if you wait a few years and the docor say's if only you had had it done a few years ago we could have cured you. I'm not a doctor but have played one.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm only 24, but I would advise you to get one. I might not want to do it when I get older, but it is better to do it and catch any possible signs of trouble early on.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

The wife does these for a living, I expect one in my future before too much longer for her peace of mind.

For fun, check this out

68 Coupe 351w, Duraspark, C4, A/C, PS, PB
67 Convertible 5.0, Duraspark, AOD swap, Bench Seat, A/C, PS, PB (1/31/67 Dearborn)

http://www.heartlandlasercreations.c...s/coupesig.jpg
http://www.heartlandlasercreations.c...onvertible.jpg

'67 Convertible Project

“People forget how fast you did a job - but they remember how well you did it”. - Howard Newton
Heap64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Default Colonoscopy: Yes or No??

Rick, Just go get it done... You've got nothing to worry about... We have good medical places here in town... so goto Holmes Regional or Wuestoff Hospital.....Some places here even do it in the Doctor's office...

It can make the difference between living or dying... I've had friends and relatives die of colon cancer.

Colon cancer is one of those things that can just "appear", It is not necessarily genetic.

With the procedure..

You can be awake for it and watch it on a monitor like my father did, or they will put you under.. And when you wake up, It's over...

You really should have had it by 50....So you're already 3 years overdue...

Whatever the case, It's a piece of cake..

Don't worry about the violation! It's as easy as getting a Speeding ticket! ;o)

PS: They say that you should actually have one by 35 as an early "Baseline" for when you have one when you hit 50, so that the doctors can compare. I just hit the big "4-0", so I guess that I'm due myself.. ;o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Last edited by NEFaurora; 02-04-2011 at 08:55 PM.
NEFaurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes. John--Las Vegas
juan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooponies View Post
I'm not a doctor but have played one.
What---when you were six! LOL
How is this helping put him at ease?

I'll need one in a couple of years....
I've heard the day before prep is the hardest part...you need to stay near a toilet, holding a roll of paper. Probably helps to be wearing a Depends.

"Watch it on a monitor"....uh-I don't think so, numb me up, and put on the 3 Stooges!

I don't think I'd want to be fully-out, and that vulnerable....
I'd feel uneasy if (when I awoke) all the guys in the room were now looking at me and grinning! ...or worse WINKING! AAHHHHH

Edit: Yes...get one!

Last edited by mjb1032; 02-04-2011 at 09:07 PM.
mjb1032 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm 61, so I've had a few. Git er done! Really a minor procedure. In and out in a couple of hours. Only part that is a little unpleasant is drinking the stuff the afternoon before for the "clean out". Kind of limits how many steps away from the porcelain you can get.
My younger brother died from bladder cancer last year. Would have been treatable with a little earlier detection. I take advantage of all tests to catch something early. At the rate I'm going rebuilding the 66, I need lots of time to finish and spend some road time.
Hwyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1032 View Post
What---when you were six! LOL
How is this helping put him at ease?

I'll need one in a couple of years....
I've heard the day before prep is the hardest part...you need to stay near a toilet, holding a roll of paper. Probably helps to be wearing a Depends.

"Watch it on a monitor"....uh-I don't think so, numb me up, and put on the 3 Stooges!

I don't think I'd want to be fully-out, and that vulnerable....
I'd feel uneasy if (when I awoke) all the guys in the room were now looking at me and grinning! ...or worse WINKING! AAHHHHH

Edit: Yes...get one!
HAha! That....was...awesome...

But yes, to the OP, you know what you gotta do man. Take care of business!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Go for it !! it's not bad they will sedate you and you don't have a clue I had mine done at 50. 54 now and still going
Baldguy52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm 30 and have had 2. It is no big deal at all if you are a healthy person. I did one when I was very ill and it was miserable. Found out I have Ulcerative Colitis. Do it now while you are healthy. It's more than worth it to catch something early
scstang67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

The thing to keep in mind is that the success rate for treating colon cancer when caught early (especially in a 50 year old) is VERY high, I think in high 90 percentile, however left untreated for too long can be nasty.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jims6t6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Rick, Just go get it done... You've got nothing to worry about... We have good medical places here in town... so goto Holmes Regional or Wuestoff Hospital.....Some places here even do it in the Doctor's office...

It can make the difference between living or dying... I've had friends and relatives die of colon cancer.

Colon cancer is one of those things that can just "appear", It is not necessarily genetic.

With the procedure..

You can be awake for it and watch it on a monitor like my father did, or they will put you under.. And when you wake up, It's over...

You really should have had it by 50....So you're already 3 years overdue...

Whatever the case, It's a piece of cake..

Don't worry about the violation! It's as easy as getting a Speeding ticket! ;o)

PS: They say that you should actually have one by 35 as an early "Baseline" for when you have one when you hit 50, so that the doctors can compare. I just hit the big "4-0", so I guess that I'm due myself.. ;o)

Tony K.
+1 Yes

MCA # 35023

64 1/2 Convertible, 65 GT Coupe, 66 Coupe (one owner) Red 67 Mustang JR, Red 66 Mustang JR

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...rSport2006.jpghttp://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...mShaaron66.jpg
jims6t6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ooo bottoms up

I was 40 when I had mine. Just make sure they put you out . I know several people who were awake and watched the full procedure on the camera screen. The best part is when the procedure is done they give you full color pictures of the inside of your colon. You can get copies and hand them out as christmas cards. Oh yeah ask for the lemon lime flavored colon blow you will still probably gag. good luck it was not bad.
ORIGINAL68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.