Best paint stripper available?? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Best paint stripper available??

Subject: Best paint stripper available??

I went out looking the other day for a good paint stripper in town, and years ago I used to use "Parks" Pro-Strip. The stuff was great, I would swear by it. Well, It looks like they don't make it anymore.... (( So, I picked up a gallon of the JASCO Heavy Duty brand stripper.. It sucks... Easy-Off works better...

Anyone know of a good Brand stripper that really does the work!

Where can I buy Aircraft stripper locally??

I really don't feel like ordering this stuff through the net and pay obscene special shipping for it.. Does Napa carry something better??

Please share your experiences.... I'm really looking for a kick-*** stripper and don't feel like wasting time buying junk that will cost me $40.00 a gallon and not work..

What about KLEEN STRIP?? Anyone ever use it? I saw it at Home Depot.

HELP!

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Last edited by NEFaurora; 02-13-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 PM

Tony, I've used Kleen Strip before with varying levels of success. I was going to suggest Jasco when I read your subject line. Your comments kinda surprised me! I swear by the Jasco stuff. Never had a problem with it. As a matter of fact I have to go buy more.

I just used the last of what I have a few weeks back stripping an oil pan. I had to use three applications, but there was a reason. The pan had been painted numerous times, was still kinda greasy and it was cold. It took most of the paint off in the first application. The remainder was original paint and I was just trying to minimize labor (okay, I was being lazy!).

I stripped the factory paint, along with some spray bomb enamel from vandals (PO's grandkids!), off of the radiator support of my coupe. It all came off in one application. The weather was warm and I applied a nice thick coat. Don't let it dry out before removing it. Took it right down to bare metal first try.

John Wilson

My factory GT '66 Fastback (photo circa 1984, and I still have it!)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:36 PM

Wal-Mart carries aircraft stripper. It is the best stuff I've ever used. A buddy had a junkyard 68 Charger that had at least 5 coats of paint. We slimed it down with Aircraft and left it in the sun for 30 minutes. He then pressure washed it. It all came off. I don't suggest the pressure washing (EPA regulations), but that stuff cuts thru.
Bill

Living the dream or running it down... haven't figured out which yet.

My website and blog

67 fastback on jackstands... slowly getting a new lease on life.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM

find your local paint store, since you'll need paint and supplies anyways. they should have the aircraft stripper which has worked well for me.

i tried the aerosol version (needed to remove paint from a very small item and i ran out of the brush on). it sucked.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to O'l Yeller
Tony, I too have used the Aircraft remover with great results. Bought it at Advanced but Wal-Mart also carries it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 PM

Aircraft stripper can be purchased at Wal-Mart like others have said or places like Kragens, AutoZone and Napa...

another great alternative to chemical stripping is of course abrasive/soda blasting. Eastwood has some good product or you can always get creative and make your own! I purchased an Eastwood soda/abrasive blaster and then built my own blast cabinet for under $50 (link to the photos HERE ) or click on the picture

You can also make your own blaster which im in the process of doing now, utilizing an old propane tank and some random fittings... ill make a progress post on that later

Hope everything works out for you!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 PM

it seems like i find varying levels of the kleen strip aircraft stripper. the stuff i bought at Oreilly's is a tanish/yellow and it STINKS burns your throat and fumes up the garage and it f'in works great.
The stuff at wal-mart same can & brand name is clearer and takes a few recoats to get it off. I've also had good luck with the ACE hardware brand stripper

'67 Coupe
CPP Front kit, AJE 8.8 rear swap, 13.1" GT front brakes, 6.0 LQ4 with Fast intake, Texas Speed custom grind cam, TH400 4500 stall. Now all that's left is to put it together.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 PM

I love the aircraft stripper. Can be found just about anywhere. I was in Oreillys the other day and saw the stuff in an aerosol can. Didn't know it existed. Pretty cool. Get really thick gloves to apply.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Does the Aircraft stripper in Walmart go by any certain name??

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to O'l Yeller
Tony, this is what I bought at Wal-Mart. Home depot sells the same by Rustolium
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM

get the brush on ! aircraft stripper burns like a m.f. when it gets on your skin . autozone sells by the gallon /quart

1966 convert
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 03:56 PM

Aircraft Paint Stripper

If anyone is looking - I work at AccuChem and we sell aircraft paint stripper in bulk.

Including shipping, our prices for a 5-gallon pail is $125, for a 30-gallon drum $385, and for a 55-gallon drum $585.

I'd love to help anyone out who still needs some stripper. Let me know!

Michael
MDiab@expresschem.com
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 PM

Garage
Kleen-Strip's Aircraft Remover is sold at Ace Hardware too. As a matter of fact, if you're looking at aerosols, the Ace branded stuff worked better than Kleen Strip, IMHO.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 05:45 PM
70M

POR-STRIP Paint Remover/Stripper worked well for me. about 40 a gallon though. easily go through two on a full car. guess it depends on what your dealing with. I know this one caused no damage to my window seals/glass. (taped off but...you know)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 10:41 PM

parks pro stripper

Hey, I too, am looking for about 4-5 gallons of Parks Pro Stripper. Not for cars, but for stripping paint on the wood trim on my old brick house (getting it ready yo sell) and the same on the wood trim on the stone house I just bought. I used it on the garage, on the old house, and WOW It is a jelly like stuff, does not run or drip! Waited about 5 min. And it took off 4 of the 5 old layers of paint, like it was peanut butter!! I had tried 5 different brands and NOTHING worked like Parks did. If any one knows where I can get even a gallon or two - email me at tiger-paw@att.net Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page