Mustang FoxBody....? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mustang FoxBody....?

Well looking for a first car, trying not to spend no more then 6,000 on car and mods.
Looking to get a fox body, but don't know what year.
I know some of them didn't have AC and other minor things.
Well would this "Project" these are my plans
Buy car, fix engine and try to increase horsepower to 260-280 (possible?)
Once that is complete Suspension (advice on some good ones?)
Then redo interior maybe leather seats and redo spedo, dash, and sound system.
Then last but not least paint job.

Also this will be my daily driver and maybe once a month take it to the drag strip.

So any advice, heads up, anything to say please say so <3 thanks boys.
Mr_AH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

"Don't know what year". Since the engineering is all the same it doesn't matter. But, seems the 87's to 93's look the best. The 93 Cobra model would be the best for future value. You can find these cars on Ebay, Craigslist, local paper already with some of the mods you want.
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to VMF. $6000 total for car plus all you mentioned will require very careful money management. Otherwise sounds like a fun project.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

First EFI Mustang was 1986. All 5.0L LX/GTs had Speed Density EEC-IV processor control from 1986-1988 --with the exception of '88 California-built 5.0Ls. They were the first to come with Mass Air EEC-IV control. From 1989-1993, all 49-state Fox bodied 5.0L Mustangs came with Mass Air control.

If you don't intend to modify the engine, Speed Density will work fine. If you plan engine mods though, the Speed Density EEC-IV processor will have a hard time controlling the engine. Mass Air control, on the other hand, does not have this problem and you can make any changes [heads, cam, intake, exhaust, etc.] without EEC-IV control problems.
2003 Mach 1
1969 F-100 short bed Ranger pickup

Producer of Mk VII and SN-95 Rear Disc Brake Conversion Brackets Since 2002.
http://www.ultrastang.com

Last edited by ultrastang; 03-01-2011 at 04:01 PM.
ultrastang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

+1 on the '89-93 models. Mass is a big improvement over speed density. the forged pistons come standard in the HO to about '92/'93. look for sub-frame cracks in the box area where the control arms attach.....these are tough cars, but were mass produced, so electrical gremlins now are common....engines are good and tough to beat, even with mods and many, many hard launches....have fun....
Tom
A Custom HD RoadKing...and too many Vintage Sleds to count...
Renegade600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Corral.net is will tell you everything you would need to know about a fox body.

I have owned two and love them. I would shoot for an 89-93 lx hatch or notch. The GTs don't have an enduring look, they look very 80s. If I got a bone stock one, my order of ops would be as follows 1) subframe connectors 2) 3.55 or 3.73 gears 3) shifter 4) h-pipe/headers 5) Tmoss Ported lower intake 6) Better heads

Once you get into suspension, new bushings/ball joints (it is old!), caster camber plates, strut tower brace, koni or bilstein shocks and struts with matching springs.

For paint one the cheap, take it apart for the painter.

Just my 5c.

Chris
ChrisKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had an '80 Turbo Capri(also a fox) give to me by my dad when I sourced his '86 SVO. I like the lines better than the Mustang. The later ones are gonna eat into your budget more. For the strip, go with a coupe(it's lighter which makes it cheaper to go fast). The chassis is the same through the years. You could make a '79 look like a newer one very easily. Luckily, they are plentiful. You could go f.i. but you COULD find any '70's ford truck or wagon and take the stock 2v 460 out of it for a lot less. It won't handle like a small block but you didn't say you were auto-xing, either.
Steve
kapnk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't get an 86 GT, it has flat top pistons and special heads that make upgrades a lot more expensive.
Beau M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

so 89-93 hatch or notch?
i think i might look for a hatch because the way the trunk opens.

what kind of models were there
the
LX SVO and GT only right?

more info please and thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_AH View Post
so 89-93 hatch or notch?
i think i might look for a hatch because the way the trunk opens.

what kind of models were there
the
LX SVO and GT only right?

more info please and thanks
The SVO was a turbocharged 2.3L 4-cylinder Mustang that was produced from 1984-1986. The '89-'93 GT/LX 5.0L Mustangs would be a better choice for [body] parts availability and performance. 1993 was the first year for the SVT Cobra. There was also a '93 Cobra R, but only 107 units of it were produced [available in red body color only --chances of buying a '93 Cobra R is probably slim, though].

Improvements to the T-5 synchros and gear alloy content took place in 1990, so the '90-'93 models are better in this aspect if looking for a Fox 5.0 with a stock manual 5-spd. transmission. 1st gear ratio in 5.0L GT/LX models was 3.35:1. Overdrive ratio [5th gear] in GT/LX 5.0L is .68:1]. SVT Cobra T-5 1st gear ratio is 2.95:1. Cobra overdrive ratio [5th gear] is .62:1.

My '90 GT [with the stock '87-'90 15" 16-spoke factory wheels. I also removed the stock 'louvered' GT tailights and replaced them with LX tail lights]:

My '90 GT after I swapped the 15" wheels for factory 16" 5-spoke wheels:

All 5.0L GT Mustangs came standard with a Traction-lok differential. Traction-lok was optional on 5.0L LX models.

Only the '84-'86 Mustang SVO and '93 Cobra Rs came with 5-lugs. All other Fox-bodied Mustangs had 4-lug wheels/brakes. However, you can upgrade the 5.0L Mustang to 5-lugs by swapping on two front rotors from a Lincoln Mk VII and swapping out the 4-lug rear axles with (2) driver's side 5-lug axles/drums from the Ford Ranger pickups. --Parts pictured below:
2003 Mach 1

Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddster View Post
"Don't know what year". Since the engineering is all the same it doesn't matter. But, seems the 87's to 93's look the best. The 93 Cobra model would be the best for future value. You can find these cars on Ebay, Craigslist, local paper already with some of the mods you want.
I agree!
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member

One other note. If you care about creature comforts, the `89 is the last year of the tilt column because `90-up have airbags. If you're tall, or a big guy, it's tougher to get in and out of these cars without the tilt. `90 the speedo is upped to 140mph.

`91 was the start of the bigger pony wheels, so the front fender opening towards the front bottom of the wheel opening is clearanced more. Also, as a result the GT ground effects piece that goes there is also clearanced. However you can swap that piece or just trim the fender to go with bigger wheel/tire combos.

1966 GT Coupe - See it here>>> My 66 GT
1989 GT Convertible - More mods than my 66! Click it>>>My 89 GT
1999 Powerstroke>>>>>>Monster Truck
2002 Mercedes E430 SE
Red66GTCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Beautiful car Ultrastang! The upgrades are subtle, but nicely done. Never did care for those louvered taillights or the stock wheels. You've hit the nail on the head (like Ford SHOULD have done it!).

BTW, a lot of folks don't know (or recall), but '85 was technically the first year for EFI on a Mustang. Now, before everyone starts calling BS, read on. '86 was the first year for sequential EFI. The mid to late year '85's came with throttle body EFI if you bought an automatic. The manual tranny cars still came with the 4v (last year). With that said, they're junk! Look at something else.

I went looking for a new Mustang towards the end of the '85 model year. I wanted a 4v car with a manual tranny. All the dealers had remaining were the automatics..with throttle body EFI. I waited until the '86's came out an bought a new GT.

Mr. Ah, I'd agree with the others, look for an 89-93 5.0 LX coupe. Other than the Cobra's, they're the fastest cars right out of the box. A true sleeper car. If you want forged pistons, '92 was the last year. Mods and support are plentiful in the aftermarket for these years. As others have said, they're MAF EFI systems. Good luck with your search, they're plentiful!
My factory GT '66 Fastback (photo circa 1984, and I still have it!)
Ponyman66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm going to look for a 89
cause i'm tall
do 89 have some airbags?
i want saftey car aswell :O
LX is lighter then a GT right?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_AH View Post
I'm going to look for a 89
cause i'm tall
do 89 have some airbags?
i want saftey car aswell :O
LX is lighter then a GT right?
No. Airbags didn't get installed until 1990-up. This is when tilt steering went away for the Fox bodies. [tilt steering returned in the SN95 Mustangs, '94-up].

I had an '89 GT before I got the '90 GT. --just from a personal opinion stand-point, '87-'89 Mustang front seat head rests are big and ugly compared to '90-'93. Obviously, seats can be swapped between year models. Not only are the '87-'89 headrests big and ugly, they also limit your ability to see out from inside the car.

Also, early 1990 model GTs [like mine] don't come with arm rests on the center console. later in the '90 model year, Ford began reinstalling them. I thought I would miss the armrest when I got the '90 GT, but I discovered that I no longer banged my elbow into it during 'spirited' shifting. --Look at most any Fox Mustang console and it's likely the latch on the lid is broken, and this is the most likely reason why.

Coupes or LX hatchbacks being lighter than the GT body doesn't really mean anything unless you are racing for a living or unless you just want a slight edge as an amateur bracket racer. I suspect your plans for the Fox would be primarily for steet use, and little to possibly no use on the track. I think the coupes and LXs are ok looking but not as good looking as the GT body, or especially the Cobra's body trim, but this is just my opinion. --When it gets down to it, get what appeals to you and not someone else.

My '90 GT was my daily driver from 1998-2003, when I bought the next Mustang that has been my daily driver since bought new in '03 --my Azure Blue '03 Mach 1. As fun as the Fox GT is, the Mach 1 will out run, out stop and out handle circles around my '90 GT.

My '03 Mach 1:

The shaker scoop isn't just for looks. It actually funnels cold air to the engine. ;-)

Video link below of me running my [factory-stock] Mach 1 against a '98 Cobra on a 1000' strip in western Arkansas. At the time, my Mach had just rolled over 100,000 miles. --got a warning for running too fast with no helmet [whoops!]
2003 Mach 1

Last edited by ultrastang; 03-01-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.