AAW induced Tourettes - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default AAW induced Tourettes

Yep, you heard me. American Auto Wire induced Tourettes. I now owe my neighbors an apology for what they heard coming out of my garage yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great wiring harness. It's just very difficult for a guy my size to crawl up under a dashboard and try to contort my arms to function around all the pedals, through the opening of the dash and get the one branch that goes to the headlight switch and to the back of the car around the air vent can. Then you have to come up with some method of making the harness stay up (read: fight gravity) so it won't get caught up in the air vent controls.

I did go back and read the 19 page thread here, and it did offer one great piece of advise for me. Cut off some of the tiewraps to let the branches go into place easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

It is pretty hard to wiggle around in there. It helped to remove the seats. I condensed that thread down to eliminate the BS for CJ's website. See link below.

- 347 Stroker - 417 HP, 416 lb. ft torque
- Holley Terminator EFI (Installation Thread)
- 4 speed Toploader
- American Autowire Installation (VMF & CJPP)
66FSTBCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Funny, I was having the same problem winterizing my boat motor yesterday...

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FSTBCK View Post
It is pretty hard to wiggle around in there. It helped to remove the seats. I condensed that thread down to eliminate the BS for CJ's website. See link below.
I really appreciate your thread and all the time it took for you to do that. It really helped out. I've got the wrap on order, but I'm not going to wrap everything like you did.

Funny thing was I told my kids that this is going to be a piece of cake for me since I wire up electronics cabinets/desks for a living. HA!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
I really appreciate your thread and all the time it took for you to do that. It really helped out. I've got the wrap on order, but I'm not going to wrap everything like you did.

Funny thing was I told my kids that this is going to be a piece of cake for me since I wire up electronics cabinets/desks for a living. HA!
Haha....I have no electrical experience other than that kit and it was head scratching at times! Glad the thread helped you out.

- 347 Stroker - 417 HP, 416 lb. ft torque
- Holley Terminator EFI (Installation Thread)
- 4 speed Toploader
- American Autowire Installation (VMF & CJPP)
66FSTBCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know the feeling! If it's any consolation, I just finished a 3-week project that involved rustproofing the inside of the cowl... from the inside of the car. If you think that trying to get your hands in the dash is hard, try getting them under the dash, through the heater box, and around the top of the cowl hat

I've got a pillow constantly on hand now so I have something to lay on when I'm working underneath the dash

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
Daily driven (except when it's snowing)
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

10,051 mile road trip recently complete! See the travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
Kelly_H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can somtimes (a huge understatement) come down with a case of it as well, and it gets more interesting when something is thrown or broken.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just when I was feelin good about my upcoming AAW rewire I find this thread- I think I am gonna cheat- I have yet to install my new cowl- I am strongly entertaining thoughts of rewiring w/o the cowl in (I plan to exercise great caution in welding it in, and will use panel bond in combination with mig) Keep the pics coming-
dzahm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

I recommend following 66FSTBCK's write up he posted the link to. Take note of where he said he had to remove a few tie wraps to spread things out. I found this necessary about 1 foot from the block where the leg for the headlight switch, rear harness and accessory harness split off. Those 3 together go around the back side of the air vent can. Protect that group with either spiral wrap, snake skin or corrugated wire loom as the wires can rub or get tangled in the actuator arm of the air vent.
Also in this grouping is the dome light, or courtesy lights. It goes to the drivers door first, then across the dash to the passenger side.
AAW could have done a better job of demonstrating the routing techniques behind the dash, other than the drawing they provided.
Putting the harness in first might not be possible due to the routing around the air can, and I wouldn't do any welding around the pinch with a harness up in there. Although, it is away from it, just wouldn't take a chance on a new $600 harness.
I regret not spending enough time wrapping more before the install. Even thought about pulling it all out and starting over. Seeing how the funds are gone, I might just do that since I have more time than money these days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.