Rifle optics? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rifle optics?

I recently purchased a nice semi-auto rifle in 5.56mm that is in need of optics. It has a MIL STD 1913 (picatinny) rail at top, 25 position.

I'm looking in the neighborhood of $150-250 for some glass. I'll be shooting in the 25 - 200 yard range. I'd like some magnification and either illumination or a good duplex style crosshair, any suggestions or deals out there?
2002 Chrysler 300M Special, modified

SchnorrCS: when people find out how into these cars I am, all the sudden they have/had one just like mine, but it was purple and had a hemi, and was a Shelby.
TrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Snipe656 Send a message via MSN to Snipe656 Send a message via Yahoo to Snipe656

When I built my 10/22 rifle earlier this year I decided I wanted to put an Eotech on it but with a magnifier. I did not want to spend a bundle on the magnifier so I got to looking around and kept seeing people praising a company called Primary Arms which is mainly an online business but also local to me. So I looked and with the purchase of the Eotech they included a free magnifier, I figured it would be junk but people insisted they are not. So I took my rifle down there since also was afraid of available realstate on my rail. I was very amazed actually at how well the free magnifier worked out. I did end up going to the next better one for some increased magnification and I think maybe a little bit better mount.

Anyway, they sell optics too, inhouse brand just like the inhouse magnifiers. They do sell name brand stuff as well. I highly recommend doing some searches on them and seeing if you like what people are saying and if the units fall into your budget.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

This is what I put on top of my 10.5" upper AR15.
Bushnell Trophy 1x32 Red Dot Sight 730132P w/ Red & Green T-Dot Reticle

Seems to hold up pretty good to the 5.56 recoil so far. No magnification, but that's going to run the bill up. Check out Optics Planet. Great deals on everything.
Stay away from cheap airsoft scopes that are clones of the real deal. Even the makers of some real gear (Magpul) make airsoft knock offs of their gear. Just make sure you know what you are buying before you "pull the trigger" on a deal! Lots of eBay scams selling Magpul airsoft as the real deal.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nikon, Pro Staff

68 Fastback.
351Windsor-4V, 4sp
Harleydave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I got to looking around and kept seeing people praising a company called Primary Arms which is mainly an online business but also local to me...

Anyway, they sell optics too, inhouse brand just like the inhouse magnifiers.
I was told to look at them by my FFL. He mentioned the Primary Arms Micro Dot, which is a knockoff of the Aimpoint H1. I like it, but I think I want some magnification. Did their products seem quality? It looks generally positive from what I've read.

SchnorrCS: when people find out how into these cars I am, all the sudden they have/had one just like mine, but it was purple and had a hemi, and was a Shelby.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
This is what I put on top of my 10.5" upper AR15.
Bushnell Trophy 1x32 Red Dot Sight 730132P w/ Red & Green T-Dot Reticle

Seems to hold up pretty good to the 5.56 recoil so far. No magnification, but that's going to run the bill up. Check out Optics Planet. Great deals on everything.
Thanks, looking there now. What range are you shooting out to with this?

Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Snipe656 Send a message via MSN to Snipe656 Send a message via Yahoo to Snipe656

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I was told to look at them by my FFL. He mentioned the Primary Arms Micro Dot, which is a knockoff of the Aimpoint H1. I like it, but I think I want some magnification. Did their products seem quality? It looks generally positive from what I've read.
I just have their magnifier but it seems like a quality piece to me.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Went through Primary Arms, but got the Millet DMS 1 to 4x24 scope. Here's a review on it

Gear Review: Millet 1-4 x 24 DMS Rifle Scope BK81002 | The Truth About Guns

This is going on a new Steyr AUG A3 with an AR muzzle brake. Should have it on Wednesday of this week - just in time to take my father shooting at the range on Friday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.