Looking for new car - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for new car

Hey everyone

I recently bought a 2009 Mini cooper S. It is a fun little car, but the interior leaves a lot to be desired. There are multiple rattles that come and go, and they drive me nuts during my commute. I have hunted down as many as I can, but they just keep coming. My wife LOVES the mini, so we made a deal and she will use it as her daily driver, which means I have to find something new. My criterea is pretty loose (around 20K, decent MPG), but out of these what's your opinion?

-Lease a 2013 Mustang V6
-Lease a 2013 WRX
-Slightly used Hyundai Genesis Coupe
-Slighlty more used G37

... and the real oddball, lease a 2013 Fusion Hybrid.

Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well its all a matter of taste but ultimately depends on what you are using it for. Since you considered the Fusion Hybrid then perhaps gas mileage is a concern for you. Thought I understood the 2013 V6 gets pretty darn good mileage. If not for cost I would have picked one up but I just recently had to get a new car my self and in trying to stay under 25K I was in the Focus / Cruz / Dart Market.

Was set on the Focus pretty much being a Ford Guy but the Dart won hands down in every level that mattered to me. 2013 Dart Rallye was what I ended up with and loving it so far.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

How old are you? Do you have kids?
The Ford Edge Sport is an unbelievable car! It has the Mustang v6 in it, 305h.p. and all the technology you could want in a car. They are fast, you can get it in all wheel drive for winter, and be in the MPG area you are looking for. I have a 2005 F150, 73 Mach 1, and the Edge. The edge is a blast to drive, at least go test drive one before making your choice. It may not be for you, but I really am happy with mine !
73 Mach 1 H code (sold)
91 5.0 LX Conv. (sold)
78 (yes a 78) mustang (sold)
"In the words of Ricky Bobby" If you ain't first, your last Ha, Ha Ha
t.klapperich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I like the Ford Edge also and the Fusions ---but if i had 20K I wouldn't lease a car. Just buy something straight out. 15K will buy a nice ride with change left over. I will say i really don't know the pros and cons about leasing a car. Seems a lot of people do it though. Good luck with your find.--
Mildly built 302, 4 speed, '74 Maverick rear w/3.40 gears. 15X7'' & 15X10'' Pro-Stars, Lowered 1'' all around. Took pic. at Horsehead overlook on Skyline Drive, not far from home...... My website-- www.usedmustangparts.net

Last edited by horsehead; 11-13-2012 at 08:58 PM.
horsehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm going to stick to the cars on your list. Considering you live in WA and I LOVE my current DD (2006 Legacy Turbo) I vote:

2013 WRX.

But would strongly consider the G37 as a contender. I never buy new cars and I LOVE the exhaust note of that car!

Good luck!

1968 Coupe - Original Sprint B, J-Code Car
quik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. Just test drove a v6 mustang, didn't like it. Looks like a rental car. Subaru dealer said getting a wrx would take a while, high demand around here. I also looked at a 2010 Genesis. What a good looking car. I found one locally that has the v6 and a manual, might go check it out tomorrow.

Married, no kids
Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

The car I've been wanting is a Volkswagen GTI. I drive a Mazda 3S five door now, and love the way it drives, just needs more power. GTIs go for a little over $24 new, but you might find one used or get a good incentive. Would be a fun car to commute in and it gets great gas mileage.
jman340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Unless you want a new car every two years, leasing is a bad idea. My advice would be to decide on the car you want, then buy a Consumer Reports pricing printout for it. It's typically under $20 for the printout and it can save you a bundle! Either take the printout it to a dealer and use it to negotiate a killer price, or use a buying service, such as through USAA or a credit union. Again, use the Consumer Reports printout to compare the actual dealer cost to the buying service price.

You should be able to get a Subaru Impreza with a turbo that isn't a WRX. The WRX has a lot of extra bling you probably don't need or want anyway. The turbo Impreza should be less expensive and easier to get than a WRX.

FYI, the Ford Fusion used to be a good car. But my wife had a 2012 Fusion rental car while her Subaru was in the shop for hail damage repair. That Fusion was an absolute turd on treads. Apparently, Ford seriously cheapened the car hoping to cash in the good reputation they built on the previous Fusions. That 2012 Fusion was noisy, the whole car rattled while at stop lights, it was weak on power, the interior was cheap and generic looking. I'm sorry to say I have nothing good to say about the 2012 Fusion.

You might try CarMax for a used Infiniti G37. I rented one while on vacation several years ago and it's an amazing car. A friend of mine was shopping for a used G37 and all the dealers wanted a price very similar to a new example. He found a very nice G37 for a good price at CarMax.

Last edited by Klutch; 11-14-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

My wife bought a 2009 Mini Cooper new, it has roughly 105k on it now. Aside from replacing the rotors and pads she hasn't had an issue with it yet.

Me on the other hand I was a GM man, but I got tired of the constant replacement of parts after 100k. Since I started driving Honda's, I rarely get my hands dirty.

Take a Honda Civic SI out for a test drive if you get a chance.

Caper50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know it was not on the list, but we have 2 Foci. An 04 ZX3 and an 07 SE. Both have over 100k on the clock and have had zero problems and get 30 mpg. We've owned them since new (Z plan) and the only things I've replaced are plugs, shocks, springs and brakes in the 04.

1966 Mustang 2+2
silverblueBP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Both of my sisters bought new cars a few years back after really considering leasing. They both kept records of what they put in the cars. The one sold her honda civic after owning it for 3 yrs the other sold her vw after 4 yrs. When we sat down to figure cost of ownership of both cars it came out to be within dollars of what it would have cost to lease the cars. I was pretty shocked. They both decided on leasing there next car just so they didn't have to sell a car again. I on the other hand always buy a car atleast 3 yrs old. Most times something that needs repairs and is way under book. I drive it untill I find somthing else I like better that's way under book and then sell what I'm driving. My wife thinks this is odd.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions! The wife wants me to get something I love and will be happy with for a while. I went and looked at a Focus ST and got sticker shock bad. 35K, are you kidding Then again, a Mustang GT costs around there and I feel thats way too expensive.

I went in to look at a Scion FR-S... they didn't have any in stock, and wanted me to put down a deposit so they could order one for me to check out. Umm.. nope!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
Both of my sisters bought new cars a few years back after really considering leasing. They both kept records of what they put in the cars. The one sold her honda civic after owning it for 3 yrs the other sold her vw after 4 yrs. When we sat down to figure cost of ownership of both cars it came out to be within dollars of what it would have cost to lease the cars. I was pretty shocked. They both decided on leasing there next car just so they didn't have to sell a car again. I on the other hand always buy a car atleast 3 yrs old. Most times something that needs repairs and is way under book. I drive it untill I find somthing else I like better that's way under book and then sell what I'm driving. My wife thinks this is odd.
This really suprises me. Maybe your sisters paid too much for their cars and financed them at a high interest rate? Also, you have to pay to maintain a leased car, just like a car you own. In fact, leasing contracts now specifically require you to perform maintenance. Too many people were leasing new vehicles and performing absolutely no maintenance. They were returning them with the same oil that was the in the engine when they picked up the vehicle years earlier.

Also, leases charge significant penalties if you put too many miles on the vehicle.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
FYI, the Ford Fusion used to be a good car. But my wife had a 2012 Fusion rental car while her Subaru was in the shop for hail damage repair. That Fusion was an absolute turd on treads. Apparently, Ford seriously cheapened the car hoping to cash in the good reputation they built on the previous Fusions. That 2012 Fusion was noisy, the whole car rattled while at stop lights, it was weak on power, the interior was cheap and generic looking. I'm sorry to say I have nothing good to say about the 2012 Fusion.
Have you ever thrown a car into reverse or park on the freeway just to see what would happen? I have. Have you ever side stepped a clutch at 6000RPM to see what would happen? I have. You can bet your last penny those weren't my cars. They were rental cars. I've done that and plenty more in rental cars. If you know I've done this, how many other people do think have done the same? Would you buy a car knowing ahead of time it was a rental car?

The point is, why would you assume that because a rental car was a piece a crap that all cars of the same model were?

Sounds like you had a base model Fusion. They are supposed to be inexpensive so they are more affordable. The base 4 cylinder auto Fusion in 2012 is for all practical purposes identical to the first year base model 4 cylinder Fusion. All of them are turds. A 6 cylinder Fusion optioned out is an exceedingly better car. Fact of the matter is Fusions are one of the most reliable cars you can buy regardless of engine of any manufacturer. The batteries used in them are junk, but other than that they aren't having any real problems.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb427 View Post
Have you ever thrown a car into reverse or park on the freeway just to see what would happen? I have. Have you ever side stepped a clutch at 6000RPM to see what would happen? I have. You can bet your last penny those weren't my cars. They were rental cars. I've done that and plenty more in rental cars. If you know I've done this, how many other people do think have done the same? Would you buy a car knowing ahead of time it was a rental car?

The point is, why would you assume that because a rental car was a piece a crap that all cars of the same model were?

Sounds like you had a base model Fusion. They are supposed to be inexpensive so they are more affordable. The base 4 cylinder auto Fusion in 2012 is for all practical purposes identical to the first year base model 4 cylinder Fusion. All of them are turds. A 6 cylinder Fusion optioned out is an exceedingly better car. Fact of the matter is Fusions are one of the most reliable cars you can buy regardless of engine of any manufacturer. The batteries used in them are junk, but other than that they aren't having any real problems.
Sorry, bigb427, but I disagree with your points...

- No, I have never done those things to ANY car. I don't abuse cars; especially if they're not mine. (BTW, it's impossible to put a car into reverse or park while it's moving more than a few MPH.)

- Almost nobody does those things to a rental car. Almost everyone who drives a rental car cruises it from a hotel parking lot to whatever business meetings or events they're attending, then brings it back. Used rental cars are actually a good buy. They are well maintained and well treated. Well, unless bigb427 drove it. :-)

- The fusion my wife had was a high trimline example. When the clerk asked how we liked the car, I expressed my disappointment. He said he hears the same thing from everyone who rents a Fusion. And he said it wasn't like that until the 2012 model. Before 2012, people liked the Fusion.

- I can't speak to the reliability of the Fusion. My wife had the car only two weeks. But during that two weeks, it sucked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.