E-15 Gas - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Cool E-15 Gas

Fed gov and EPA knows what best for us. Now they're pushing (soon will mandate?) E-15 gas. We've been concerned for years that methanol (corn alcohol) damages old vehicles engine/fuel system, mainly rubber parts. Not to worry late model vehicles are fine people with old stuff can fend for themself while we eat cake.

E-15 is the new fuel that's good for us. E-15 if used in any car not specifically stated to be OK with E-15, the use of E-15 violates the new car warranty.

Love how the gov geniuses take care of us.

Slim

Removed AAA reference, could not find it altho I heard it!

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

Last edited by slim; 11-30-2012 at 03:31 PM.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Snipe656 Send a message via MSN to Snipe656 Send a message via Yahoo to Snipe656

Pumps down here for years more or less have said you probably are pumping E15. A lot of people claim if you get 93 octane though it has less or no E added to it, I have seen no proof behind this claim. The government is doing the same thing for diesel vehicles. My wifes car plainly says I think it is no more than B7 can be ran in it, this is a 2009 model year car. The pumps in the past year or so though now say we are buying up to I think it is B5.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Default Does Marvel Mystery Oil help?

I run Marvel Mystery Oil in my fuel and oil, does this help against the damage the E-15 does/will do? I know that MMO is a lubricant (as well as cleaner), so any thoughts on it mitigating the new "it's good for you" E-15?

1965 200ci I6 Hard-top,
Black & Wimbeldon-White and Awesome Car All-Over!
5F07T381000
Dogface GI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Pumps down here for years more or less have said you probably are pumping E15. A lot of people claim if you get 93 octane though it has less or no E added to it, I have seen no proof behind this claim. The government is doing the same thing for diesel vehicles. My wifes car plainly says I think it is no more than B7 can be ran in it, this is a 2009 model year car. The pumps in the past year or so though now say we are buying up to I think it is B5.
Hey! AAA (that fly by night outfit) published an article quoting each if the car makers: Mercedes, Chrysler, Fomoco etc. who said use of E-15 would violate the warranty...this is not my opinion.

IMO when the car makers give a statement it means more than just a rumor. Why would they want to go against the very organization that may bail them out (as I recall Government Motors didn't participate in the statement).

Last edited by slim; 11-30-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Snipe656 Send a message via MSN to Snipe656 Send a message via Yahoo to Snipe656

I was saying I have seen zero proof that by buying 93 octane gas that you somehow are avoiding ethanol being mixed into it. I keep seeing people claiming that is the case but not seen a single thing that proves it to be true.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface GI View Post
I run Marvel Mystery Oil in my fuel and oil, does this help against the damage the E-15 does/will do? I know that MMO is a lubricant (as well as cleaner), so any thoughts on it mitigating the new "it's good for you" E-15?

I was only commenting on the AAA article. For clarity this is not Alcoholics Anonymous. That's AA. AAA is American Automobile Association. They'll get you road service when your car breaks down from using E15LOL! He He, Ha Ha. Note my added correction. Can't corroborate my reference to AAA.

Last edited by slim; 11-30-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Correction. A congressman investigated the effect of E15 on auto engines. I must have imagined AAA was involved!

"Automaker responses overwhelmingly show that E15 will damage engines, void warraenties, and REDUCE fuel efficiency".

" The EPA is pursuing it's own political agenda at the expense of American consumers" etc.etc.

The Science, Space, and Technology Committee's Energy and Environment Subcommittee hearing...."Hitting the Ethanol Blend Wall: Examining the Science on E15.

Highlights from manufacturers: Chrysler, Ford, Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Nissan, Volkswagen, Volvo, BMW, Hyundai and Kia were attached. My note: Notice no comment from GovernmentMotors.

Last edited by slim; 11-30-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

http://pure-gas.org
'84 GT-350 5.0, 5-speed
'91 LX Convertible 5.0, 5-speed
The_Dude is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Somebody has money invested in corn.......

Alcohol from corn belongs in glass bottles, not fuel tanks.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Hey guys, deep breath!

We in Calif have been dealing with this for decades befor anyone else.....in 1974 we got the cat converters, and unleaded gas was the new thing....eventually reducing the lead content to under 2cc's per gallon, Phase 1, which was implemented in 1991, eliminated lead from gasoline and set regulations for deposit control additives and reid vapor pressure (RVP). Phase 2 CaRFG (CaRFG2) set specifications for sulfur, aromatics, oxygen, benzene, T50, T90, Olefins, and RVP and established a Predictive Model. Phase 3 CaRFG (CaRFG3) eliminated methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether from California gasoline.
In summary, their is no additive to protect your rubber components....if you use conventional rubber hoses for fuel you either have to replace them every 5 years or replace them with EFI spec'd hose....it will handle anything you run through it. Second item, carb accel pumps...they typically have to be replaced with alcohol type units....it's really no big deal...sometimes as with all blended fuels, a little adjustment of the carb & timing is required...but that is it.....really a no big deal!

Last edited by beechkid; 11-30-2012 at 07:50 PM.
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

C'mon Gents. We ALL know that a bunch of moronic bureaucrats know EVERYTHING. John--Las Vegas
juan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

By coincidence Government Motors goes along with it.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I was saying I have seen zero proof that by buying 93 octane gas that you somehow are avoiding ethanol being mixed into it. I keep seeing people claiming that is the case but not seen a single thing that proves it to be true.
Are you sure? Because a lot of the pumps here SAY right on it "0% Ethanol in 93 Octane".

However, barring that.. Our 87 grade has 10% ethanol and has for years and years.. I've never noticed any detrimental effects from it (in new-ish 90's, 2000's cars.. Never have gotten to drive my mustang, but it's pretty much an early 90's, so who knows).

In summary.. Don't panic!
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
Are you sure? Because a lot of the pumps here SAY right on it "0% Ethanol in 93 Octane".

However, barring that.. Our 87 grade has 10% ethanol and has for years and years.. I've never noticed any detrimental effects from it (in new-ish 90's, 2000's cars.. Never have gotten to drive my mustang, but it's pretty much an early 90's, so who knows).

In summary.. Don't panic!
Well different country too.

What is frustrating is when it is not clearly labeled. Some 93 here has it, some doesn't and some pumps aren't labeled.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechkid View Post
.....really a no big deal!
for much of the country, the a gov't meddling in our day to day affairs of what we choose to produce and consume is sort of a big deal. the real problem behind pollution is population density and neglected corporate oversight. solving either of these issues is not financially beneficial to our beloved politicians.

'66 coupe
'05 GTO Sold!
'12 Truck
jonfor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.