Hand Tools , from whom ? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
LSG

Tongue Hand Tools , from whom ?

Guys, okay, this is getting old. I'm making my 5th trip to the Sears outlet to return tools that I purchased online. The website does not say where the tools are manufactured, and the fellow at their call center claims all of the Craftsman line is made in US of A. Either he is a liar, or just misinformed. His english was terrible, don't know where their call center is, but it certainly wasn't US or Can. Anyways, I was thinking i'd get my son some tools for Hanukkah presents, but Sears and Craftsman.com don't have much anymore. If I wanted Chinese I'd buy from harbor freight. can I still purchase US or Can made hand tools ? From whom ? More expensive is okay, China and Taiwan are not. LSG
LSG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Snap on is the best you can buy.
Mikegh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

In no particular order--ebay, flea market and garage sales. John--Las Vegas
juan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Enjoy your $1000 wrench.
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
LSG

Tongue tools

Mike where do you get snapons ? When I used to work at the dealership, I just got them from the guy in the truck, he came around every other week. I'm not there anymore. LSG
Old 12-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, SnapOn tools are nice. But they're obscenely overpriced. And certainly not a good choice for a kid.

Armstrong tools are 100% made in the USA. But they're kinda hard to find and they're not cheap. Although, they're not as expensive as SnapOn.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG View Post
Mike where do you get snapons ? When I used to work at the dealership, I just got them from the guy in the truck, he came around every other week. I'm not there anymore. LSG
You can buy SnapOn tools from their web site. But be aware, I'm pretty sure their "Blue Point" stuff is made in Taiwan.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I tried to exchange a standard Craftsman Made In USA 1/2 ratchet and they are now made in China. I didn't make the exchange. I'll look for a rebuilt kit because it just needs a new gear.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

Depends on what you are after. Craftsman has a "professional" line now that are much better ratchets. I used to turn in Craftsman regular ratchets for warranty replacement three at a time. I can and do wear out anybody's ratchets hough. Snap-On lasts longer but not a single one I have hasn't been replaced or rebuilt.
I like Craftsman chrome sockets because they are particularly thin walled. Under duress they tend to crack down the side though. So reserve them for particularly tight spots.
If you don't work somewhere where the Snap-On/MAC/Matco/Cornwell tool truck comes by regularly good tools can be hard to find. I've found Northern Tool sockets to be OK for the money. The chrome ones are a tad soft but you have to use them a LOT to see the effects. At one Lowe's had Kobalt wrenches that were as good as anybody's and then they went to some Taiwan stuff. That said I have most of the set of Taiwan "Vanquard" wrenched that have had a rough and busy life since 1987. I have some Craftsman wrenches that predate them by 15 years and still do their jobs. Speaking of Lowe's, they sell Gearwrenches individually which i nice. Gearwrenches are good but their screwdrivers and such other tools with their name stuck on them aren't. Avoid using Gearwrenches to "break loose" stuck bolts and they last a good while. Avoid the versions (Gearwrenchs or any other brand) that have a "switch" to change wrenching direction. Get the ones that you just flip over. I find the straight Gearwrenches about useless but the ones that swivel on one end have saved the day many times.
Hard to beat Channellock for pliers for price/performance. Since Irwin bougt Vice-Grip they aren't what they used to be but I still think they are better than anything else out there. The Chinese copies are instant scrap metal.
Some cheaper tools aren't all that bad. I have some Harbor Freight stuff that works fine. The trick is to weed to goodies from the crap. Don't be afraid to bother a fellow shopper when in a a tool store. They might have already bought what you are looking at.
I'm sure plenty of folks here have input on various kinds of tools if you will be more specific about what you are having problems with.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

Snap-On's "Blue Point" branding just means not actual USA made Snap-on. I bought a Blue Point air ratchet that was made in Japan and serves very well. I bought their Blue-Point rebranded Mastercool tube flaring set and am very happy with it. Some is Taiwan made but mostly stuff they want to provide to their customers but don't actually make. Gotta watch the warranty on the Blue Point stuff though.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Snap-On, Mac, S-K... K-D makes some decent quality less expensive specialty tools.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

My two cents... as somebody who works out of a toolbag most of the time Sockets... anyone who will replace broken ones lifetime... I use Sears and I am happy with the Craftsman line of sockets... a socket is a socket is a socket..... I personally have a set of their 3/8 air sockets which I use for everything and they are awesome and have been through hell.....

Wrenches get lifetime replacement.... I have all kinds, Craftsman, Snap-On, MAC, Matco, and even one or two of the old (10+ years) Home Depot line...The MAC stuff is light and seems cheap compared to the others, they seem to be a different Alloy.... Big difference is the highline wrenches are much easier on your hands when pushing and pulling on the all day....either ways... not much difference...

For the ratchets... I am partial to Snap on and Matco... 3/8 size is most important to me... Get a decent long handle 3/8 and then an extra short handle 3/8 with the most teeth on the gear you can and you will be very happy... As for 1/2... I have a 24" Matco with a positionable head thats awesome, standard 1/2 is one from Home Depot that is over then years old and it works great when I use, and that is not often.....

If you can find a good Snap on or Matco guy they will undersell the website...
67stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

I get them from the snap on truck, comes to the shop every week, you can probably get his number from your local shops mechanic and meet up with him along his route. Or snap on.com
Mikegh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Mr. Klutch is correct...Armstrong.
http://www.armstrongtools.com/conten...CcSd8SHQ%3d%3d

http://www.armstrongtools.com/locatedistributors.aspx

Hopefully, Sears will join Apple and move product production where it belongs...at least for the tools.

I had trouble getting the second link to work...?
I believe Graingers is an Armstrong Tool dist.

Last edited by mjb1032; 12-07-2012 at 06:48 AM.
mjb1032 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
LSG

Crazy hand tools

guys, went and picked up some masterforce at menard's. You have to pick and choose, but I was able to get US of a stuff. Kinda disappointing about Craftsman and Sears LSG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.