New Age Gas Stations - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tongue New Age Gas Stations

do i really need to stand there and watch TV while im filling up.
The digital price signs changing as you pull in.
add on a car wash for $4.99
any size coffee for $1 i mean whos going to get a small when you can get a 24ozer for a buck
Duncan dougnuts built right in
waiting for the imfamous ZZ top looking dude in a rat pick up truck with rifle racks inthe rear window comming back with 4 hot dogs. he places them on roof and whoofs them down while hes trying to fillup with a 1/2 hand.

or havin to wait for a mother with 6 kids to get out of a mini van to come back with slurpees then read the isntruction on how to work the pump.

what happned to the old grease pit gas stations where you can just fill up and leave

I mean this all must reflect in the price per gallon. someone is paying for all this non sense

god forbid if you need mech assitance, the a clerks dont know anything about cars
at least i dont have to stop at one and ask for directions any more..... thank god for GPS.

wtf lol.

1993 GT 11,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof. Untouched except for rubber and battery, Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid and new car smell.

Last edited by Blues Power; 12-13-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Blues Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Snipe656 Send a message via MSN to Snipe656 Send a message via Yahoo to Snipe656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Power View Post

I mean this all must reflect in the price per gallon. someone is paying for all this non sense
Back when our family still owned a gas station the goal was to sell the fuel as cheap as possible in order to hopefully attract people to go there and ultimately pay too much money for the items within the store. From the few people I still know in this line of work that general goal still seems to be true.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Gas just to get you there...everything else makes the money. My grandparents owned a Mom and Pop gas station on the road to nowhere, garage, salvage yard. He said it wouldn't be worth it if he didn't get his beer at wholesale.

Just a memory now...
Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
or havin to wait for a mother with 6 kids to get out of a mini van to come back with slurpees then read the isntruction on how to work the pump.
Wawa is a popular chain in my area. Along with all of the advertising for their food, over the radio they play music, but (at least at one station so far) it is constantly being interrupted by a message similar to this:

"Are you having trouble remembering which side of the car your gas tank is on? (Insert another stupid question that I cannot remember)? If so, you may be suffering from "gas pump angst," otherwise known as, "pooped at the pump."

The message goes on to tell you to remember not to leave your car unattended, don't get in and out of the car while refueling and a few other stupid things. For people who actually know how to pull into a gas station and fill up their vehicle, it is an extremely annoying and insulting message. If it starts to happen at my local Wawa, I will not be refueling there.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gas stations make no money selling fuel. In fact, since almost everybody now uses a card to buy gas, which collects a fee, they sometimes even lose money selling fuel.

Gas stations make all their money selling the stuff inside the store.

In Oregon and New Jersey, it's against the law to pump your own gas. That really cheeses me off. I'm perfectly capable of pumping my own gas, yet I'm forced to pay extra to let some "professional", who may or may not know how to pump gas, fill my tank.

The fancy gas stations usually have plenty of pumps. This is a good thing so I don't have to wait for the minivan full of kids to go to the bathroom and buy sodas.

Lately, I've been buying my gas at Costco. It seems to have less ethanol. (No stations in my area sell 100% gasoline.)

Last edited by Klutch; 12-13-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Beach Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
Gas stations make no money selling fuel. In fact, since almost everybody now uses a card to buy gas, which collects a fee, they sometimes even lose money selling fuel.

Gas stations make all their money selling the stuff inside the store.

In Oregon and New Jersey, it's against the law to pump your own gas. That really cheeses me off. I'm perfectly capable of pumping my own gas, yet I'm forced to pay extra to let some "professional", who may or may not know how to pump gas, fill my tank.

The fancy gas stations usually have plenty of pumps. This is a good thing so I don't have to wait for the minivan full of kids to go to the bathroom and buy sodas.

Lately, I've been buying my gas at Costco. It seems to have less ethanol. (No stations in my area sell 100% gasoline.)
I love the fact I do NOT have to pump my own gas, & we do not pay more for some attendent to pump it. I used to hate it when I lived in upstate NY having to pump gas in the middle of the winter.
2000 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (My DD) w/01 lights & grille.
2008 Escape (Wifes DD)
MCA#-04549. MCA member for 35 years.
"The times I've been mistaken, its impossible to say". - The Moody Blues.
My 69 Coupe build album
http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff499/NJMike69/

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...h_100_0339.jpg
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

I used to rent 3 - 4 cars a week in different cities when I traveled all the time. I never could remember what side the gas tank fill was on.

I sent a letter to Ford and GM saying they should put a little arrow on the gas gage to show which side of the car the gas cap is on.

Check your car, the arrow is now on the gas gage.

Did not get one red cent for that one.

Richardson TX

1964.5 D code vert (The 'Vert)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
Mustangerbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Trouble

I hate when I pull in to fuel my diesel truck and gas-powered cars are at the only island with diesel pumps and the rest of the islands are unoccupied.

Or, when I'm towing my trailer and some idiot in a car is using the RV pump.

68sig4.jpg

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified
Moby, 1971 Mach I - Occasional Driver
MiniMe, 1966 Mustang Jr. - For Fun

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified
Laurie_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I usually pay with cash and hate waiting in a long line for the people buying 14 lottery tickets (while their hungry looking kid in torn clothes stands by), cartons of cigarettes, beer, and whatever else you pay twice the grocery store price for. I wish they would have a 'gas only' line. I know, pay with a card at the pump, but I'm a dinosaur and just don't like paying with a card (I'd rather wait in line and complain to my wife when I come back out to the car).
Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie_S View Post
I hate when I pull in to fuel my diesel truck and gas-powered cars are at the only island with diesel pumps and the rest of the islands are unoccupied.

Or, when I'm towing my trailer and some idiot in a car is using the RV pump.
I was about to say the same thing. I hate pulling into stations that have a dozen gas pumps and only one diesel pump, only to find some douchebag putting gas in their car at the diesel pump while the other pumps sit unused. To top it off, that person is usually in the store taking their sweet time buying lottery tickets, scratching them, cashing them in, and repeating the process. Then when they finally come out, it takes them 5 minutes to update Facebook to tell the world they are at the gas station before they finally move out of the way.
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdd2caa40.jpg
Greg'66 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

I hate it when people with poor (very poor) taste in loud thumping music leave the radio on while they pump gas. Please be selfish and don't share so much!
sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

You guys are missing an important point of driving Mustangs into these "New Age" gas stations - our filler tubes are located right between the taillights, thus we can use either side of the gas islands! I think it's funny when I see folks stacking up at the gas pumps because the filler tube is located on the driver's side of the majority of their vehicles, thus restricting access to the pumps (if you can't pull around). Ever notice that?
LeeFred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Think about this a while....We all Remember the Gulf oil spill, Right?? After the clean up,which took months, the big oil companies(BP,Exxon, Shell) NET, Yes I said NET profits up until March, was still...You ready for this?..Was still $64 BILLION, yes BILLION, not Million...AND THAT WAS ONLY THROUGH MARCH,only 1/4 way through the year.

While 95% of American people live from paycheck to paycheck, and if only 1 paycheck was missed, it would take months for the average family to get caught back up.

While we wonder if its going to be a loaf of bread or gas in the car,,,,These oil companies are getting filthy Rich off us....Think about this for a while.

And the government wonders why our economy is on the brink of collapse.....Well, we are spending all our hard earned cash dumping it into our gas tanks,,,No Brainer....Just had to get that off my chest...Thanks

MCA Member 28 years.
69-70 MCA Concours Gold Card Judge.
MCA Certified Judge 64.5-66 & 67-68.
MCA Certified Judge OD/DD.

Last edited by 69mach351W; 12-14-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: addition
69mach351W is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFred View Post
You guys are missing an important point of driving Mustangs into these "New Age" gas stations - our filler tubes are located right between the taillights, thus we can use either side of the gas islands! I think it's funny when I see folks stacking up at the gas pumps because the filler tube is located on the driver's side of the majority of their vehicles, thus restricting access to the pumps (if you can't pull around). Ever notice that?
A center filler tube does simplify things. This is also why I like the fact that the filler tube on my '99 is on the passenger side. I usually fill up on the base that I'm sationed at. You can only pull into the gas pumps from one direction. There is almost always a line for people with driver's side fillers. I always just drive right by them into the empty lanes and fill up. It's beautiful! I'm surprised that I've never seen somebody go through in reverse so that they can bypass the lines.
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdd2caa40.jpg
Greg'66 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mymachone

Well , I hate it when I have to even buy gas !
1967 Triumph 650 Tigar Twin Cycle
2007 Mustang
As Red Green Would Say. If It Ain't Broke , your not trying hard enough
Never give up the ship!
Munisingbaycrouisers annual car show 3rd wk end of Sept
Check out our facebook pg.

My Web Site
www.myclassicvehicals.webs.com
mymachone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.