The War on Privacy - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I never give them my phone number or business.
sanch052 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to graywolf_14

When i worked at autozone i was told it was for warranty which makes sense. I mean you try to return something without a reciept no prob they look u up, oriely no receipt no return...
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

always give my number-phone at my house all ringers are turned off-nothing is soo important that it cant wait until im ready to review ans mach messages. sure makes for peaceful surroundings-more people should try it. wes
mustang656man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #19 (permalink)

Toys r us pulled this on me with a cash sale , I can understand having to supply phone #with c/c purchase but cash ? i raised my voice a little and the manger came over and showed him how to override the phone number
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

You guys are overreacting.

Out of every business I've ever given my phone number too, NONE have ever called me.

Most of the time it's not a marketing scheme. Most of the chain stores record the transaction under your phone number as a convenience for the customer! If you lose your receipt, no problem, I'll look it up with your phone number.

That's how CSK was before O'Reillys bought them. Now at O'Reillys you are required to have a receipt, so in that case I don't see the sense in giving them your phone number, but I have and it doesn't hurt.

-Matt
Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Snipe656 Send a message via MSN to Snipe656 Send a message via Yahoo to Snipe656

I'd just tell them I have no phone .... the kid might just have to get his manager to figure out how to sell something to someone who lacks a phone.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonshindig View Post
Not only do I not want any sales calls, I don't want my personal information out there. Do you think for a minute that companies like that don't sell their databases of personal info they've obtained? It's big money to sell it to telemarketers and others.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

privacy , don't even get me started on Facebook.twitter....
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

That's funny, because my local Advance never asks for mine. They know who I am though so maybe they just look up my name in the DB? I wouldn't mind giving it to them because they wouldn't call or anything.

Spliffy, never thought about that. Could be that that's why they've always got certain things on hand when other Advance / Autozones don't. I know they always keep stuff like gaskets,the specific oil I use, oil filters, etc. for Jane in stock when other places don't - pretty awesome, especially because I tend to screw things up the first time around when I do them

Calamity Jane 1966 Fastback
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

Three years of work for three days of perfection.
Kelly_H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback

Quote:

Out of every business I've ever given my phone number too, NONE have ever called me.

Most of the time it's not a marketing scheme. Most of the chain stores record the transaction under your phone number as a convenience for the customer! If you lose your receipt, no problem, I'll look it up with your phone number.

That's how CSK was before O'Reillys bought them. Now at O'Reillys you are required to have a receipt, so in that case I don't see the sense in giving them your phone number, but I have and it doesn't hurt.

-Matt

I work at O'Reilly . If a customer does not want to give out a phone # it is not a big deal to complete the transaction w/o a phone # . I would just use area code-111-1111 . The biggest advantage of a phone # is someone out of the area who has a warranty issue. The phone # enables the purchase information be easily found . There is no telemarketing from the phone #. If you do not want to give out a phone # or name , no problem if you keep your receipts .

Michael S.

http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/34...600x600Q85.jpg
c6fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:

Yup! (On your first sentence as well)

I use a phone number at one of my frequent stores, since it's a lot easier than digging through months worth of receipts for something.
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #27 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Snipe656 Send a message via MSN to Snipe656 Send a message via Yahoo to Snipe656

I actually always give my cell number and knock on wood I never have had a telemarketer call it.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mymachone

I am never ask for my phone # at the local N.A.P.A store. , Nor at any of there stores. I don't buy many things that need a warranty from anyone else. All that being said , it doesn't really matter if they want your phone # bad enough they can get it. There really is noting about you they can get any more. Have you ever done and internet search on your name or families name ? try it some time. You'll be shocked by what you pull up.
1967 Triumph 650 Tigar Twin Cycle
2007 Mustang
As Red Green Would Say. If It Ain't Broke , your not trying hard enough
Never give up the ship!

My Web Site
www.myclassicvehicals.webs.com
mymachone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #29 (permalink)

I do give my number. Stranger though is that they only want the primary seven digits, not the area code. Seems to me if they were going to use it to telemarket, they'd need the area code as well.

It's handy though if I go to Autozone for, say brake parts for one of my cars. Since they're guaranteed for life, I always ask for the pads I bought previously, so I can return them even up. I give them the phone number and model of car, and they tell me what I used last time.

John
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
John_Del is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #30 (permalink)

I work for Advance part time, they only use the number to look up what you bought for returns/cores.

We have fake numbers for paraniod people ro those "without" a phone.

They only ask for the basic 7 becuase we don't plan on actually calling, just an easy number to look you up by. We assume 90% of customer base is local and WV only has one area code...

Its amazing how some people come in and have to give like 7 different numbers to find which one they gave out when they bought whatever they are returning...

Also +1 on the crappy paper, its the ink I think tho. God Forbid your reciept gets wet, it'll disappear quick.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.