auto or manual? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default auto or manual?

I ordered my new Stang tonight:

2014 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Exterior: Sterling Gray
Interior: Saddle
Options:
Automatic Transmission
Equipment Group 400A
Reverse Sensing System and Security Package
GT Accessory Package 4 - Spoiler
Comfort Package
Driver and Passenger Heated Seats
Electronics Package

Here’s my angst. Historically, I have ALWAYS purchased manual transmission cars. This ’14 is going to be more or less a daily driver once it arrives. My daily commute is 45 miles one way, mostly highway.
I got in a fight (and lost) with my John Deere riding mower this summer. Went sideways down a ravine, rolling end over end. I ended up with a compound fracture in my left arm with three broken ribs. I was lucky it wasn’t more serious.
I’m thinking automatic for this Mustang only because my arm is not 100% yet and I need both hands on the wheel. Over time, this will improve… Will I drive myself crazy second guessing myself and regretting that I ordered an automatic mustang….

pa-fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think you made the right choice...45 miles one way is a long commute, especially when you run into traffic.

I used to drive 25 miles one way to work, and when I moved from my manual 1996 Mustang to an automatic, it made a world of difference.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Occasional drive....manual
Daily drive......automatic.

I'm hoping to sell the wife's 73 and pick up a new one. It will be a daily driver, so I'm going for an auto. Besides with 400+ HP I don't think you'll miss much with the auto.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...stangs/sig.png
71mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

when we bought our 1st later model mustang i was in my mid to later 50s and we took it on a trip of 1200 miles round trip and for the 6 years before that i was driving a 81 olds 88 as our trip car. the mustang was not half as comfortable and the sport steering harder to put up with so to this day we dont drive late model mustangs for more than a daily romp. wes
mustang656man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
I won a special award

I love rowing gears in a performance car. But in the last couple of years I've driven both manual and automatic transmission new GT Mustangs. I was actually very impressed with the automatic. I think you'll be happy.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

I'd just about get a manual for the rarity value. Manuals are are a dying option. Seems like for 2014 they aren't even an available option anymore on light duty domestic pickups. Fewer and fewer pony cars are getting manuals too. People just don't want them like they used to.
That said, when I drive my F150 in traffic I'm glad it's an automatic. The F150 it replaced was a 5 speed that was just an annoying pain. So I get it. My '67 has a 5 speed, for fun. It should never see rush hour traffic. Should circumstances change, I would have no problem putting an AOD in it.
If you're pretty sure driving a manual would cause you discomfort then forget it, you wouldn't enjoy your car.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was in the same situation. 45 minute commute each way, looking at a "performance" car (mini cooper S) and debating manual or auto. I went auto and don't regret it at all. People look at me sideways when I tell them I got a automatic mini.... but when I want to row my own, I have an obnoxious 68 Mustang built just for that purpose
Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I crippled my left arm in a motorcycle accident 12 years ago. I drove a beater automatic for a year or two, but once I got some use back, I went back to a manual. If I were buying a new car that I planned on keeping for a long time, it'd have to be a manual.
'70 Boss 302
'84 GT-350 5.0, 5-speed
'91 LX Convertible 5.0, 5-speed
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Myopic

I drive 63 miles each way to work....I love my manual.
1968 Fastback 351w T5 - Brute
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
dodgestang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

I was a die hard manual transmission guy until I purchased my 4Runner as a daily driver 2 years ago. A lot of very smart engineers put lots and lots and lots of time into making automatic transmissions, and there is a reason for that. Most people find them to be a better driving experience. I like my automatic. It lets me go on autopilot for the commute.
Do I sometimes want to play loud music, rip on a manual, and drive like a maniac? Sure. But that is what a weekend car is for!
va1966stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

I drove a 4spd s10 for 2 years, and my Benz is a 4 spd, and I drove that for 3yrs. Both for 80 miles round trip and I never regretted having a stick. It was mostly highway, but daily commuter traffic.

I vote for a manual.

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs146...._5450270_n.jpg
Slatewear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Do whatever makes you happy. IMO on a daily driver automatic is probably better if you just want an easy drive. But if an automatic is going to bore you, go ahead and get the manual and just take it easy until you're all healed up.

When I bought Jane with the intentions of making her a daily driver I just told people "If I'm going to make my life that much more difficult, I might as well go all the way and make it as difficult (and fun) as possible!" My choice never bothers me except when stopped on hills with some SUV crammed up the tailpipes. But then, of course, I have an excuse to really nail it and one-wheel-peel outta there An automatic might get better mileage and be an easier drive, but couldn't imagine not having the option to go flying through the gears with my foot on the floor if I wanted.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
Daily driven (except when it's snowing)
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

10,051 mile road trip recently complete! See the travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
Kelly_H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to graywolf_14

I personaly hate slowmatics, my wrangler is one because it was suppose to be my wifes and she is manualy challenged. I drove an hr one way for work and stayed in fifth gear for most of it. I lived in a large city driving stop and go traffic and loved it because I had to shift. I got pretty good at shifting with my left hand when had to wear a sling.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have a 5 spd in my '65 and it was my only car for years. When my dad passed he wanted me to have his almost new '88 Chevy pu. It's an automatic. Now the Mustang stays home in cold or bad weather. The automatic is nice for my short 17 mile commute. When I want raw HP and a manual, the Mustang is clean and ready. I think you'll like the auto. Hey shift manually if you want. Let us know how you like it?
victor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.