What about this? worth it? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What about this? worth it?

I have a Pontiac Big block v8 455. My question is that is it worth restoring? Its been sitting in a building for about 20 years. It hasnt been rained on or anything. Just real greasy and a little rust but nothing like rusted out or anything. Got most of the pieces. All the pistons but the arm thing on them are frozen to the side. Like they dont move. All the pieces are off the block and they are by themselves. Sorry no pics i tried but the stupid computer wont let me said some security reason. Is it worth trying to make it run again?? If so what do i need to do to it? How much will it cost to do everything?
myresto68mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myresto68mustang View Post
I have a Pontiac Big block v8 455. My question is that is it worth restoring? Its been sitting in a building for about 20 years. It hasnt been rained on or anything. Just real greasy and a little rust but nothing like rusted out or anything. Got most of the pieces. All the pistons but the arm thing on them are frozen to the side. Like they dont move. All the pieces are off the block and they are by themselves. Sorry no pics i tried but the stupid computer wont let me said some security reason. Is it worth trying to make it run again?? If so what do i need to do to it? How much will it cost to do everything?
The 455's were/are very powerfull engines! Modello (spelling) probably has one of the best performance books on them ever written.....big blocks in general are more expensive ingeneral to rebuild than small blocks, and pontiacs are even more expensive mostly due to their once popularity and the reduced number of aftermarket companies that support these engines specifically....but that's not to say this is not a good engine to rebuild......If we assume for sake of argument that everything needs to be re-machined & replaced (worst case scenario- new pistons, new valves, new cam/crank), you would be looking at $5k to $8k.
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

To the question of could it be rebuilt, I would say, sure. To the question of should it be rebuilt, I would say, probably not.

The Pontiac 455 really wasn't a great engine for performance. Most Pontiac guys want a 400 or they REALLY want a 428. (Yes, Pontiac made a 428, but they put it into only a few cars like the Catalina.)

The vast majority of 455 engines were just luxury powerplants; big, but not necessarily fast. (There's something about them that Pontiac guys don't like. Perhaps they're not very durable?)

While you certainly could build a 455 Pontiac into a bruising, stump-pulling torque monster, I'm not sure it would be worth it. Older Pontiac 400s are pretty plentiful. And stroker kits are readily available for those engines.

If you have a Pontiac in which you want to install this particular engine, I think you'd be better off finding something else. Unless your 455 is an HO example that came out of a Trans Am, it's likely not worth a costly rebuild.

FYI, as I understand it, when it comes to older, Pontiac V8 engines, there is no "Big Block/Small Block". They're all the same block. But there are Big Journal and Little Journal examples.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

four words... yes and stroker kit.

1967 fiberglass fastback, all aluminum 427 supercharged and racing coilovers all around. "Still waiting to find a sequential manual transmission under 20k "

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...67-600x337.jpg
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
four words... yes and stroker kit.
The bottom end of a 455 isn't very stout. (Unless it's a Super Duty.) I would think stroking a 455 would be asking for trouble. I do know for sure a Pontiac stroker kit is pretty pricey. (A friend of mine has a '68 GTO.)

One nice thing about building a Pontiac is it will make building a Ford seem downright inexpensive.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

I own two 67 Pontiacs with 400's and yes, they are expensive to do anything with. You should check with the guys at "PY Forums."
Mustmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

The big questions are.... a) is it a SD? b) after the bores are cleaned up will it be .030 or less? c) what casting# are the heads that go with it?

By far, the best 455 of the bunch was the Buick version.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

455 is a stump puller. i agree that if the bores are clean and standard it's worth building or selling. unless SD or HO, the bottom end on 455 is kind of weak compared to similar cubes made by chevy, ford, or mopar. however, with stock rods and crank, it still has +450hp potential. forged BB chevy rods are a cheap upgrade with special pistons.

Pontiac power is all the heads and believe it or not, there are some excellent factory heads readily available and cheap. basically any screw-in rocker arm stud head is good and 98% of those came with big valves (2.11" intake).

good news is all pontiac (326-455) sheet metal, brackets, intakes, distributors, bell-housings, starters, and front accessories are 99% interchangeable. race parts get $$$$$, but it's not unheard of to make 400hp and huge torque using all factory parts except headers.

'66 coupe
'05 GTO Sold!
'12 Truck
jonfor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.