Low life jacked my C.C. - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Default Low life jacked my C.C.

Just happened to check my credit card statement this evening, I discovered some low life jacked my info to purchase something from facebook. They did the standard small charge first to see if it would work then the big purchase on the same day. My C.C. company is doing an investigation.

Caper50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

It seems that credit card companies are pretty good about handling these claims, but luckily, I wouldn't know first hand. I've had my credit car for about 8 years and for a while I never made huge purchases and never really used my card outside the local area. If I had any extra protection against fraud or theft, I think they would have called me to tell me that all of the sudden, my credit card showed up on the other side of the country in California, and made various purchases back across the country and ended up back home...and then a few weeks later it showed up in Portland and made various trips down the west coast to LA. I guess they figured out that I was finally taking a vacation. I was curious to see if I would get a courtesy call about these extravagant purchases of fast food and gas...and a shopping trip to Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills , but I never did. I guess you need to pay extra for that.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know how they know what is real- but I think the computer looks at patterns. I too have bought large ticket stuff way away from home- no issues. Even weird stuff, but then someone jacked my card- bought a 100$ worth of stuff in Tx- they called within the hour. And guess where the purchase was made- WALMART. I would have thought they'd question 1000$ purchases, and not even think about a piddly wallyworld buy.
dzahm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I've had my card used fraudulently a few times, I think the common link is hotels in my case. 3 separate times it's happened to me within weeks of staying at a hotel. Also shouldn't buying something over the internet from a reputable company safer to do on-line as opposed to doing it over the phone? That way someone isn't walking around with our credit card number and 3 digit security number on the back of the card. I haven't seen too many on-line retailers that will sell you something without that 3 digit code so how are these people doing it? I went to one mall merchant at Christmas, paid for my purchase with debit, the transaction completed and she took my card before I had a change to grab it and started entering my card number into the computer. I snapped at her and asked what the heck she was doing and she told me it's store policy, wtf. I won't shop there anymore.

Caper50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Credit Card companies use trends and indicators to identify fraud. I'm sure the details are proprietary. But I do know two things that send up a red flag are a tank of gas and expensive sneakers.

For some reason, when a thief steals a credit card, he often buys a tank of gas and a pair of Air Jordans almost immediately. Another tip-off is booking an expensive package in Las Vegas departing the following day. When this happens, you can expect to get a call from your CC company. "Did you just book a suite at the Bellagio and a first class airline ticket for tomorrow?"

My son made a purchase in Australia a few weeks ago and he got a notice from his CC company.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

For times like this is why I love Amex. I have 2 of their cards, a high end one and a regular month to month balance card and when there is a shady charge they immediately lock my car and call me on my cell. Also having been a member for 15+ years I can call to dispute a charge and get it dropped 100% of the time. Great CS.

A few years ago I was traveling to Florida when my plane got redirected because 3 hurricanes were on their way. I had to get where I was going so when I got off the plane I called the Amex personal concierge service, told them my problem and within 5 minutes I had a rental car, hotel room for the night, changed my existing hotel room reservation and flight. Times like that is why I dont mind spending the couple hundred a year for the card.
SR_65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Had my Mastercard used fraudulently once - it was for something like $5000 total - somebody from NYC all the way to Atlanta - they called me and reimbursed everything over the phone - cancelled the card and issued one with 15 mins.
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Had my Mastercard used fraudulently once - it was for something like $5000 total - somebody from NYC all the way to Atlanta - they called me and reimbursed everything over the phone - cancelled the card and issued one with 15 mins.
Same was done to me but it was a resort in Nebraska ($1300.00) and another small charge. I live in Jersey and never knew there were resorts in Nebraska. CC company asked me a few questions and took care of the situation. Now they say Debit cards are even more susceptible to fraud?

JR

Transplanting '89 5.0, T-5, Maverick 8" rear, '71 front power disc brakes, homemade sub-frame connectors, '68 steering column, '70 Cyclone GT rims, F/R sway bars, plus more.

1980 Jeep Honcho w/351 Cleveland
6663A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6663A View Post
Now they say Debit cards are even more susceptible to fraud?
Most banks wont refund fraudulent charges or let you dispute charges on your debit card. For them once the money is out its gone. Well most banks I deal with. This happened to me with TD, NYCB and HCSB. Now I just throw it on my Amex and pay it off at the end of the month.
SR_65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Couple weeks ago somebody got my Discover card and did 2 $400 wire transfers.
Discover called me and brought it to my attention. They said they would take care of it and never heard anything else about it.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_65 View Post
Most banks wont refund fraudulent charges or let you dispute charges on your debit card. For them once the money is out its gone. Well most banks I deal with.

Not mine. My number (and about 500 other card numbers) got swiped from the automated ticket machine at a nearby theater. My bank called me and asked if I'd been in South Carolina making big purchases at Sam's Club and Walmart. When I told them no. All I had to do was send a statement saying I hadn't been there, or even out of state when the charges happened. Then the money was put back in.

But then again I belong to a credit union
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.