Friday craigslist rant - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Friday craigslist rant

This is why I call it 'clownslist.' So I put my Mounty up as a project for 7 bills. Immediately get the flood of vulture responses offering $350. Not no, but hell no! I told one guy (the first one) I'd pull the motor/tranny/rear and drag the rest off to LKQ before taking a bath like that. Didn't bother answering any of the rest. They kept pouring in. Many many vultures out there. Sold it, same day and for asking price. I didn't even have to be that patient. Same story when I sold the wife's 96 Monte. Asked $1800 and a flood of $500 offers came in. Makes you want to respond with a virus. And I have a nice collection of those too.
[/rant]
Someone takes his pants off and the rafters knock
Rock is dead they say
Long Live Rock!
67 conv. 289 4spd(mine), 67 coupe 289 Export(swmbo's)

ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yep, I'm getting offers from multiple oceanographers that don't have access to a phone but can send an email. Or there's the guy buying it for his dad. Hearing impaired so he doesn't use a phone.
Restoration Blog -- Code Name: Daisy
Code Name: Daisy Photobucket
Often the path to forgiveness is to realize that the other person is an imbecile.
Titus_RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Meh, nothing to get worked up about. When I get stupidly low offers I just respond with a single "No". At the end of the day it's a free service. If you want to receive a higher quality of shopper you can always use any one of the many paid for listings.
TXMAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, it's a tough choice. Either to just say "no" or let them drive an hour or two and tell them when they get there that "Mom" told you not to sell it....sorry.
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe you have seen my saga of trying to sell my '63 Falcon on Craigslist. I have had the worst possible trade offers. The latest was a redneck El Camino. I didn't even respond to that one.

Do You Want To Trade Your '63 Ford Falcon?
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

You just have to laugh at them , I sold a laptop on C/L while back a steal at $350 got a flood of $100 without even looking at it , my favorite one was a guy asking me to donate it to him as he's a famous disabled artist??WTF? . got my asking price eventually just had to weed thru the losers .
Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have 4 things listed on CL right now....and am having the same experience. The worst is when people set up a time with you to come pick it up, and never show.

I hate selling chit

68 Convertable I6 Original Owner Survivor that Mom bought brand new. Currently undergoing a light restoration.

99 Cobra Vert
09 Pontiac G8
35Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
I won a special award

I see nothing wrong just because someone makes a low offer. You don't have to take it. I bought my Mustang for about 1/3rd the asking price on C/L. But I agree, it is annoying all the people that make lowball offers without even looking at your item or want to make a trade when you say "no trades".
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, I always list my price as "Firm". It won't eliminate low-ballers, but I think it does signifantly reduce them. I also put, "Local buyers only". That gets rid of the people who supposedly can't call or meet you.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Comes with the territory and its free!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

I always ask for a small deposit. I now have a kid that wants to buy a Datsun FI intake and is asking what it fits on after sending a deposit. I don't know if he has a FI engine because last week he wanted the turbo L28 that I had for sale. M-O-R-O-N. Moron texted me and he's changed his mind and wants his deposit back. Why am I not surprised?
Restoration Blog -- Code Name: Daisy
Code Name: Daisy Photobucket
Often the path to forgiveness is to realize that the other person is an imbecile.

Last edited by Titus_RacerX; 02-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Titus_RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Every time I post a car for sale I get flooded with emails that all say, "is the item still for sale," or is IT still for sale.

I knew these were scam emails, but I didn't know the how/why of them until I posted the question on another forum.

The scam emails are to get your email address as CL don't reply directly to your email address.

I also put, "NO TRADES" in huge letters everywhere on my ads.

Also, on a local ad paper I have a S&W 4516-1 semi auto pistol for sale in stainless. I have four hi cap mags along with two factory mags, also with a stronger recoil spring, and buffer.

The price I put in the ad is $590 FIRM. I'll bet you guys can see where this is going.

Anyway a guy calls and asks to look at the pistol. We agree on a time and place, and the conversation ends with, "well, that sounds like what I'm looking for, I guess you want cash".

So, he calls to tell me he's on the way, meanwhile I get this guy on another forum who has been hee hawing around on buying a part that I had for sale, finally paying for it.

I'm then scrambling to get his stuff boxed up, and ready to ship so I can make the most of the gas for the trip.

I hurry to meet the guy who wants the pistol {which is almost like new}. We meet, he looks it over, and I'm expecting to start counting the money when he goes, "I want it, but I can't pay $590 for it.

I told him that face to face weapon sales may be going away soon, and that he won't find it anywhere in town for less than $600-650,{I had already checked the going price in most of the gun shops, and pawn stores in two nearby cities} and that is with one factory mag, and a background check.

He said the same thing again, and added, "I guess I shoulda ask your bottom dollar yesterday". AAAAAARRRRRGGGGH.

At least I made the most of the trip, and got the parts mailed..........
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

OP: two questions:

1. Do you ever attempt to haggle when buying?
2. Do you ever set your price with room to haggle when you sell?

If the answer to both of these is "no" then you're definitely a minority in the C-list world. If you answered "yes", then don't be surprised when people expect to be able to do the same thing you do.

Have you ever made an unreasonably low offer in the hopes that someone would take it? I have. I've also received these unreasonably low offers. No need to be offended by them, just politely say, "no, thank you." It's that easy.

To Mtrain's situation, yes, the guy's not dealing on the up-and-up, since you put "FIRM" in your ad. He should have at least asked if you'd consider less, but unfortunately too many folks are taught that flashing cash will get the buyer to take less. Too often it works.
Husky44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

How about a free item? I had a love seat /couch that was
up in the "Free" section of C/L. 30+ people responded.
I grabbed the 1st person.... they were going to come by
to pick up that evening. I get a call that afternoon- can't
make it but will come by tomorrow. I said, "Are you sure
you can get it?" And of course the answer was yes.
DID THEY COME BY? HELL NO.
This is a nice piece too. Not junk.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
GT289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
How about a free item? I had a love seat /couch that was
up in the "Free" section of C/L. 30+ people responded.
I grabbed the 1st person.... they were going to come by
to pick up that evening. I get a call that afternoon- can't
make it but will come by tomorrow. I said, "Are you sure
you can get it?" And of course the answer was yes.
DID THEY COME BY? HELL NO.
This is a nice piece too. Not junk.
HAHA...thats a good one! They just want to pick it up on their convenience. Surprised they didn't ask you to either droop it off at their house or store it til the weather gets nicer.People can be so ignorant.

I had a griffey Jr autographed bat for sale on craigslist. I put down $350 cash only no trades. First e-mail was Want to trade it for an autographed jersey of (some other ball player)..i didnt recognize thye name but I replied no trades..i want cash. Next email was from a guy selling computers. he says I'll trade you some computers or monitors. I told him I'm not in the need of a computer or monitor. I said cash only! Needless to say I never sold it cause everyone just wants to trade stuff.Guess il hang on to it til he goes in hall and try to resell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.