Flooded basement - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Default Flooded basement

Kinda bummed out these last couple of days. I got a call from my wife informing me our basement flooded. I'm over 3000 miles from home so she has to deal with it by herself, I've never felt so helpless. Over $10,000 in damages, but at least insurance covers half. We had several freeze and thaw days followed by a snow storm and then heavy rain the following day. Insurance adjuster says my weeping tile drain pipe likely froze where it comes back out of the ground. Lived there for over 20 years and never had any water trouble, we refinished the entire lower level 8 years ago. At this point I,m going to put a submersible pump in as we'll as an extra precaution this time. Looks like my Mustang project will have to take a back seat for a while.

Caper50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Myopic

Why would the insurance only cover half?
1968 Fastback 351w T5 - Brute
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
dodgestang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
Kinda bummed out these last couple of days. I got a call from my wife informing me our basement flooded. I'm over 3000 miles from home so she has to deal with it by herself, I've never felt so helpless. Over $10,000 in damages, but at least insurance covers half. We had several freeze and thaw days followed by a snow storm and then heavy rain the following day. Insurance adjuster says my weeping tile drain pipe likely froze where it comes back out of the ground. Lived there for over 20 years and never had any water trouble, we refinished the entire lower level 8 years ago. At this point I,m going to put a submersible pump in as we'll as an extra precaution this time. Looks like my Mustang project will have to take a back seat for a while.
So sorry to hear. Is anyone there to help your wife out?
2007 Premium MustangCoupe (V6).. Please don't shun me

Done
Replace Full floor pan
Replace Firewall
Replace Full cowl
Replace Radiator support
Shelby Drop done
Front disc brakes on

Up next:

4 wheel drum to disc conversion, rebuild front suspension/steering, taillight panel, trunk floor,302 and AOD upgrade, wiring harnesses back in, and hopefully only patch panels on the quarters

E=MChuck Norris
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just remember to stay calm and that no one got hurt.

During Hurricane Sandy I watched as water merged from canals surrounding my house into a single stream that flowed into my basement and then a few feet into my first floor. I watched from my staircase with my 2 dogs as water just kept pouring in and feeling very helpless.

Afterwards there is no one to really get mad at and just be patient as the insurance companies will take forever to pay up, it will take time to clean up and time to get things back to normal.

I would second looking into a submersible pump and then longer term possibly a put in a french drain with sump pump. Something similar to this:

I live near the water and with a basement that is close to the water table, whenever it rains hard for a few days I will get water in it and this setup takes care of it. Not floods though. Need a bigger pump.
SR_65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

One of these years I need to install a sump pump myself,
(when I have some "extra money").
After the 15 year old water heater, and generator....

I hope this doesn't come across as a dumb a$$ question...
but what is the large pipe for that is entering from the top in the above picture?
The one entering from the side is for water entering.
The one attached to the pump with the check valve is obviously the output.
Vent?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

In Nova Scotia the maximum claim on outside water damage is $5000 but if a water system let go inside the house it is 100% coverage. My daughters boyfriend and his friend who is a certified plumber are installing a sump pump today. My shift will be completed in 5 days so I'll be flying back home.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1032 View Post
One of these years I need to install a sump pump myself,
(when I have some "extra money").
After the 15 year old water heater, and generator....

I hope this doesn't come across as a dumb a$$ question...
but what is the large pipe for that is entering from the top in the above picture?
The one entering from the side is for water entering.
The one attached to the pump with the check valve is obviously the output.
Vent?
Vent? Some people will also run the condensate drain from their heating/cooling systems to the sump pit as well.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
In Nova Scotia the maximum claim on outside water damage is $5000 but if a water system let go inside the house it is 100% coverage. My daughters boyfriend and his friend who is a certified plumber are installing a sump pump today. My shift will be completed in 5 days so I'll be flying back home.
You should call that feller from DIY, Holmes on Homes. That rascal will get er done...
2007 Premium MustangCoupe (V6).. Please don't shun me

Done
Replace Full floor pan
Replace Firewall
Replace Full cowl
Replace Radiator support
Shelby Drop done
Front disc brakes on

Up next:

4 wheel drum to disc conversion, rebuild front suspension/steering, taillight panel, trunk floor,302 and AOD upgrade, wiring harnesses back in, and hopefully only patch panels on the quarters

E=MChuck Norris
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
You should call that feller from DIY, Holmes on Homes. That rascal will get er done...
This is the first time I laughed since I got the call, thank you. I feel better, my wife told me our daughters boyfriend and his plumber friend did a very neat job with the pump install. That should take care of future heavy rainfalls.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Got the new sub floor down and wall board is up. Starting to apply the tape and mud tomorrow, with any luck might get the walls primed and begin painting on Friday. Started looking at generators today. I checked out some Honda models, beautiful machines and well built but $$$. Also looking at Briggs & Stratton.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well, when it comes to generators, you get what you pay for. If it's in your budget, you can't go wrong with the Honda machines.

One of the ships I served on for 2 years had a Honda Generator that sat in our aft steering void for at least 3 years. Why 3 years? Well, during transfer season, myself, another JO and our 2 chiefs were all transfering at the same time. The chiefs had been there for 3 years. When we pulled the generator out going over inventory, the chiefs pointed to each other saying it was the other ones. Long story short, this Honda generator sat for 3 years, no maintenance, never run, with stale gas. We pulled it up on deck and it fired up on the 2nd pull, on the stale gas.

So when I bought a generator for my house, I went Honda. Yeah it was pricey, but when you have 20" of snow and 50MPH winds last thing you want to fight with is your generator. I start my Honda up at least once a month, and without fail it fires up on the 1st pull everytime for 8 years. And I still have the original gas in there from 8 years ago (10 gallon tank and have barely needed it since the first time I used it for half a day).

I have a 1HP sump in my basement now. Love it. I ended up building a set of shelves around it so it wouldn't get bumped and it works great. My basement can't be finished due to the fact that the ceilings are only 6.5' at the most with very low spots around all the plumbing. But it makes for a great work shop.

Current
200 CI, T5, Comp Cam 260H ,Dual Exhaust Headers, OZ 250/2V head, Holley 390 4V, DS2 Ignition w/ MSD Digital 6+, GT 5 lug disc brakes, 8" rear end, V-8 Steering

Current Project:
5.0 EFI with Megasquirt, BBK SSI intake Manifold, Trickflow TW170 AL Heads, TF Stage 1 Cam...and a quiet as hell exhaust. Want it to sound like an I6...

"It's not how fast you go...but how go you fast"
CobraSix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Do it right the first time. Make it a Honda!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post

Do it right the first time. Make it a Honda!
Is his name Honda...
Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I met another celeb builder at Toronto airport this summer, Jim Caruk he's one cool cat. While I was out in the garage last night workin...er I mean drinkin, I noticed my lights started to flicker. Checked both breaker panels, everything was tight. Checked out the street side of my stack and wouldn't ya know it, the utility supplied connectors were just about burned off. Would have led to a power outage for sure.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member

My daughter's boyfriend and I put on 50 kgs of drywall compound, I hate sanding that crap although the attachment for the shop vac does cut down on most of the dust. It was a long week but we finally primed the wall board. Paint tomorrow and hopefully start the flooring on Monday. A cold Carlsberg is a welcome friend tonight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.