I may get banned - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I may get banned ! < sounds like one of my post !! : wave:
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

There is no way ANY political group could ever take our mustangs or prevent us from driving them. You couldn't ban ours without also banning Pebble Beach, Concourse De' Elegance and all those other high brow shows. Have any of you ever seen Ralph Lauren's car collection? It was a feature article in Vanity Fair magazine last year. It is unbelievable. There are more collections of that level. To ban vintage cars would instantly devalue billions of dollars worth of property. People at that level have an immense amount of leverage.

How could they selectively ban classic autos without also banning ATV, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, recreational boats, private yachts, and private aircraft?
Bucket Lister is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think its like Jimmy Carter's idea back in the day to conserve fuel. He proposed banning weekend boating. What a joke. My daily commute is about 45 miles round trip into downtown Dallas. I might see 1-2 classic cars a week (if that)on the road. Doubtful anyone would go after such a small sector that would yield such a small return.
miketyler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket Lister View Post
There is no way ANY political group could ever take our mustangs or prevent us from driving them. You couldn't ban ours without also banning Pebble Beach, Concourse De' Elegance and all those other high brow shows. Have any of you ever seen Ralph Lauren's car collection? It was a feature article in Vanity Fair magazine last year. It is unbelievable. There are more collections of that level. To ban vintage cars would instantly devalue billions of dollars worth of property. People at that level have an immense amount of leverage.

How could they selectively ban classic autos without also banning ATV, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, recreational boats, private yachts, and private aircraft?
You left out antique tractors---
horsehead is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds View Post
It seems to me that California has led the charge (since the 60's at the very least) in pollution controls of all types. If there currently is a debate/discussion about limiting or banning older cars I would suspect it would be happening there. I certainly haven't heard a peep about this topic here in PA.
Like I said, I don't see it. California's bringing back retro plates from the 60's and 70's. I haven't smogged any of my classics since I've been in the hobby for 22 years. That being said, my newer cars certainly burn more efficiently and have more horsepower then our old cars. I don't necessarily like new laws, but a few of them have made things better. You might want to check out the smog situation in Tijuana, Mexico if you don't think cleaner burning veh's is a good idea.

Anyway, feel free to poke fun at California's ponytail freaks from Frisco and Hollywood. It's all fair game. After all, not much coming out of PA these days except maybe a cheese steak sandwich.
Mustmatt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Slim is right and it's been introduced/slammed down several times in different states. Google it. Texas, believe it or not, was one of the states to introduce banning classics except for recreational use like shows, etc. California (no surprise) tried to push legislation through also limiting pre 1976 vehicles to "special use only". Caligreenidiotsfornia is now, as we speak, trying to push a bill that mandates vehicles 20 years and older be modified to meet current EPA regs or be deemed salvage status by title if the owner won't bring the car to spec. Doubt it'll pass either but the groundwork is there. Many states are trying to implement either a luxury tax, or total "daily usage" ban on our hobby. Been going on for years. No offense to CA but they just seem to lead in ridiculous efforts.......

Last edited by rickgto; 02-17-2013 at 08:54 PM.
rickgto is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Myopic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Get vintage cars off the road was a posting by me. It's a real issue folks. Our very hobby, fanatical pastime approaching love is in danger. Is it possible to discuss what may well eliminate what we love without being banned?

Slim
Here is a perfect example of how to do it:
Historic tagged vehicles in Md. Beware

Notice it brings up the issue, provides background on the issue, and provides clear steps on how to help prevent the issue.

You will notice members chiming in that they have taken an action to help.

You will notice no members talking about the politics behind the actions, mention who might be in the whitehouse at the time, the motives behind why someone might want to do it (good or bad, for or opposed), guns, gun bans, or killing people.

Slim your thread got locked because some of our members haven't figured out how to not be political so it was not because of your thread per say. I will say the threat of killing off old cars has been around for a long time now on and off, but without specific discussion to a new or impending action of the sort you are leaving the discussion wide open for it to go south and have comments like this (and I left the name because I don't want him to feel like I am singling him out, because I am not, but once a post like that shows up, then from nearly a decade of moderating this board I can tell you it is headed south):

Quote:
Confiscation of publicly held automobiles? I'd like to see someone try it. It's not unlike gun control. No one is going to come to my personal residence and get my legally obtained guns. If they do, I'll make sure that they get the business end first and as much spent ammunition that I can muster before I'm taken out.
As for this idea:

Quote:
Why not make a political, no holds barred discussion forum like on Stang fix?
We tried that before and we ended up with too many mangina's. This board is dedicated to the discussion of classic mustangs. While at time politics intersect with classic cars for the most part we are able to divorce everything else and focus solely on classic mustang to allow this place to be a sanctuary and retreat from the rest of the crap we have to deal with day in and day out.
1968 Fastback 351w T5 - Brute
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY

Last edited by dodgestang; 02-17-2013 at 09:05 PM.
dodgestang is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #23 (permalink)

Any legislation to ban classic cars is work of idiots that have have nothing better to do. Classic cars produce a fraction of a fraction of polution of what industry produces. Get these morons working on real issues and maybe they could actually make a change that matters.

1968 Coupe - Original Sprint B, J-Code Car
quik is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

The European Union has just put forward amendments to existing legislation which raised concerns that it would negatively effect the ability of EU residents to continue to operate classic and vintage cars there. Only recent news I've heard on this topic. I've actually read the proposed legislation and am of the view that the collector car hobby will be fine over there. So no windfall of vintage Euro cars for us.

Without impugning Slim's motives specifically, posting hyperbolic fear mongering on this topic without citation of a specific legislative initiative (providing credibility to the concern) comes across as TROLLING for reaction.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2237/masergtedit.jpg

Another quality post brought to you by MaserGT from/ uit/ uut/ aus/ de Vancouver, Canada.

This post may contain up to 80% sarcasm, measured by weight not volume. Contents may have settled during posting resulting in sarcasm appearing more subtle and it may be difficult to discern. Do not adjust your monitor.

Last edited by masergt; 02-18-2013 at 01:05 AM.
masergt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Another thing that started this hysteria is the "Cash for Clunkers" program. It was voluntary and its over.
Bucket Lister is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
Supporting Member

well i dont consider my 65 mustang or 68 torino classics, hobby cars, vintage cars. they are what i like to drive. banning cars 20 yo and older would affect lots of people besides hobbyist. my dad drives a 66 mustang, a friends wife is really really fat and drives a 70 caddy, a friend drives a 68 vw to work and back, a friend drives a 74 dodge 4wd crew cab pickup to work and back, lots of farmers have pickups that are over 20 yo, etc. its time for an uprising.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #27 (permalink)

Back in the early 1940's old cars were removed from service because the value of scrap metal was significant. We see high scrap metal value today, but not enough to motivate the owner of a running car to sell it for scrap.

If any political leader called for the removal of old cars, they would have to deal with a backlash from the low income population that can't afford to drive a newer car. The difference between an old car that a low income person has to drive and a collectable but old car is hard to define for political reasons so I doubt that avenue would be taken.

The last mode of transportation that was essentially mandated out of use were the horse and buggy. It just became too difficult to drive that old buggy, keeping the road clear of manure and finding someone to stable your horse and feed it hay in the middle of NYC. Thus, horses were removed from the road.

What if we change fuel sources for cars, similar to the loss of good hay in the city? Well, we have just too many darn cars that run on the old fuel to feasibly make that change. In the early 70's when gas went from $0.35/gal approaching $1.00/gal, I thought my driving days would be over before they ever began. Not true then, not true today. We reward people for recycling, reusing and recharging. Vintage cars rank up with vintage houses as far as recycling is concerned.
sixseven is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #28 (permalink)

Evidentley you're too young to remember, or know of, Ralph Nader. He succesfully had the Corvair removed as well as having a hand in Ford discontinuing the Pinto/Bobcat because they were deemed unsafe. The government did that on his groups behalf...He also had a hand in halting GM C/K production because of what his lobby group felt was an unsafe vehicle. Never think it "can't" happen in today's world............Advertising campaigns took the place of common sense and logic a long time ago. Let me run this by you. Us poor fools (me) trapped in this God forsaken state they call Illinois just had another law passed this January. That being it's a ticketable offense if you leave a hitch in the reciever of a vehicle when your not pulling a trailer. My first reaction was "yea, one of the lawmakers left a bar and walked into a hitch" hurting his shin. I was right. He did and we will suffer for it. Sorry to be long winded but never ever ever ever think it can't or won't happen. I have 56 years of experience that says it couldn't then but can and will now if "they" see fit.
rickgto is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixseven View Post

The last mode of transportation that was essentially mandated out of use were the horse and buggy. It just became too difficult to drive that old buggy, keeping the road clear of manure and finding someone to stable your horse and feed it hay in the middle of NYC. Thus, horses were removed from the road.
uuhhhhh thats not quite accurate , the Omish still drive their horse and buggies on public roads.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #30 (permalink)

Ralph Nader did not have the Corvair "removed", GM stopped making the dang things because sales were slow. Ditto the Pinto, which stayed in production until 1980 and was replaced because it was elderly, nothing else. The gov't had nothing to do with either.

Really, this stuff isn't that hard. If you're going to get your panties in a twist over every crackpot bill that never even makes it out of committee, over every guy with an opinion you don't like who has a microphone, you're going to end up a raving looney in short order, demonstrably. Show me a specific bill, with a backer, that makes it out of committee, and I'll get excited. Like I said, I've been waiting for that one for 30+ years, so I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.