I may get banned - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Sad I may get banned

Get vintage cars off the road was a posting by me. It's a real issue folks. Our very hobby, fanatical pastime approaching love is in danger. Is it possible to discuss what may well eliminate what we love without being banned?

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

You know, Slim, I'm very aware of current events and I've heard nary a peep from anyone suggesting vintage cars should be banned from public roads. Obviously, if I did hear such a thing, I would pay close attention.

Anyone who knows anything is aware vintage cars are a miniscule fraction of vehicles on the road and contribute virtually nothing to pollution and consume virtually no resources. It's a non starter.
Klutch is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

It's been an on and off again topic for years. Though usually threads started about it are accompanied by a link to some new threatening legislation or a news article about some activity which owners of older cars may find to be a threat to their hobby.
GypsyR is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

I haven't been around here for long, but it appears to me as long as you keep partisan politics out of the discussion you're okay.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

I complained about new taxes with the new administration and the thread was deleted in .2 seconds. Maybe if I left the white house out of it, it would have stayed.

I'm not really concerned that new laws would be created to get rid of old cars. They're encouraging preservation more these days with historical plates and no smog rules, etc.
Mustmatt is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

It's just that without something substantive this thread (and the other one) come across like this:
GypsyR is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

It seems to me that California has led the charge (since the 60's at the very least) in pollution controls of all types. If there currently is a debate/discussion about limiting or banning older cars I would suspect it would be happening there. I certainly haven't heard a peep about this topic here in PA.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
It's been an on and off again topic for years. Though usually threads started about it are accompanied by a link to some new threatening legislation or a news article about some activity which owners of older cars may find to be a threat to their hobby.

i agree. this story has been around for a long time and pops up every now and then, usually by some bored politician. similar predictions include doomsday and the cubs winning the world series.

lets face it, antique cars are big business and has a pretty decent impact on our economy. old cars generate revenue for our states with more sales, more license plates and an increase in sales taxes and overall revenue. insurance men make money, more gas is sold with old cars on the road. hundreds of thousands of people are employed because of old cars in various ways. thousands of people make millions of car parts everyday. those parts are sold and generate more sales taxes, and produce an income for the sellers such as Jegs, NPD, Tire Rack, etc.

if you think about all the fine details and the huge impact that old cars have on the economy, you will realize that old cars and our hobby arent going anywhere anytime soon. i agree, the sky is not falling, again.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...-signature.jpg
big-n-italian is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Can you imagine the resources that would be brought to bare on anything or anyone that tried to in some way illegalize the use of cars like ours? Keeping these cars on the road is BIG business.

69 Mach 1 H-code 418W/TKO600/Holley Terminator EFI/RMP Front Coil-Over/TCP Manual R&P/3.70 Auburn Pro/Global West SFC-5 Leafs-Del-A-Lum/Koni's/Magnaflow 2.5 X pipe

Build pictures:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/chillininnh/

Last edited by chillininnh; 02-17-2013 at 02:04 PM.
chillininnh is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

It will never happen. Confiscation of publicly held automobiles? I'd like to see someone try it. It's not unlike gun control. No one is going to come to my personal residence and get my legally obtained guns. If they do, I'll make sure that they get the business end first and as much spent ammunition that I can muster before I'm taken out. I'm not worried about either issue. I don't waste my time.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Why not make a political, no holds barred discussion forum like on Stang fix?

I mean, they have a disclaimer that adult language, and potential strong debates may occur.
Mtrain is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm not too worried about it. Every rich guy I've met to date (bosses, etc) own at least one kick-arse classic ride if not a large collection. Guess who runs the country? Million/Billion-aires! They love classics too.

MCA #72655
aolshove is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Bull****.
I probably am one of those enviro-wackos you like to point at, and I have never, ever, heard such a thing mentioned anywhere outside of paranoid rantings by folks in the hobby, a hobby I've been part of for 35+ years. It's exactly the same as all of the "they're coming to get your guns!" paranoia. If this is a shadowy conspiracy, it's sure the slowest moving conspiracy in the history of tinfoil headgear- entire political empires have risen and fallen in less time.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

No, "they" won't come get your guns or take your cars your right.... but there are other ways to acomplish the same results. IMO the little changes that we all settle for or don't even know about will eventually make it not worth the hassle. At that point it will be our choice not to own a old car and they didn't take it... the result, no old cars on the road. Paranoia... nope, truth in action, I just got tags for my 66.... $185 for 2 years and they say I can only drive it to shows....
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

"They" say? There's no difference between registering an old car and a new car unless you decide to make one to save a few bucks- this from a guy who's been daily driving old cars for 30+ years. Who would want old cars off of the road, really? It's a miniscule target with minimal return of any kind with maximal political cost, since old guys with money (that would be guys like us) will be the ones kicking and screaming the most.

Paranoia will destroy ya. Like I said, I've been hearing this crap for nearly 30 years with not a single actual bit of signed legislation to back it up. How many years does it take before you decide that it's not going to happen? 40? 50? C'mon, you can be smarter than that.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.