1967 elcamino body damage - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1967 elcamino body damage

Hey guys I am gonna save this elcamino.... I have been searching for some input on this body damage..... ( joined Team chevelle and that was such a waste) I was hoping to get some help before I bought it but ... Ummm Ya a little late for that now.. went ahead and pulled the trigger anyway.... I realize its totaled... The title does not reflect this however.... Patch panels are scarce and spendy for this thing... I found one through CARID... its $520 plus shipping.... Thats fine... I cant seem to find a body guy that will touch it.... I had one estimate of 2 grand to replace the whole side.... MMM Ok, no time to get it done.... sounds scared to me... I got an awesome deal on this car.. It has every option box checked off short of super sport which was not a valid elco badge until 68 otherwise I am sure it would have made the cut.... I am a mechanical electrical guy and hate body work... Is this something I could tackle with some time and patience I'm not afraid to try anything and realize I always cut teeth somewhere along the way... I am not sure this is the right time? I have not even done a floor pan yet... I live on the west coast so rust isnt a huge prob over here if you keep your eyes open... Go ahead let me have it.... I will roll this thing as is but would rather have it straight....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67 ouch.jpg (5.4 KB, 59 views)
Roy Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not a body guy, but start with a bigger (mega pixel) picture. That thing is tiny.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thats the only pic I have.... I put a deposit to hold the car.... Doing my homework at the moment to make the repair... Is there a way to change the size of this image? If not I will repost once I pick it up... Trust me it wont get prettier bigger... its wasted... Body and gate only.... already have a perfect replacement gate but the side is munched.... frame is good no issues there.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

As I recall, the El Camino was a Malibu Station Wagon with the top cut off. So, if you can find a Malibu Station wagon, that might work for you.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

Aren't there a lot of aftermarket places that have patch panels for GM cars? Similar to our NPD, CJ's, etc. Seems like every TV show doing cars do a GM car.
Stan
President BAMA 2012-
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Funny you should say that because I bought a trio of these from an old timer thats calling it qiuts..... He is giving them to me basically..... One other complete runner and a parts car with a good side.... I was looking into cutting the side of my parts car... no prob there its gone.... I have no experience but it could be fun....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19671.jpg (7.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

This particular year is a bear from what I see.... It has to be a 68 up or a 64-65 to get a valid nod from parts suppliers... Unless someone knows more than I? Even the patch I found has to be modified in the tail light because its not the right panel.... I always find problem cars..... No matter, a classic is a classic and love them all.....
Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I wonder if someone at autobody101.com might have some insight for you. There are tons of body guys over there with an incredible amount of experience and contacts. It couldn't hurt to check. If they don't know of a place to get a part they will most likely be able to point you in the direction of a good body guy in your area.

'64.5 Vert, D code
Currently restoring
Always looking for the next project
DropTopStang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

As painful as that damage looks, a good body man can pull it, hammer & dolly it, and get it back in shape without cutting off the entire quarter. If the quarter panel is in otherwise ok shape, I suggest trying to save it.

If you have the time and interest, consider looking at an adult education program through the local community college in your area to see about a vocational education introductory course on automotive body and paint. It might actually be a good thing to have those skills sets as you play with these old rigs.

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA with most of the bells and whistles*
JeffTepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Agreed .... I just hate... sanding and sanding and sanding.... I like the vroom vroom part lol.... Ya if I could find a bring your own project class that would be awesome...... Thanx guys... You never dissapoint. Roy
Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

From the small pic, it looks like an easy fix with nothing more than welding a plate with a hole in it for a hook and a come along and a big tree.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member

X2 on the station wagon. See if you can find wagon parts, that's what that car's chassis is based on. If you look in the bed there is a patch panel bolted to the floor that runs from in front of the rear tires to the front of the bed. This was the rear passenger footwell from the station wagon. Rather than re-do the bed, they just put a panel over it.

1966 GT Coupe - See it here>>> My 66 GT
1989 GT Convertible - More mods than my 66! Click it>>>My 89 GT
1999 Powerstroke>>>>>>Monster Truck
2002 Mercedes E430 SE
Red66GTCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm with Jeff. Looks like a relatively easy fix to me. You just need to find a real old fashioned metal man instead of a current day panel hanger.

Mild 302
T-5
Global West arms
TCP Strut Rods
Wilwood Ft. Discs
235/45/17 ft
275/40/17 rear
Always a work in progress

63 Falcon Ragtop
New project for my honey
Hers to my His, er...Hers
restodude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanx for all the help guys.. I feel alot better already....
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

Roy, one other option might be to look up your local high school autobody program. I work with all the secondary technical programs here in southeast Michigan and there are some seriously talented teachers and students out there. I have had a few jobs done at high school shops, the teachers love the opportunity to train their kids and the price is usually VERY good. I trashed the tailgate on my truck (forgot to drop it before unhooking my 5th wheel) the school made the gate look like new and the price was 4 large pizza's to feed the shop. I had a rusty quarter and rocker fixed on my DD and it cost me $90.

Do your research and you could find this to be a great option for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.