Appliance install permit - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang)
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Crazy Appliance install permit

Don't expect answer, just venting.
Decided to get a new dishwasher installed. About 20 years ago I DIY'd
the old one. I'm now 50% crippled so hire stuff done.

So I contact a firm that works with builders and installs major appliances.
They mention they take care of the permit. I frankly didn't know a permit
was/is required. It's been over a week, we're using the thing, works fine
but no one has contacted us. I call the ciry inspector and he says no one has
filed for a permit!

It's a crock! How do I know a permit is needed? The installer brought it up!

Do other home owners run in to this?

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Never heard of a permit needed for a repair or replacement of an appliance. If they charged you for a permit its either refund or small claims time. So many odd municipal rules to navigate though.
1ofAMillion+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting. In CT, there is no permit required to replace a dishwasher. All you do is call your local friendly appliance guy and they'll have one installed within a couple of hours. For new installations, electricity and plumbing will have to be installed, and they "require" permits for any new elec or plumbing in CT.

Have you called anyone else?

John
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
John_Del is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

You should not need one for anything that plugs in. I could see some places requiring one for the plumbing side.

Did he charge you for it?
mike_s_82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Many times the permit has nothing to do with safety. It has to do with money. They want to keep tract of what you have in your home so they can properly assess youur property taxes.

68 Fastback.
351Windsor-4V, 4sp
Harleydave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Guys, not hassling charges. Not one who goes for lowest price, just want things right.
Point of discussion was this:

Say you are a new home owner (built my house 48 years ago!) how do we know what requires a permit?

So an appliance is shoved under the counter and plumber puts in a shut off valve to the hot water connection. An electrician put's an outlet under the sink and connects to existing non appliance circuit.

I'm not contesting the permit or the charge. Not able to DIY anymore. How do you others know you need a permit?

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydave View Post
Many times the permit has nothing to do with safety. It has to do with money. They want to keep tract of what you have in your home so they can properly assess youur property taxes.
So true, when I added a garage about 10yrs ago I got the permit myself as a homeowner (still had a sub do the work though ) and the cost of the permit was based on the cost of the addition. I have the nicest $1000 garage you ever saw (about $7k actual)
1ofAMillion+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydave View Post

IMO in many cases you are probably right on!

Old 06-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well when I have questions, I call my local inspectors. They have been helpful, and have evened asnwered questions I had about codes and what they want to see.

My Twp has the local ordinances online that tell you what needs a permit from them, but that is more building or remodeling outside of the house or yard concerns.

I think the rule of thumb is anything permanent to the house or has inspection codes including replacing plugs, switches and GFI's, water lines, drains. Not sure about fixtures. I think your local inspector would probably laugh at you if puller a permit for a new light fixture or even a plug.

As far as you appliances go, I never heard of anyone doing it or saying it was required.

I don't think you are going to get a one size fits all answer.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
So true, when I added a garage about 10yrs ago I got the permit myself as a homeowner (still had a sub do the work though ) and the cost of the permit was based on the cost of the addition. I have the nicest $1000 garage you ever saw (about $7k actual)
Yeah they fixed that by me. Now it's by linear foot of footing. Based on size not value so people like yourself who accidently miscalculate the cost of construction don't feel bad later for not paying the correct permit fee. Always project run overs!!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Three years ago had the roof replaced. Had to have a permit. I understand a lot can be done wrong on a roof but: When the job was done the inspector came over looked up and said yup....new roof!

Old 06-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Did the same here when we had the tornado. They told the contractors "take lots of pictures" in case they wanted to see something. Never looked at them and never even came out they wers so busy.

There is benefit to the homeowners and the next homeowners, but only if the inspector feels like doing thier job that day. Some are good, some don't care.

On my first house, if they would have called an inspector, they would have never finished any job. They usesd telephone wire to extend a flourescent light they wanted to move. Just cut the 14 ga and sliced in some of MI Bells' finest phone line.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Seems to me each year we get a property tax statement including a lengthy summery of where the money goes. So lets see in my 48 years here that would be like a book.
Every year we get a brochure several pages saying what's going on here.

In 48 years I haven't seen even a paragraph about our city/town/village codes/permits or whatever! It's like you need ESP. We get tons of info on re cycling. What containers/bins to use and what to separate. Seems like permits are a fail wrong thing!

Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Big Government, Big brother.
In Michigan, you need a permit for almost everything. What they cant see, they cant enforce.
If you own an investment or rental property things change. I own a second property. Every 3 years it has to be inspected by the city. You have to pay the inspection fees, and they get all in your coolaid.
Of coarse if your property is the nicest on the entire block like mine. The inspector really lets you have it for the dumbest little BS reason.
The property next door to mine is owned by a con-artist, sh!%bag, A$$%^&*, low life, slum lord. Who's house is falling apart and has 50 violations, and is 3 years delinquent on his taxes. He gets all the leeway in the world.
1969 Mustang Grande (future unknown)
2014 Mustang V6 premium pony package

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"
Tom Petty, Runnin Down A Dream.
1969sag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

I bet there's no permit needed in "up North" Wisc. for anything!
gimpystoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.