Any other Quitters out there? Smoking. - Vintage Mustang Forums

14Likes

post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Any other Quitters out there? Smoking.

I had my, (hopefully), last cigarette at 8:30 am on Thursday, January 8th, 2015. I had cut way down so that I could quit. This is my 7th day, one week mark without smoking. Dang it is hard to stop a 30 year, 30 cigarette a day habit. That is a pack and half for you nonsmokers. It is also about $10.00 a day.

I had a few health scares last month that put me in the emergency room twice. I ended up having an emergency tooth extraction, due to having multiple abscesses in my jaw. This was due to periodontal disease, caused by smoking.
I am quitting to save my health and my teeth. I just hope, my stubbornness can overcome my addiction. I am trying hard to keep a positive attitude, and keep focused.
The one good thing is. I will also gain about $3,650.00 of my income back. When I combine this savings with my quitting Star*ucks Coffee savings, of $600.00 a year. That is an amazing $4,250.00 a year. This money could have my 69 Grande restored in no time.
I just wish it was a little easier to quit.

Joe in Detroit
1969 Mustang Sports Roof (SAG = Sports Appearance Group) 1 of only 5,729
1966 Ranchero Custom 1 of only 11,000 made. (For Sale)
2014 Mustang V6 premium pony package
1969 Mustang Grande (sold)

Personal Quote from 5-1-15. ''DRIVE IT LIKE YOU HAVE TO POOP!"

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"
Tom Petty, Runnin Down A Dream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 10:37 AM

Garage
I'm having a hard enough kicking Amp energy drinks!! Good luck to ya brother!!

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. -Tyler Durden
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 10:59 AM

Good for you, Joe. I quit in 1995 after a 20 year 2+ packs a day habit.
I chewed on a a piece Nicorette gum for those instances where I just couldn't stand it for about a week, then got sick of that and just toughed it out.
When I went through BMT we had no smoking for 2 weeks. I didn't even notice. One of the biggest mistakes of my life was bumming a smoke when we were told we could smoke after chow one evening. I guess my point is - stay busy. It takes your mind off the craving. It does get easier the longer you go.

Bob

Tachs, Voltmeters, Headlight kits, Wiper delays and more at
Rocketman's Classic Cougar (and Mustang) Innovations, LLC

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the support.
I have been using the new nicotine gum called zonnic. It isn't as horrible tasting as the Nicorette gum, and only cost $3.00 a pack, 10 pieces. I am down to 3 pieces of the gum a day.
I am hoping it does get easier. It is crazy how strong the craving episodes can be, it is very hard sometimes. I am also getting that smokers flue. It is flue like symptoms that smokers can get sometimes when they quit. The body is trying to heal itself. My nose wont stop running. I am not complaining though. One day at a time.

Joe in Detroit

I was flyin'"
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:57 PM

Good for you Joe!!

One day at a time and you can do it.

I started smoking in jr high many moons ago - I quit about 10 years ago for a little over 5 years (not my first time quitting) but started up again about 5 years ago. Its the toughest thing I've ever done but knowing that I did it for 5 years I know I can do it again.

One thing that I found that worked for me was the "carrot" dangling at the end of the stick - in my case all the money I was going to save by quitting that I could use for other things in my life at the time just like you stated.

The other was that you TRULY have to want to quit for YOURSELF. If you're doing it for someone else it is much harder IMO.

I can feel myself reaching the point where I'm ready to quit again, hopefully for good. I have a 6 yr old grandson that I want to see grow up!!

Just so you know if you want to chat about it or need some support at anytime feel free to get a hold of me.

Best of luck to you!

John Goettsch

My First Mustang
66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:05 PM

Way to go and hang in there!

I've never smoked, but I'm well aware of how hard it is for people to quit. I almost lost my dad a couple of years ago when he coded three times while having surgery because his lungs are so compromised from fifty years of heavy smoking. After being unconcious in the ICU for weeks, he finally quit.

More power to you, my online friend.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much everyone.
On Nov 23, my abscess sent me to the E.R.. I knew it was time to start quitting for good. On Dec 10, my grandfather passed away at the age of 92. He lived a long and wonderful life. He never smoked, but he had congestive heart failure, and it was difficult for him to breath.
Then on Dec 17, my second trip to the E.R. for abscess in the jaw again. Then emergency surgery on Dec 19th. I don't wish that pain on anyone.
It was not fun going through the holidays with a mouth full of stitches. So, I am done with this addiction.
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:27 PM

Cancer is an indiscriminate killer. Cancer does not give you a warning or 30 notice. It shows up and says I am going to kill you. Read the label on that pack of smokes , no BS'in around, it says ' causes cancer ' I smoked Pall-Malls for years then moved onto 10-15 a day Dutch Masters Presidents. Loved them and did not want to quit. The Doc said " fine you have maybe 1 year and no more than a year and a half. I quit soon there after. That was in 1994. If you live long enough you will find there is nothing worse than asking an ex-smoker what he thinks of that awful, legal, addictive, destructive, filthy habit. Hope you can join the club. Brian
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:51 PM

Ok a few things about smoking from a Pharmacist point of view. I have watched a close family member die from lung cancer when I was in Pharmacy School. It was one of the toughest things to witness. Over a period of 2 years I watched them remove a small part of lung, then 1/2 of lung then rest of lung. I watched my uncle suffer. At the end, he decided to die but did not tell anyone about it. I figured it out a few months before he died when I had to help him replace a sink at his house and I did all the work. He told me he was in lots of pain but not to tell anyone. I have watched patients come into my job and the effect of cigarettes on their health. But I know it is a difficult thing to quit. I have done continuing education over the years to help provide smokers with assistance quitting if they need/want it. It take, on average 6 times to quit smoking. Some people will quit on first time but majority don't. The thing people that are quitting need to remember is keep on trying. If you have problems, ask your RPh or Doctor for help quitting. If you are a friend or family provide positive reinforcement to help them, and if they fail, remind them that you are on their side. One of the biggest reasons I have been told in the Pharmacy for not quitting it is too expensive. This is due to fact that many Insurance do not cover Chantix (many more are covering it now though). So what, you pay for 3 months of Chantix and it cost 700 or so dollars. How much is smoking costing you? How much is it hurting your health? If you happen to go to your pharmacy and they tell you it is not covered, do not take this as the last answer. Many Pharmacies are a little lazy (or don't know) that some insurances need the customer to call them to enroll them into smoking cessation coverage (they do it via phone really easy to do). Call your insurance and ask them if they have such a program or ask them why you medication was not covered and how can you get it covered? I have seen success with a few friend. One had teeth removed because getting partial due to damage to gums due to injury and smoking. He has gone 3 months. He seems a bit more healthy. ANother friend was offered I think 200 to attempt quitting and another 300 if still of cigarretes after a year. That was 8 years ago. Before he quit, he was getting winded easy and his health was not great, Now he is healthier than ever. He was lucky he quit when he did because he came down with a really nasty flu 5 or 6 years ago and was in hospital for a while. He doubts he would have lived if he still was quitting. I don't judge people, I have friends that smoke. I wish everyone the best of luck quitting if they want to. For most people, it is not an easy thing to do. If you have questions ask your health care providers. That is why we are here. If they don't want to help you, you need to find another one. Good luck everyone trying to quit.
Paulo

Current piles of rust 1965: New yorker***1968: GTO convert, Lemans convert Porche 911***1969: MustangGT convert, Mach1 S code Mach1, Mach1 CobraJet R code GTO convert, Firbird Convert 1970 Boss 302***1972: Charger***1999:f250 CNG truck***2011:nissan Altima ---> I need to get rid of some of this junk lol
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:06 PM

The hardest thing I ever did. I quit in 1982. I remember thinking about having a smoke every half hour at first, then every hour, then twice a day, then once a week, and so on. I will tell you it get's easier if you don't give in. Hang in there. don't think you can have just one, the process starts all over again. for me after a month I knew it was behind me. Dave

68 Fastback.
351Windsor, 4sp, 8" 3.40 TracLok
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...ld-thread.html
post #11 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 07:44 PM

I don't smoke but I quit drinking in September. I'm not sure why I waited so long to do that. Life seems so much better now, and I could have saved a lot of money and a whole lot of trouble. Oh well, lesson learned.

68 Coupe - 351w, TFS Twisted Wedge heads, Comp XE284, T5, 4 Wheel Disc, Explorer 8.8 w/4.10, former 200ci 6 cylinder.
post #12 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:25 PM

Good luck! My dad died from lung cancer last year and he had emphysema for 12 years before that. He smoked from the age of 9 to 59.
post #13 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Coupe View Post
I don't smoke but I quit drinking in September. I'm not sure why I waited so long to do that. Life seems so much better now, and I could have saved a lot of money and a whole lot of trouble. Oh well, lesson learned.
That is great. Good job.
I had to stop drinking years ago. About 15 years ago. I knew it was starting to become too much. Then I got in a real bad relationship with a full blown alcoholic. That changed my life and opened my eyes. Now every once in a great while I will have one or two. Usually at family events.
I don't care if other people do, but it just isn't meant for me. I don't have a high tolerance for stupid people causing me problems. It seems when I drink, I attract horrible people, doing stupid things, and creating problems.
Then it is inevitable that I will stop horrible people from doing stupid things, and END, any problems.
So. It is just best I don't drink, it keeps me out of trouble.
post #14 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydave View Post
The hardest thing I ever did. I quit in 1982. I remember thinking about having a smoke every half hour at first, then every hour, then twice a day, then once a week, and so on. I will tell you it get's easier if you don't give in. Hang in there. don't think you can have just one, the process starts all over again. for me after a month I knew it was behind me. Dave
Thanks, everyone.
I can not wait for the cravings to go away. Stupid addiction.

Joe in Detroit

I was flyin'"
post #15 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevea View Post
Good luck! My dad died from lung cancer last year and he had emphysema for 12 years before that. He smoked from the age of 9 to 59.
I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing that info, it helps to keep me focused. This is not the future life I want.

Joe in Detroit

I was flyin'"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page