Stock vs Restomod Value - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes

post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Stock vs Restomod Value

I would like to get everyone’s opinion on stock vs restomod value. Well maybe not everyone’s opinion, otherwise this thread will be longer than the curved monte carlo bar thread. Let’s say you have two 67 A code fastbacks. You restore both to the 9’s. One is restored completely stock (maybe not concourse standards). The other you put in a 408 with an AOD, rear disc brakes and maybe a hood scoop. I know some of you will say keep it stock and I understand that. I’m looking to get a feel for the value difference if any between stock and restomod.

Steve
67 Fastback
(Under Restoration)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 PM

depends on if said resto mod has a curved monte carlo bar
also been wondering are Forum cars worth more
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:58 PM

Garage
I'll take the stocker every time. Not everybody has the same tastes and appreciates someone else's mods. Of course, that's talking about "worth" as "resale value".

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 PM

Barti has a good point, but I'm in favor of a moded car IF it is done exceptionally well with high quality parts.

Dan Nelson
67 coupe, 393 Cleveland
Toploader, 4:11, detroit no spin

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps30f73058.jpg

http://s880.photobucket.com/user/62h...y393c/library/?
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:46 PM

I would say that a stock vehicle would hold more value generally. But, a well done resto-mod could be worth more if done correctly...maybe a lot more for a nice pro-touring car.

To get any decent return on your money invested in a resto-mod, it would have to be in clean condition...who wants to buy someone's old resto-mod with dirty beat down tubular control arms, a 347 that looks like crap, 17" wheels with bald tires and lots of brake dust, etc., etc...if that's the case, I'd rather buy a stocker.

Matt
Brea, CA

1965 Mustang Coupe 289 a/t Build Thread
1967 Firebird 400 4sp
1967 GTO 400 a/t
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 12:00 AM

Depends on the crowd you ask? More likely younger crowd - resto, old - stock. Are exceptions but, generally.
Now me, being older, staying on topic, 67 A code fb, I say stock. For the reason I like perfection, but not over the top. I feel depending on what you start with, think going to stock is harder to do. Because in many cases, parts are harder to find or duplicate. Doing a "resto" you can deviate during the process if you run into a problem. Since I like a challenge, stock it is.

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <myhawk@gsinet.net>
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 12:44 AM

I want the one with the straight MC bar!

"Challenger Special"
Repaired NOT Restored
6F07A
65A R 26 060 62 1 1
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:09 AM

Would the work be done by a stock professional or an amateur rustomodder? An amateur going for original has a better chance of at least not making it worth any less. + Stock vs. restomod is getting too broad these days. The extreme from stock would be the pro touring cars, that when done right seem to go for up to 100k+ but those parts were awful pricey and I think they will have quite a depreciation for ones actually driven, and then try and convince an insurance company what it is worth!
YMMV!
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Give me stock anyday of the week!

It always depends on the quality of the build no matter what you do.

Just remember, It's always harder to restore something back to original than to restomod it out.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 02:33 AM

As everyone else has said, depends on a lot of things. A concours stock will pull big bucks just because of the level of attention to detail, but a non-concours stock is not so likely to do so. Similarly, a more desirable car (i.e. the big blocks, GTs, etc.) will pull a lot more stock than a less desirable car would.

For example, my '66 fastback was originally a 6 cylinder auto trans. Fully restored to stock, it would not be worth over 20K. But as a restomod with a 289, 4 speed, 9" rear, disc brakes, aftermarket steering, A/C, interior upgrades, power brakes, and EFI it has been valued (by an appraiser) at almost twice that. If my car had been an A code before being modified, the stock vs. restomod values would have been much closer to each other. Had my car been a K code, turning it into a restomod would decrease the value.

In the case that you listed, the two cars would probably be pretty comparable in value, just to different groups of people. What modifications are done affects the value a ton. Some things - like stroking an engine or swapping to Pertronix ignition - are generally considered to be pluses, while others - like over-the-top custom fiberglass bodywork - are generally considered to be minuses. The more extreme you go, the less people want it (unless you're the Ring Bros).

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2014: 10,051 mile, 2-month-long road trip around America
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two
2016: East Coast to TX, Hot August Nights, more trips to the East Coast
2017: Several long trips in the works! Stay tuned
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:15 AM

Generally, I would much rather find a stock or unmolested car than an old half worn out resto mod.

My car is basically a coupe version of Kelly's. It has a lot of subtle upgrades and modifications. In this case, I think it helps the value.

On K codes, big block cars, factory GTs etc, I think modifications would decrease the value.

I think extreme customs turn most people off, The Ring Bros included.

1997 Cobra Convertible (stock)
1965 Mustang 302, T5, 9 Inch
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...-100-1108.html

Last edited by tx65coupe; 02-19-2015 at 05:17 AM.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 06:45 AM

Garage
Do you mean current value or future value? Currently restomods are all the rage, just look at ebay, super nice original fastbacks going for 40-60k, while high dollar restomods are twice that (at least asking prices). A well done restomod is cool, but give me a mostly stock mustang any day. Remember back in the day when everybody was putting super wide tires on the back and jacking the cars way up? Looks silly now. That's what a restomod is to me, very cool now but maybe not so cool in the future. A stocker will always be cool.

69 Mach 1, 351W, T5, owned for 29 years, 03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, 65 fastback, 289, C4 (son's), 67 fastback, 289, C4 (wife's)
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 08:33 AM

When I buy a car regardless of planned use one of the first things I do is get shop manuals. If the car is modified (talking mechanically/chassis etc) I want to know what's there not a mystery.

Yes many mods improve the operation, driveability, safety etc. and I may mod myself.

As a buyer original, even to the paint (original not just original color) is tops, more likely to buy.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 AM

Tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
When I buy a car regardless of planned use one of the first things I do is get shop manuals. If the car is modified (talking mechanically/chassis etc) I want to know what's there not a mystery.

Yes many mods improve the operation, driveability, safety etc. and I may mod myself.

As a buyer original, even to the paint (original not just original color) is tops, more likely to buy.
By the way I stated above my opinion as my current old self.
My first car I bought in high school was a 11 year old Ford with different engine, dual carbs, steel tube headers obviously dual exhaust and several appearance mods. Drove it once, loved it bought it and added my own mods.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 12:09 PM

IMO, it would be hard to determine the greater value between the two, but the sale of a stock restore would appeal to more buyers.

65 A code Coupe, Raven Black, Palomino Deluxe
65 A code Fastback (under restoration)
66 C code Convertible (awaiting her turn)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page