Ford Edge panoramic roof sluggish to close - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Ford Edge panoramic roof sluggish to close

Wife's 2009 Edge has the huge vista roof thing, and it's sluggish for the last 10" of travel. Once I had her hold the button while I assisted it by hand when it refused to close. It's working now, but very slow to close.

I've looked it over and I'm guessing the rearward tracks are the problem because they are outside the car on the roof exposed to weather and crud even when the glass roof is closed. The track is enclosed more or less in a rubber gasket that's only has enough gap to allow the rear roof brackets to slide in them, but can never be weather tight. The front tracks look like they can use some lube but they are otherwise clean and they are inside the weather stripping so they don't get wet or dirty. The grease in the front tracks looks clear with a yellowish tint.

I'd like to spray some lube in the rear tracks, but don't want to put in something that might be incompatible with any lube that's now there. Owner's manual mentions nothing about maintaining the roof.

Lots of people seem to have problems with this roof, but nobody seems to know the solution.

Anybody see this before?

John

Do NOT send me a private message, email me directly:delstv@aol.com
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...mustangftp.jpg
now sandblasted and DP40'd since this pic was taken.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 07:26 PM

I found a couple of things by "googl'ing". A few threads talk about re initializing the sun roof. I don't have one, and never tried it, but if you haven't tried it, may be worth a shot. Here's one thread I found that describes it.
How to Fix Ford Edge Sunroof Problem - Glass, Lenses, Lighting, Mirrors & Wipers - Ford Edge Forum

Hope it works out.

George
1966 Sprint 200
We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.Galo View Post
I found a couple of things by "googl'ing". A few threads talk about re initializing the sun roof.
In addition to the sluggish roofs, there's also the issue with these roofs where they stop 8" short from being out of phase. A reinitialization will reset this. I did try this for s**ts and giggles, and no joy. Because the sluggish roof problem happens right about the 8" mark, they seem to be the same problem (particularly if the sluggish roof comes to a stop) but are not.

Today was warm, and the roof worked properly. It's more cranky when cold. In the bright sun I was able to get a look inside the rear tracks and they look clean, but don't seem to see any lube whatsoever. I don't know if there should be any, or if lube may block the drains. I was thinking about spraying some dry teflon spray into the channel and taking my chances.

Thanks for looking!

John

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 09:53 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to coolblue65
my wife drives a 2011 MKX (same basic SUV) and it is currently at the dealer getting the sun roof fixed for the exact same problem- fortunately for me its a warranty issue and I am not paying for it, my understanding is that it is the tracks that are the problem and they are replacing them. Apparantly it's a fairly big job as they will have the car for a few days (dropped it off Thursday and don't expect it back till Tuesday). A mecaninc was standning there when I dropped it off, and he acted like this is a fairly common problem with these cars.

I'll update you when I pick up the car and find out exactly what they had to do.

ET: 12.7@109 mph
ENGINE: FiTech EFI, DSS 347, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, XE274HR cam, MSD ign, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow exhaust
DRIVELINE: Tremec 3550, Pro 5.0, Fidanza AL Flywheel, McCleod clutch, 3.55's, 13" GT Front & Cobra Rear brakes
SUSPENSION: 17" TTII's, 235/45 tires, 620 coils, Shelby drop, 1" & 3/4" sway bars, Monte Carlo bar, S&T strut rods, Bilsteins, & roller perches
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:21 PM

what happened?

so what happened? about 2 years ago i took mine in and they lubed it, but curious about the rails
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 09:23 PM

Same problem

I have a 2008 ford edge limited with the vista roof and tonight it wouldn't shut. It's currently open 6-8 inches and won't budge past that before it jerks itself back again. I had this problem a couple of months ago in the summer after I had driven on dirt roads and just assumed the tracks were dirty and that was the problem. It closed the next morning after that. This time is different because the tracks are clean. I hope in the morning I'm able to shut it like I was able to last time, I'm a little nervous to try the re-initialization process I've read a lot about this past hour. Has any tried it and it worked?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

When my wife's roof refused to close, it seemed more like drag the motor couldn't overcome as opposed to it just stopping because the calibration was wrong. I tried the reinitialization process and it had no affect. I had her hold the button while I assisted it with my fingers to close the roof.

I ended up spraying a dry (aerosol) teflon spray into the rear tracks as I feared spraying anything with an oil or grease would attract and hold on to debris and ultimately make things worse.

I believe it's still slower than it was when we first got it, but it has been working since it was sprayed. I play to give it another dose of dry teflon:

Blaster 9.3 oz. Advanced Dry Lube with Teflon-16-TDL - The Home Depot

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page