"What's your bottom dollar?" - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

"What's your bottom dollar?"

Nothing pisses me off more than receiving this question in response to a craigslist ad. Why would anyone answer this question? I just tell them I will listen to any reasonable offer they make in person.

****ing lazy dirtbag assholes.

Discuss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:41 AM
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Nothing pisses me off more than receiving this question in response to a craigslist ad. Why would anyone answer this question? I just tell them I will listen to any reasonable offer they make in person.

****ing lazy dirtbag assholes.

Discuss.

Dunno if I'd call them that, but I do hate that when they ask that. If they do it via text, email or phone, my response is "look at my item in person and then we'll talk business". I only negotiate after they've viewed my item for sale in person. If they hit me with the "bottom dollar" question in person, I say "make me an offer and we'll go from there".

1970 Fastback (to be finished outside as a Boss 302 clone)
393 Windsor AFR 205 heads with 11.5:1 compression, Victor Jr. intake, solid roller cam with shaft mount roller rockers
Tremec TKO 5 Speed

post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 AM

Some people have a need to check off in their mind or for bragging that "I really got a great deal on this"! I'm on the other side...some people just have this automatic "whatja
pay for that"....non a your business!

I've known a guy for 30 years. I swear he must haggle for the price in a McDonalds drive through.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Asking for the bottom dollar seems like a breach of etiquette in the haggling process. It's the equivalent of being tackled by a linebacker during a game of chess.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 AM

Some, like me get no pleasure from the haggling/bargaining. If I'm selling my asking price is way below the estimated value. Spare Mustang part or car. No need to haggle.

Buying, I spell out in detail basis for my offer. Rules of buying and selling IMO.

Selling price has nothing to do with how much the seller has "invested".
Doesn't matter if the buyer is rich or poor. Don't use the "man, that's all I can afford".

How do you like the used car salesman who approaches you asking how much do you have to spend?

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:59 AM

Garage
I agree- but on the other hand as the buyer I've done the same thing, although only in person and after looking at the car. I think it's all in HOW and WHEN you ask- assuming you're doing it respectfully. I just bought a '59 Galaxy- he was asking $1,000... I got it for $300; it never hurts to ask so long as it's done right!

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. -Tyler Durden
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:03 AM

Reply back with the asking price.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:06 AM

I've often replied "Your top dollar" So let's talk?
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:10 AM

Some people ask this on the phone to decide if it really is worth either buyers or sellers time to meet. I don't really see a problem with it. It I was asked the same I would say I would really like X dollars but might go down a little if we meet.

Current piles of rust 1965: New yorker***1968: GTO convert, Lemans convert Porche 911***1969: MustangGT convert, Mach1 S code Mach1, Mach1 CobraJet R code GTO convert, Firbird Convert 1970 Boss 302***1972: Charger***1999:f250 CNG truck***2011:nissan Altima ---> I need to get rid of some of this junk lol
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I think it's not so much the question itself as the fact that it comes via email sight unseen. It's the combination.

I also think it's absurd to make an offer over email without seeing the item. The thing is these offers are usually around 50% of the asking price. If someone were ever to ask if I would take 80-90% of the asking price I would say, "sure, come on over with the cash." But they never do that.

I guess buying stuff on craigslist is like online dating. Some guys take the shotgun blast approach. If you email everyone the same stupid question maybe one day someone will say yes. And you won't really have to have done much except degrade yourself.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:27 AM

I don't take any of it personal. We are talking about buying and selling things to people who are most likely NOT like me or you. CL has opened up the market place for every walk of life to deal with regarding buying and selling.

Times are changing and if you can't deal with people who do this, then don't do it. People are called CL flakes for a reason!

I usually ask if they have movement on a price when buying something or I ask if they will take "this much" for the item. I have bought many things without seeing it first and making an offer that was accepted. I am picking up a door for our house today and the deal was made over emails. If I show up and the item is what they said it was, then I buy it, and if I show up and it's nothing like what they said, then I negotiate a lower price, or tell them sorry I don't want it.

Life is too short to be concerned with the changing market place and how people deal with each other.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Just some guy

Garage
I bought a cheap car not too long ago from an ad. I thought the guy had it priced about right, maybe even a little low, and never said a word about the price at any point. Decided I would take it and handed him the money. He handed me 50 back. Said it was just because so many people had been beating him up on the price when he was already almost giving the car away he was just glad to deal with somebody who didn't do that to him.
Had another guy knock a hundred off the selling price on the spot after he realized we were both "car guys" happily BS'ing away about all kinds of cars and our projects. Once again I never mentioned the money until it came time to hand it to him.
Flukes? I don't know. Maybe sometimes it DOES pay to be nice to people.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

I try not to turn anyone away if people aren't exactly beating down my door to buy something. But it's hard to bite my tongue and accept that I have to do business with someone I do not have respect for.

I've told people who send low sight unseen offers "sure, if you can get it today." They never reply back. I accept their low offer and they can't manage to make time to close the deal? They aren't even prepared for someone to say yes. You really should ask your mommy for the cash before you start spamming ridiculous offers.

Call it me having difficulty adjusting to a changing market if you want, but many of these people are just oxygen thieves and it sucks to have to deal with them. No question about it.

Last edited by jdub; 08-10-2015 at 10:47 AM.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:02 AM

I had a guy ask my bottom dollar on an old 69 Chevrolet pickup I had for sale, so I told him. He came over and looked at the pickup for an hour and an half, then offered me less. I said no and he left. Wasted my time, but it sold for more later.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I bought a cheap car not too long ago from an ad. I thought the guy had it priced about right, maybe even a little low, and never said a word about the price at any point. Decided I would take it and handed him the money. He handed me 50 back. Said it was just because so many people had been beating him up on the price when he was already almost giving the car away he was just glad to deal with somebody who didn't do that to him.
Had another guy knock a hundred off the selling price on the spot after he realized we were both "car guys" happily BS'ing away about all kinds of cars and our projects. Once again I never mentioned the money until it came time to hand it to him.
Flukes? I don't know. Maybe sometimes it DOES pay to be nice to people.

Way back before dirt I answered a newspaper ad 37 Ford good condition. It was the original little old lady car bought and serviced at the original dealer locally! I offered her twice her asking price and bought it same day.

A few years ago a guy asked, out of the blue sky if I would sell a project car I had in storage. I insisted he look it over so he knew what he was getting in to. He looked it over and said what do you want for it? Told him, he said I was way low and paid almost 50% more!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page