There are some VERY knowledgeable people on this site, but Facebook VMF? - Vintage Mustang Forums

37Likes

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

There are some VERY knowledgeable people on this site, but Facebook VMF?

I was reading through some posts on FB today and it was scary how much bad advice I saw. I don't know a lot, but I know some and I was like WOW!
aolshove and Lizer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:27 PM

Couldn't care less about FaceBook.
Absolute crap. I refuse to have any presence on that deal.
TheRktmn, gt350sr, JD08 and 1 others like this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:40 PM

I refuse to do the FB thing.
I like my privacy. I don't want the planet to know my business.
TheRktmn, Caper50, JD08 and 1 others like this.

Joe in Detroit
1969 Mustang Sports Roof (SAG = Sports Appearance Group) 1 of only 5,729
1966 Ranchero Custom 1 of only 11,000 made. (For Sale)
2014 Mustang V6 premium pony package
1969 Mustang Grande (sold)

Personal Quote from 5-1-15. ''DRIVE IT LIKE YOU HAVE TO POOP!"

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"
Tom Petty, Runnin Down A Dream.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

When my kids joined I joined. I don't make a big deal out of it.

I was just reading some of the answers given on the VMF Fb and I was amazed at some of the answers about the differences between 289 engines and cars.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 01:19 AM
I won a special award

The thing I find annoying on Facebook, and the internet for that matter, is all the urban myths and falsehoods people spread around carelessly. I recently saw someone post on FB posted up a link claiming if you're robbed at an ATM to enter your pin backwards and the police are automatically called. It took me less than 30 seconds of Googling to find out it was nothing more than an urban myth. I'm very skeptical of stuff floating around on the internet and often use Snopes.com to verify things like that.
Kelly_H, Sparky66 and Lizer like this.

1970 Fastback (to be finished outside as a Boss 302 clone)
393 Windsor AFR 205 heads with 11.5:1 compression, Victor Jr. intake, solid roller cam with shaft mount roller rockers
Tremec TKO 5 Speed

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 01:41 AM

Garage
I read the Facebook VMF, post, and look at the pics... but prefer to use this site if I want information. There is definitely much better info here.. I assume it's because there is a younger less experienced more opinionated crowd that frequents the FB page.. and generally more people who probably don't even own classic mustangs...
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 07:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mymachone
Face book is a two edge, it can be a great tool or a place to spread all kinds of crap.

I have been able to catch up with people who I knew decades ago . But any time there is garbage coming from anyone , there gone .
Including my family .
I don,t share pics , jokes , personal info , or gossip .

Its not all bad , like anything it can be if used the wrong way.

1969 Mach 1 , with American Eagle's 15"x8" 4.25 back space 235/60/R15 BF Goodrich tires
351W Massaged just a little with a mild cam and Edelbrock intake. Holly 650
1968 GMC step side short box
1967 Triumph 650 Tigar Twin Cycle
2007 Mustang
As Red Green Would Say. If It Ain't Broke , your not trying hard enough
Never give up the ship!
Munisingbaycrouisers annual car show 3rd wk end of Sept
Check out our facebook pg.

My Web Site
www.myclassicvehicals.webs.com
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

I think social media (this site is also social media) in general has some very good traits, but there really is some bad information that goes around. There is at least moderators on this site that can shut down a bad thread, but on FB there is blocking bad information and drama is crazy. I usually block anyone who is drama filled. I like this commercial.

https://youtu.be/v_CgPsGY5Mw
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Myopic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevea View Post
I was reading through some posts on FB today and it was scary how much bad advice I saw. I don't know a lot, but I know some and I was like WOW!
Join the page....and help us make the advice better .

Todd and I work hard to keep the spam their low and the FB site has a strong following from both folks here and new folks (which we try to push over to become active members here). It is another channel that lets us engage with follow mustang enthusiasts.
aslan, Shaun, Stevea and 4 others like this.

Nick
1965 Fastback 410c AOD - DT
1967 Fastback 347 T5- Cruiser
1968 Fastback 408w T5 - Brute
1991 GT Hatch - Fauxbra
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgestang View Post

Todd and I work hard to keep the spam their low and the FB site has a strong following from both folks here and new folks (which we try to push over to become active members here). It is another channel that lets us engage with follow mustang enthusiasts.
This thread in no hit on you guys. I appreciate the effort that goes into the FB page. I did join the page awhile back. This site is dedicated to Mustangs for the most part and FB is for everyone out there, so it's obviously going to have more varied feedback.

Thanks for your time and effort Nick and Todd.
aslan likes this.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxum96 View Post
The thing I find annoying on Facebook, and the internet for that matter, is all the urban myths and falsehoods people spread around carelessly. I recently saw someone post on FB posted up a link claiming if you're robbed at an ATM to enter your pin backwards and the police are automatically called. It took me less than 30 seconds of Googling to find out it was nothing more than an urban myth. I'm very skeptical of stuff floating around on the internet and often use Snopes.com to verify things like that.
Yeah, it sucks when you have like 3-4 Facebook friends that are always sharing this nonsense without fact checking. I'm not even talking about political stuff, just the urban myths.

One of them that was making the rounds recently was a supposed dramatic video of someone who drank twenty red bulls (mixed with alcohol in some of the stories) and their heart "was beating out of their chest." The video was of actually someone who had been in a car accident and the phenomena being shown was some sort of chest trauma. Clearly something pulmonary where air was getting into the chest cavity and puffing up the skin. I have no medical background but it was obvious that you weren't seeing a heart beating out of the chest.

Then there's the "1 Like = 1 Prayer, 1 Share = 10 Prayers" crap for ever sob story. Especially stupid when it's a "missing" child that was actually found six years ago. I guess in this case people need to feel like they're saving the world. Well guess what, that's not done bored in front of a computer screen at your house while your kids are at school.

I really think the internet and the dumbness go hand in hand for two reasons. First it gives dumb people an outlet for millions to witness dumb that used to be more private. I also think it makes people dumber than they normally are by reducing them down to liking and sharing dumb ****, it removes critical thinking and you have to use that or lose it.
aolshove, Maxum96, Kelly_H and 2 others like this.

Last edited by jdub; 03-11-2016 at 09:54 AM.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:16 AM

Agreed. FB should require a Snopes.com check before allowing anybody to share. LOL! Sooooo much bad "info" being spread on there.

It would be simple:

User: *clicks Share for "Dangerous Snakes that Live in Your toilet" link*
FB: "Thank you for Sharing but, have you checked Snopes yet?"
User: *clicks "No"*
FB: "Account Deleted"
Lizer likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------

'68 convertible restoration "almost done". See Ol' Rusty's progress at 68Vert.BlogSpot.Com

MCA #72655
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 AM
PAW

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:22 AM
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgestang View Post

I appreciate the efforts and work you guys do with the VMF page and the Facebook page. But you won't catch me on the VMF FB page. The only reason I use FB is to stay in touch with family and friends I don't get to see very often. Also being on the VMF FB page would require me to reveal my full name and I don't care to put that out on an internet message board with my profession.

1970 Fastback (to be finished outside as a Boss 302 clone)
393 Windsor AFR 205 heads with 11.5:1 compression, Victor Jr. intake, solid roller cam with shaft mount roller rockers
Tremec TKO 5 Speed

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:22 AM

A while back our VMF format was revised visually. I kinda liked the look. Then I started noticing the number of likes was shown
near the top of the page along with notifications. LIKES? What's this? Come to find it's Face Book!

Are we now a Face Book site/link whatever? You mean Face Book is now where car enthusiasts get the straight poop?
My wife has a lot of fun with facebook. Videos are posted of cute puppy dogs and kitty cats and babies having fun.
Friend who posts her latest desert recipe. It never occurred to me, can't imagine going on facebook to find how to
fix the rollers on you 67 Mustang quarter window. Guess I'm terribly old fashioned. We have 3 or 4 national Mustang sites
that are frequented by people who almost make a career on these and other vintage autos. So let's go to the gossip column
for the best info? Are my posts/replies on Face Book?
Lizer likes this.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page