Part time vintage repair work - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes
  • 2 Post By dodgestang
  • 1 Post By Huntingky
  • 1 Post By gt350sr

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Myopic

Part time vintage repair work

Thinking about trying to pick up/build myself a side business. I have a fully equipped shop and significant experience working on classic mustangs (and other vehicles).

Suspension rebuild/replace, upgrades, engine swaps, exhaust work, etc.....model could be straight up drop it off and do it all, bring it over and we do it together, or even shop rental......anyone got any input on a business of this type?
gt350sr and joespony67 like this.

Nick
1965 Fastback 410c AOD - DT
1967 Fastback 347 T5- Cruiser
1968 Fastback 408w T5 - Brute
1991 GT Hatch - Fauxbra
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:08 PM

Sounds like a good side business. Probably not enough work for full time, but I would give you a call if I need help doing something or wanted to just drop it off and have something done.
I'm in Maryland, so you may get a PM from me some time.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:17 PM

Garage
Unless you're going to get, or already have a business license and tax id- I'd heavily recommend you work for cash! I've been doing what your thinking about for several years now- pretty much under the radar. I don't advertise other than by word of mouth, and my work speaks for itself(maybe a little help from the owners). I typically have 2-4 projects lined up, anything from a few minor repairs/additions, to the 'here's a shell and everything I've got in boxes. Let me know when it's done' kinda thing. For the most part I get a lump sum up front to buy parts and cover some labor. Then as things progress, I keep a tally of the hours spent and parts receipts, and the owner will give me more $ as needed. I've got several repeat customers, so must be doing something right. I absolutely love doing it- it's like getting paid to learn and build cool cars. It's how I can afford to play in this car hobby we all love! Good luck- hopefully you can do the same!

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:21 PM

Nick : Great Idea. Put your acquired knowledge & skills into something you like.
Joe
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Myopic

Thanks guys....definitely see this as a cash side business. Small, word of mouth, not a full time shop by any stretch. "Some guy in a garage can do it he may be not the fastest and weather impacts his productivity but he is good and cheap"

Nick
1965 Fastback 410c AOD - DT
1967 Fastback 347 T5- Cruiser
1968 Fastback 408w T5 - Brute
1991 GT Hatch - Fauxbra
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:23 PM

Garage
I think it's a great idea. I was considering buying a shop a while back. It had a paint booth, lift, and a bunch of other equipment. My thought was to rent space to other Mustang owners and allow full access to everything. My hope was for it to serve as "real", working forum. I just couldn't find enough local interest. May still do it someday.

Best of luck!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:15 AM

Look into getting insurance if you plan on doing a decent amount of work.

You don't want to risk your personal assets because of a perceived bad repair or an accident a customer has after picking up the car and they haul you into court blaming the work you did as the cause.

Not sure if those costs would make it not worth doing though. Also not sure if you'd be able to get insurance running a side business out of your house.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:24 PM

I would definitely keep it small and cash as much as possible....and be prepared to say "NO". Otherwise you could very easily get over run.
I am very much a beginner but I have had multiple people look at my work and request to take a look at doing some restoration work for them. If they knew how much thought I had to put into each step and how many times I had to rethink or redo things they might not be as interested..ha ha. I get done with mine and I will BE DONE.
gt350sr likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 03:09 PM

Garage
I get done with mine and I will BE DONE.

I wouldn't bet on it- this car hobby is a lot like a tube of Pringles... once you pop, you can't stop!! lol the biggest problem for me is that I'm always building cars for other people instead of finishing any of mine. My wiff's '66 vert has been ready for paint for almost 6 years now; my '67 F100 has the Crown Vic front end swap parts, along with a new rear axle and body parts still sitting in the bed; my '65 Galaxie is done short of finishing up the dash wiring; my '65 Mustang STILL needs the timing adjusted and lowered; my '39 Ford is ready for paint and final assembly; and if that wasn't enough- I just picked up a '38 Ford pu that I needed like a hole in the head!! So- AFTER I finish building a '66 fb currently in the shop, AND finish the '29 model A roadster pu coming in next, AND finish up the '68 F100 build after that, THEN maybe I can get something of my own done!! It's just really tough paying to build my stuff when I can get paid to do it for others!
Huntingky likes this.

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 06:20 PM

Send a PM to Pete's Ponies. He has been doing this for a long time.

Wayne

1967 C code convertible

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page