NY VIN lookup for my 68'? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Red Face NY VIN lookup for my 68'?

Hi, don't live in NY but my Metuchen 68' fastback S code came from there...

I bought it as a restoration project with lost licence plates and a tatty registration paper with the first few plate numbers missing. I'd like to find out it's NY plate number - just for my own satisfaction. However the NY DMV website won't accept an old 11 digit VIN on their VIN check webpage and when I call their helpline I get stuck in a queue for ages (on a long distance call...), then told to call back later! Grrrrr.

I've tried emails too, even enclosing scans of VIN plates, registration papers etc, but all I get back is "call this number".
Very frustrating.

I'm trying to do all this from Australia. So can any New Yorkers offer a way to check out my VIN number?

It's; 8T02S182523

Many thanks in advance.

March 1968 S code 390GT Fastback. Warmed 401 CID, TKO600 - Bullit replica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Nobody?

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 05:25 PM

Not really sure what you are looking for. In NY plates are not permanently assigned to a car and even long term owners will go through multiple sets over the years. They get new plates when they change hands, taken off and put back on the road, and most recently when the state changes the style and surcharge you if you want to keep them a little while longer. Plates can also be transferred to a different car owned by the registrant.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 05:53 PM

Garage
Same in Florida. Plates used to change every 2 years. They last longer now, and if you sell the car you can keep the plate to transfer to another car. The state does not keep records that go back to the 60's, so your best shot is to see if the previous owner might have any paperwork that shows the plate #.

1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Delivered to Ball Ford in Miami Florida, purchased by Hertz Rent A Car for delivery to Miami Internation Airport
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpaint View Post
Not really sure what you are looking for. In NY plates are not permanently assigned to a car and even long term owners will go through multiple sets over the years. They get new plates when they change hands, taken off and put back on the road, and most recently when the state changes the style and surcharge you if you want to keep them a little while longer. Plates can also be transferred to a different car owned by the registrant.
Hey firstly thanks for the reply! Great to get such good information on the NY plate processes.

I have most of the last licence plate number, just missing the first digit, (It was ?491 BTH - I think!) which is a bummer. But after hearing from you I'm thinking that's not really what I'm after anyway, as what I want to know is the first licence plate number it had in 68'. I'm going to get a set of "novelty" reproduction 68' NY licence plates made for shows etc. To go with the repro inspection and expiry stickers I have. Hence the query.

I just spent an hour on hold and transfers with the NY DMV this morning (OZ time) and got told they know but can't (won't) tell me anything. Told me to file a MV-15 form... (I'm not even sure if they will process that as it asks for US or state gov ID, which as an Ozzie I don't have). :-( I suppose that if they decide to help me out I might find the original plate number(s). I have asked for a full title / licence history report.

My car was sold on March 19th 68' by;

RAYMOND CAR SALES INC
207-02 NORTHERN BLVD
BAYSIDE NY 11361

So first I thought I'd track them down and beg for help, but nope! They are no longer there (Its a Tile shop), and the only Raymond Car Sales I can find is a smallish used car yard over in Flushing. Who (if related), would probably not be keeping 49 yo sales data from when they were once a FORD dealership. So not much luck there. The PO bought it unlicensed as a restoration project, then lost interest and flipped it to me. He can't remember the plate number either and they were lost some time ago.

If anyone knows a way (or person who can access such) to do an 11 digit VIN lookup Id be grateful.
Please PM me to keep it discrete if you want.

Thanks again!

Last edited by mungus; 12-16-2016 at 06:13 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:48 PM

Three numbers and three letters was a long standing format for plate numbers in NY. Not sure what period it was common but there may not be any more characters.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpaint View Post
Three numbers and three letters was a long standing format for plate numbers in NY. Not sure what period it was common but there may not be any more characters.
Yes I thought so too, but multiple plate look ups with those numbers didn't reveal anything. When I look at the registration receipt the digits on the LHS all lined up except for the plate number line, it actually looks like there should be one more in front to make everything line up. So just in case the alignment issue was valid, I also tried plate searches using 0-9 in front of those numbers and again - nada. Grrrr.
So that's why I'm thinking the VIN search is the best way. Should reveal all the plates the car ever had.
I also wondered If perhaps the web based plate search engines only search current plate numbers? This car has been off the road for a decade I think...

Meantime it looks like I'm out some time and $$$ to get a NY DMV search started.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 01:35 AM

if ny had that info they wont release it due to privacy laws
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Mmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangted1966 View Post
if ny had that info they wont release it due to privacy laws
Not so sure. I had a friend do the registration search for his Mustang, that was currently registered when he bought it 2 years ago and shipped it out to OZ. His search came back with the Surname and first Initial of every owner its ever had, and the plate number. However as one would expect, (and hope), no past owner addresses, but the rest was there.

In any case by way of an update and maybe of use to anyone else trying to do the same as I, I received my response from NY DMV today. Its attached.

As you can see still no luck as the registration expired more than 8 years ago.
Well that's their official reason anyway, however I'm sure if the Feds needed to know they would have a way of finding it!

If there is anyone who has any data from that dealership etc, I would really appreciate it.
I know some guys over on the concourse thread have had snippets of that sort of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NY DMV response 2.jpg (60.0 KB, 15 views)

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:01 AM

According to this page....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...910_to_present

License plates in NY from 66-72 had these formats:
A-1234
AB-1234
1234-A
1234-AB
1A-1234

If you just want it for novelty purposes and you want a plate from 68, you could just keep an eye on eBay and get a pair of original plates from 68. Here's one: 1966 1967 1968 1969 1973 NY New York Passenger License Plate Auto Tag - PAIR | eBay

Are you 100% sure the car was originally titled in NY? That dealership location isn't really too far from CT or NJ. Wonder if someone from one of those states could have driven to Bayside to get the car?

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***

Last edited by Dan Babb; 01-23-2017 at 10:05 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs Up Thanks Dan

Thanks Dan,

No I don't know that 100% for sure it was always NY registered. I just assumed so until I read your post. I know it was Metuchen made and sold by that NY dealer in March 68', (MARTI report).
I know it was NY registered as far back as 1985 too, but that's all I know. I guess its possible in went to NJ at the start, etc, who really knows? :-)

Its been off the road for a long time, it was one of those "dad lost interest" projects and had been sitting around Centrereach for a long time. All the last owners I know of where from there. But we're talking 1985 onwards. So theres 18 years missing.

However one good thing from that was that way back then they bought now almost unobtainable FORD sheet metal for the job, which was still all boxed up when I bought it, so that saved me some of the repro panel frustrations.

There is a place that makes nice replica period NY plates and I have a set of reproduction registration and inspection windshield stickers. I also have most of the last plate number still visible on the tatty registration papers, and the one unclear number I think I can take a good guess at, as theres some on it still there and can only really be one number, based on the shapes of the other digits on the paper. So even though the number may have changed over the years (do they always change?), I can order a set of 1968 NY plates with the number that it wore when last registered. Possibly better than some random old plates off the web.
If your link is correct my plate won't be the first one it wore anyway, as its 491-BTF (I think!)

But I was really hoping to establish what it was at the start. The DMV won't help, so I'm kinda running outa options! I'm sure there will be some place that has old records relating to VIN numbers, like finance or insurance companies, or a register of that sort of thing (liens etc), but I've no idea where to source them. Any ideas? Does VMF have any vintage car detectives out there?

Thanks in any case, appreciate the ideas and the link. I'm learning more every day...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rego front.jpg (56.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by mungus; 01-23-2017 at 11:22 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
I lived in NY for the first 34 Years of my life.. I'm 46 now...was born in 1970.. and moved from Long Island, NY to Melbourne,Florida in 2004.

The way NY used to do its License plates in the 1960's and 1970's (and still does)..... is that they issue new plates and plate numbers when you first register the car just like everywhere else in the U.S. . You can keep those Original plate numbers when they change over to different newer license plate designs, but you have to pay a fee..Usually like $15 or more if you want to keep your old original plate numbers, If you don't pay the fee, The state will just send you New Plates with brand new plate numbers.

Before I moved out of NY, My parents had their same License Plate Numbers on their cars from 1968 to 2001. Even when they bought newer cars, They just transferred the plates to the newer cars and kept the old plate numbers. They paid the extra fee to keep their plate numbers every time. When I moved down here to Florida, I took all of their old 1968 to 2001 license plates. They were all different plate designs spanning over 4 decades, but all the plates had the same two sets of plate numbers for 33 years.

About 4 years ago, I ran into a similar problem that you are having. Even though I knew the license plate number, I DID NOT know the VIN number of my Father's old 1966 Mustang Convertible that he owned from 1968 to 1975. I WANTED TO KNOW THAT VIN NUMBER....BADLY. I wrote letters to New York State, I wrote letters to the GEICO Insurance company, and I got letters back from both of them stating the same exact thing...that Sometime starting in the early 1990's, New York State and also the Geico Insurance Company, only keeps records going back 10 years, and then purges them. I was out of luck.. I'm sorry to say my friend, but you are at a dead end. I'll save you the trouble and just tell you that you'd be better off just to forget it. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's just reality. I fought it, but over time I just learned to accept it. There is no way you will ever get that information unless maybe you are an FBI agent, and even then its an impossible long shot at best.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Last edited by NEFaurora; 01-25-2017 at 08:42 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Tony, I think your advice is probably sound.
Unless one day someone with dealer records appears I have probably done all I can do.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 AM

As I recall NY plates from the 60's had two letters, designating the county or city, followed by four numbers. The three letter three number format came later.

68 Fastback.
351Windsor, 4sp, 8" 3.40 TracLok
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...ld-thread.html
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, great photo!

This link shows what the combinations and colours etc, that were used through the years in NY.
Yes the the format you described is one of those used (and the one shown in their picture) in 1968, but perhaps not the only one according to the stated options for that period.

Your post is a nice confirmation for me personally though, as it shows my car probably had its number changed From the original one issued in 1968.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehi...es_of_New_York

Last edited by mungus; 01-27-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page