VMF MAC Project List - Page 6 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #76 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:11 AM

Hello all! I have been priodically watching the VMF for ideas and advice lurking. I just retired from the Navy and am now permanently located in VA with a new job. I have good backyard mechanic skills and willing to help where I can. I am waiting on the power company to hook up power to my newly built, detached, 3 stall, Mustang palace so that I can start burning holes in my 70 project. Looking forward to taking part in whatever I can.

'68 J Code Convertible, [color:red][/color][color:blue][/color]'69 M Code Mach 1 Project (looking for a new home), [color:red][/color]'70 M Code Mach 1 Super Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 AM
White Elephant Guy

Send a message via AIM to obsidianspider Send a message via Yahoo to obsidianspider Send a message via Skype™ to obsidianspider
Welcome to the VMF!

Todd Dietrich - '66 T-Code Fastback, '14 GT Premium Track Pack w/Recaros
VMF Facebook Group
post #78 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 02:56 PM

1968 Fastback Project

I have a 1968 fastback with shelby fiberglass parts already installed. I need help with pretty much everything.

However, for now, I'm looking for help on body work (incl. rust restoration) and paint. I'm flexible with the time-frame but sooner is better than later.

I'm in Silver Spring, MD.

Thanks ... Jose

1968 Fastback Mustang

Last edited by Twinspoppa; 11-09-2010 at 03:00 PM.

post #79 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 AM

Hi, my name is Trysche (pronounced Trish) I am new to the forum and just purchased my first mustang, 68 meadowlark yellow convertible. I had a 76 in high school & college, but a 18 wheeler took it out. I have no idea where to start, does anyone have some suggestions? The car runs, no rust, I have ordered some books and manuals. Other than that, I want to get her on the road! I am in the Catonsville area, so glad to see many of you from the Balto-Wash area too. Thanks!

Trysche, Catonsville, MD

"PattyGirl"- 68 Mustang Convertible
post #80 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:14 AM

I just went through getting mine on the road for the first time... what engine do you have? Has it been driven a lot or was it sitting for a while?

I'm learning as I go with mine, so maybe some experienced guys can give better advice, but I'd say start with fixing anything that could hurt the engine... find out how if the fuel tank is rusted inside (or just drop a new one in, they're cheap), clean out the fuel lines, and put a new fuel filter in... change the oil and filter... stuff like that.

Then do an engine tune-up - distributor cap and rotor, plugs, wires, coil, air cleaner, all that good stuff, and see how it runs.

Also make sure your brakes are solid before you take it out anywhere.. My first project when I got mine was to replace EVERYTHING just to be sure. New lines, hoses, master cylinder, and rebuilt all the drums. It's easy to do even if you're new to cars, and you can make sure it's safe.

1966 Mustang Convertible. 200 I6 / C4 with large log head, Autolite 2100, COMP Cams 260H, Duraspark II with MSD 6a, and dual exhaust.
post #81 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Thank you for the info, I have a 200 I6 as well. I had brakes at the top of my list, but adding the rest now. I'll let you know how it goes, I really appreciate it!

Update:
I got her on the road last night, all belts and hoses are new, some issues with the lights, turn signals, battery draining fast, it think its the the starter solenoid, since some of the wiring looks a littled melted, and she has a small exhaust leak. I am going to clean her up and give her a tune up and go from there. I definately need to address the gas tank, there is no barrier.

Trysche, Catonsville, MD

Last edited by trysche; 07-19-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Update
post #82 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 AM

If you have trouble tracking down the battery drain, check your voltage regulator too. Mine had the original one with points and it would get stuck and completely drain my battery after a few days. I put a new solid state one on, and haven't had the problem since.

1966 Mustang Convertible. 200 I6 / C4 with large log head, Autolite 2100, COMP Cams 260H, Duraspark II with MSD 6a, and dual exhaust.
post #83 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:33 PM

I did an oil change, tuneup, replaced the cellinoid, put air in the tires, the brakes are still drum and I am going to change them in the fall before I put her away, I do need to replace the coil and alternator. The car hasn't been restored,but it has been maintained, I am guessing this is grandmom's first car that probably been inherited and then sold a couple times. It has a 22 gallon tank. I am lucky I have a friend who is a mechanic and doesn't mind me getting in the way and slowing him down. and I have the peace of mind that he's watching me work to make sure I am doing things correctly. Good luck with your car, email pics and project updates time to time, I really would like to see how it turned out.

Trysche, Catonsville, MD

post #84 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 08:41 PM

I just found out about this group and I'm happy to lend whatever help I can from my base in Richmond VA. I'm not a bad bondoman and I'm learning to weld so there's that. I can also help n00bs with stuff like timing chains, water pumps, stuff like that. I have a 200/C4 Falcon as a daily driver and my 2 Mustang projects are currently very low priorities. But the Falcon almost counts as a Mustang project...

Also I travel from Richmond to Syracuse and Cleveland fairly often, and I'm always happy to carry something bulky or heavy to save you on shipping costs. I plan on going to Cleveland very soon, as soon as it warms up. PM me with interest b/c otherwise I might not always check this thread regularly.
post #85 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Myopic

Good to know. Thanks.

Nick
1965 Fastback 410c AOD - DT
1967 Fastback 347 T5- Cruiser
1968 Fastback 408w T5 - Brute
1991 GT Hatch - Fauxbra
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page