Electric Steering with Fail-Safe: No eBay module needed. Pics & Videos ! - Page 11 - Vintage Mustang Forums

9Likes

post #151 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenichou289 View Post
It fits the Prius unit like it was made for it, not loose or tight.
I can confirm this 100%.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 PM

Garage
Oh I see. I'm missing the upper shaft that goes from the Prius steering wheel to the motor's splined shaft. That would simplify things.

Would anyone happen to know what the name of that part is? My ebay-foo is a little weak in tracking one of those down.
post #153 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser012001 View Post
Oh I see. I'm missing the upper shaft that goes from the Prius steering wheel to the motor's splined shaft. That would simplify things.

Would anyone happen to know what the name of that part is? My ebay-foo is a little weak in tracking one of those down.
The Toyota diagrams show it to be part of the EPS, perhaps reach out to the seller that you bought from for the missing piece?

'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion
'90 LX 5.0L

post #154 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser012001 View Post

I don't think you can get this separately. This spline is same between Toyota Prius and Saturn Vue!

Waid
post #155 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:57 PM

Excellent work! I am considering the 09 Prius EPS for my 1970 mustang. I am sorry if this has been answered before but is there any way to control the steering feel with this setup? The one plus it seems to the vue setup is the ability to adjust the steering feel.
post #156 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:44 AM

Another question.... With the non-abs Yaris eps requiring a VSS signal, would that mean you have no assist while not moving? That could be a big issue in parking lots and such.
post #157 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmd1 View Post
Excellent work! I am considering the 09 Prius EPS for my 1970 mustang. I am sorry if this has been answered before but is there any way to control the steering feel with this setup? The one plus it seems to the vue setup is the ability to adjust the steering feel.
The level of assist is fixed.

Quote:
Another question.... With the non-abs Yaris eps requiring a VSS signal, would that mean you have no assist while not moving? That could be a big issue in parking lots and such.
As I understand it, with the non-ABS Yaris controller, once the vehicle is moving the power steering ECU turns ON and will stay ON even when coming to a stop.

Andrew
post #158 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:47 PM

Thank you for the answers! The VSS issue is not as bad as I expected but I can still see it getting annoying to me... I wonder just how much of a difference speed compensated assist makes. I have hydraulic power steering with a rack and pinion now and absolutely hate how it gets feather light when RPMs are high (pump spinning faster). I have tried to add a restriction valve in but it does not do much at all. With EPAS I can get rid of all of that and clean up the engine bay in the process. Just concerned about doing all of this work to end up having the same issue of to much assist while at speed.
post #159 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
For the 04-09 Prius
Toyota Prius 04-09 Electric Power Steering Column Controller Unit - kit - EPAS | eBay

'67 Coupe, (347 in progress) w/ EFI
AOD w/ B&M short Megashifter
EPAS w/ Bruno Box
Shelby Drop, 17" Replica's
post #160 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:15 PM

Interesting. So it looks like this unit completely eliminates the need for a Toyota EPAS ECU. For 50 bucks it seems like a no brainer for testing.

Just ordered it...

Scratch that...I think this plugs into the stock ECU and adds variable assist. Awesome...

Andrew

Last edited by andrewb70; 03-17-2017 at 04:22 PM.
post #161 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Interesting. So it looks like this unit completely eliminates the need for a Toyota EPAS ECU. For 50 bucks it seems like a no brainer for testing.

Just ordered it...

Scratch that...I think this plugs into the stock ECU and adds variable assist. Awesome...

Andrew
You still need the ECU. This thing interfaces with Toyota ECU and will give you adjustable assist. You might lose the ability to self center the wheel when coming out of a turn just like the Saturn Vue issue. This is not not needed since Toyota has fixed fail-safe assist level.

Waid
post #162 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Just ordered it...

Andrew
Please do let us know how it works! Hopefully it does not remove the auto centering ability of the Toyota EPAS...
post #163 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waid302 View Post
You still need the ECU. This thing interfaces with Toyota ECU and will give you adjustable assist. You might lose the ability to self center the wheel when coming out of a turn just like the Saturn Vue issue. This is not not needed since Toyota has fixed fail-safe assist level.

Waid
I don't see why this would have anything to do with on center feel. As far as I can tell, this box tricks the Toyota ECU into thinking that it has a CAN bus connection and then feeds a variable input, via the knob, to alter the level of assist.

I have 3 ECUs I am going to play with and the first thing I am going to do is just install it in fail-safe mode. If that works for me at all speeds, I may just leave it. If I find that I would like variable assist, I will install the little black box and see how that works. If I like more assist at low speed and less assist at high speed, then I will remove the black box and use my Yaris non-ABS ECU and feed it a speed signal from my Holley Dominator ECU, so the level of assist will be automatic, based on speed.

That's the plan at least...but first, I need to get the hardware sorted out. I haven't really had the time to mess with any of that yet, but hopefully will tackle it soon.

Andrew
post #164 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Just ordered it...

Andrew
Please update us all on this. I would really like to know if it does affect the return to center. I have the saturn vue installed with with bruno box and am ready to try the pruis if I ge3t the return to center back. Especially right now since I have the motor out.

'67 Coupe, (347 in progress) w/ EFI
AOD w/ B&M short Megashifter
EPAS w/ Bruno Box
Shelby Drop, 17" Replica's
post #165 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't see why this would have anything to do with on center feel. As far as I can tell, this box tricks the Toyota ECU into thinking that it has a CAN bus connection and then feeds a variable input, via the knob, to alter the level of assist.
More than one person have reported this phenomenon with Saturn ECU and eBay box. The eBay box may not provide full CAN BUS signal and just enough to make it work. As a result, it may be holding the steering in place. I could be wrong.

Waid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page